Gaining muscle mass at 52 yrs old

Options
So here's my story....52yr old male,currently 6ft,178lbs.7 months ago I finished up a weight loss on the MediFast plan.I don't recommend this plan as it takes a lot of muscle with the fat.I went from a very unhealthy 238lbs to a sickly looking 173lbs.
After I lost the weight,I knew 173 was to light for me and set a goal of getting back up to 200lbs the right way.
I go to the gym regularly(5 days a week,lift heavy,no cardio)and eat what I consider a very healthy diet.
In the beginning,(7months ago)I believe I started out at 2,600 Calories and macros were 40%C,30%P,30%F.
I have been bumping up my calories and am currently at 3,600 Calories with the same macros.
While I have seen big changes in my body(strength going up,loose skin tightening up,toner,more definition),I am not seeing much difference at the scale.
I have been at my current 3,600 Calories for 4 weeks and am getting ready to bump them up again.
My questions are...Am I doing something wrong or do I need to be more patient?Am I close in my calorie and macro needs?Never thought I would have trouble gaining weight!
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions....

Replies

• PhotoSam
    PhotoSam Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am 58 years old. I have been actively lifting for about 4-5 years, and I can say that building mass/muscle is definitely possible.

Everybody is different in what works for them, in terms of caloric needs, and exercise. For me, for a long while, I was just lifting and no or little cardio (I lost my weight doing cardio). I have recently (re)learned that for me and my body type, the best plan is to do lots of cardio.

I used to take longer rests between sets, but found out this contributes to weight (fat) gain... I am currently trying to lean out.

My current workout schedule looks like this:
    Lifting 3 days a week, Mon, Wed, Sat. I do certain body parts/areas on each day. 2-3 variations worked for each area, and 15-20 reps for each set (to failure).
    Cardio (HIIT) on lifting rest/off days.
    My lifting has gone from just over an hour per session to about 40 min... Much shorter rest between sets & exercises to keep my heart rate up.

I guess my question for you is when you go to the gym, how long do your sessions last? What is your calorie expenditure? At the end of the day, are you at a surplus, or deficit? 3,600 calories seems like it should be high enough. I would guess you have either a high metabolism, or burning a lot of calories during your gym sessions, or both.

I know I kind of rambled, but I hope this helps, and the best of luck.
    -Sam
  • parentsof_3
    parentsof_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply....I typically spend 1:15 to 1:30 in the gym although my first 15-20 min consist of stretching,and and warming up. I usually rest 2-3 minutes between sets and shoot for 12-15 reps and heavy enough so that failure comes within those reps.
    This is all fairly new to me,so I'm not really sure on how I would begin to figure out what my expenditures are??But am definitely willing to learn.
    I guess right now you could say I'm my own s wince project,but I'm definitely loving every minute of it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Echo to what @PhotoSam said.
    I'm 57 and muscle building is very slow compared to the younger me. I got some "returning to lifting after a break newbie gains" fairly easily in my early 50's but after that it's a real grind.
    I used to be someone who would gain strength and muscle quickly but also lose it quickly when I stopped training - unfortunately only the second part is now true for me!

3,600 seems a lot but if you aren't gaining weight when you want to - eat more under you find the level where you gain weight slowly. If you have a remotely balanced diet eating that much should pretty much guarantee hitting macro minimums (which is the important thing - not percentages).
  • parentsof_3
    parentsof_3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply!Currently my diet looks like this....3,600 calories,270g Protien,120g Fat and 360g carbs.I plan my meals every day eating 4-5 meals every 2 1/2-3hrs and can usually come very close to hitting these numbers.I also Chase it all down with about 110 ounces of water as well.
    Wait a minute!!You mean to tell me it ain't gonna get any better the older I get??!! Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse! :)
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    While I have seen big changes in my body(strength going up,loose skin tightening up,toner,more definition),I am not seeing much difference at the scale.

To me this sounds like things are ideal.

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    3600 is plenty IMHO. Generally speaking your maintenance or TDEE will be in the range of 15-17 times your body weight. (source: Lyle McDonald at bodyrecomposition.com) Rounding up to 175, you top out under 3K.

I suspect you need to adjust your macros. Search youtube for Eric Helms's Nutritional Pyramid and watch it. (It's been several months since I did; so watch the video to check my numbers below.) When bulking, you should be fine with 1g of protein per pound of body weight (this is an approximation). Fats can be in the .3-.6g per pound of body weight. The rest are carbs. If we take those numbers and apply them to a 175lb male, we get 175g protein, top range of 105g fats and the rest carbs, which would be 488g on 3600 calories. Your current partitions are 270g protein, 120g fats and 360g carbs. The body can use only so much protein. It excretes the rest. Basically, you are making expensive urine.

You didn't say what program you are running. If it is a beginner program it may be time to move to an intermediate program (although you said you were still seeing strength gains; so, you may still have time at the beginner phase). If you made up the program on your own, it is time to switch to a designed program. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with helpful posts, containing a link to "What lifting program is best for me?"that has a wide variety of programs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would continue to bump your calories every few weeks until you start gaining weight. If you're not gaining at 3600 calories at your current weight, you must be pretty active.

I would aim in the area just over a gram per lb for protien. At 178lb, 190g of protien is reasonable. Make sure you are eating higher quality protien as studies have shown as we get closer to advanced age we don't absorb protien as well.

You made no mention on what lifting program you are running in the gym. It's a secondary thought, yet a very important one.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    edickson76 wrote: »
    3600 is plenty IMHO. Generally speaking your maintenance or TDEE will be in the range of 15-17 times your body weight. (source: Lyle McDonald at bodyrecomposition.com) Rounding up to 175, you top out under 3K.

I suspect you need to adjust your macros. Search youtube for Eric Helms's Nutritional Pyramid and watch it. (It's been several months since I did; so watch the video to check my numbers below.) When bulking, you should be fine with 1g of protein per pound of body weight (this is an approximation). Fats can be in the .3-.6g per pound of body weight. The rest are carbs. If we take those numbers and apply them to a 175lb male, we get 175g protein, top range of 105g fats and the rest carbs, which would be 488g on 3600 calories. Your current partitions are 270g protein, 120g fats and 360g carbs. The body can use only so much protein. It excretes the rest. Basically, you are making expensive urine.

You didn't say what program you are running. If it is a beginner program it may be time to move to an intermediate program (although you said you were still seeing strength gains; so, you may still have time at the beginner phase). If you made up the program on your own, it is time to switch to a designed program. There is a sticky at the top of this forum with helpful posts, containing a link to "What lifting program is best for me?"that has a wide variety of programs.

Hmmm... according to that formula I should maintain at 3900 or so calories (top end 17*230) but I've had my bulk stalled for a month at 4200. I've kicked it up north of 4500 now but have yet to push out of that stall. Besides, the OP already mentioned that 3600 was getting him nowhere and excess protein isn't wasted calories. It's still used by the body and not just pissed out. The added stress to the kidneys is caused by excess nitrogen waste products. Excess protein in the diet is either used for fuel or converted into fat. ;)

• Extreme_Design_Fitness
    Options
    I suggest bumping up your protein a bit and slightly lower the fat intake. As a person in my mid 40s and a personal trainer this formula works for me plus make sure you are getting enough sleep .. that's when the body grows .. you destroy your muscles in the gym and rebuild them in the bed. To gain muscle your optimal reps should be as heavy as you can for 6 to 8 reps reaching failure at 6 through 8.. if you are going 12 to 15 reps that's great to maintain you grow when you go heavier.. I hope this helps out
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's very difficult to gain muscle mass at any age.

You were fat with little muscle before. Bulking quickly will only make you fat again.

Are you lean muscle now or skinny-fat?

Make your goal gaining strength and a good hard physique.

Train 3 days per week whole body on an abbreviated routine. Give it 6 months of consistent training.

Example--

M-W-F

Rest T-TR-Sa-Su

Squats
    Bench press
    Barbell Rows
    Overhead press
    Barbell curls
    Deadlift

3 work sets. Works sets of 6 reps. Add weight whenever possible.

Don't train two days in a row. Rest.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. I was 275 lbs, lost 50 in 4 months looked sickly and started lifting again. I am 6'3 255 lbs of sidewalk cracking bar bending old man. Yeah I'm 51, all this since being on here in 2011.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    At our age it all starts to get slower, i am 48 been working out since i was in my teens and i still remember when muscle would grow week by week. Now i have to come up with different strategies to make or trick the muscle to grow. It is still possible just not as fast as when we were younger. By the looks of it you are doing well and you are eating well. Try changing up your routine more often so your body doesnt get used to it. Take a look at zilla at his age like us he is back to 255 i mean wow dude i wish i could gain that much
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I power lifted for 12 years, at 34 benched 505, squat 550, dead 605. Quit lifting, got fat, started back at 46. So in the 5 years since being back, lost 50 lbs and gained 25 of muscle, had knee surgery, had shoulder surgery, competed in crossfit, strongman, mud runs. Now this Saturday I go for 420 on the flat bench. I'm not a body builder but I do incorporate some of their stuff, I love power though. My workouts vary, some are high reps up to 50 for hypertrophy. I get good pumps but I love the lower reps.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Options
    Ah yes the good old days when weights would fly! I see you are lifting heavy zilla, and it shows my friend very good for you. Keep up the good work as you deserve it.
  • Jonnydebrasco
    Options
    Just a question zilla, what do you do as your job. Reason i ask is want to know how active you are.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited December 2017
    Options
    arenavles wrote: »
    Just a question zilla, what do you do as your job. Reason i ask is want to know how active you are.

I'm indoors all day now, been like this the past 2 or 3 years. Walking around or sitting. I've cut back on cardio and focussing on just getting stronger. Kinda like a slow bulk for winter. I may get to 265 before I start cutting back. Maybe drop to 230-240. Don't really care about the 6-pak right now, I'm at a 2-pak,lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Yes, you can. I was 275 lbs, lost 50 in 4 months looked sickly and started lifting again. I am 6'3 255 lbs of sidewalk cracking bar bending old man. Yeah I'm 51, all this since being on here in 2011.

I did same thing. I had to because of the weight jacked up my joints and had me walking with a cane from my autoimmune disease. I finally feel better enough to gain some weight back at 48, 6'3", 242lb. Gonna try to creep up to 260 after my next meet.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Heavy triples. Heavy singles on the big three lifts. Then more hypertrophy work on the assistance lifts. Training this way I am 40 lbs heavier then I was 6 years ago.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    My knees are pretty much shot. So I do what I can now to keep em toned. But benching, incline, over head, I'm killin it. Usually go heavy once a month. After that I hit 4 sets of 50 with 135, or 4 sets of 25 with 225 for my super hi reps. I call it cardio benchin,lol. I work back to 3-4 sets of 10 with 315. Week before heavy is sets of 5's or 3's with what ever I can, usually 365 to 395. During the 3 weeks before the max week I hit heavy tri's and heavy straight pullovers. Pullovers up to 185 lbs. Heavy tri work and heavy pullovers have kick started my bench. Everytime I go for a PR I get it.