Fasting & muscle gain/loss

Options

Replies

• jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice, I know that I need to eat more and am trying to work on it! I do not think I need to see anybody, as I am perfectly sound minded and nowhere near being underweight or anything like that.

Really appreciate all the input xx
  • moab63
    moab63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just for average muscle maintenance, you need 1 gram per kilo, more if you are doing gym work. You are in a catabolic state, for lack of calories and by definition energy. Your body won't care, about building or maintaining muscle when is starving.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice, I know that I need to eat more and am trying to work on it! I do not think I need to see anybody, as I am perfectly sound minded and nowhere near being underweight or anything like that.

is there a reason you choose to fast?
  • jordan_bowden
    Options

I used to fast without even realizing it and then one day I heard of IF did more research about it. I have it a shot and I find I feel way more energetic in a prolonged fasted state :)
  • jordan_bowden
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    OP -

So... I don't know you at all. I don't know what you're good at and I don't know where you struggle. I don't know what your real goals are, or if you even know what they are. I don't know what your triggers are, what you respond well to, or what sends you into a tailspin, so I apologize if I'm overstepping. But speaking very generally....

Recovering from poor habits, and especially poor relationships with food, can be hard. REALLY hard. It's hard mentally. It's hard emotionally. And it's hard pragmatically. Sometimes success is trading a really bad habit for a slightly less bad habit... at least it is for me.

From your post, it seems like you've got a lot going on. You're vegan. You fast. You IF. You're trying to get into lifting. You're hoping to grow your glutes. You're hoping to drop weight/fat/lean out/I'm not exactly sure. That's a lot.

IMO, I'd take a couple of days and really think about your goals. Then prioritize them. Pick 1 or 2 as the most important, then put look at the rest as tertiary. Then, once you have some focus, I'd work on building good habits that contribute to those goals, that set you up for success, that put you in a good place mentally to work towards those goals. If you need help figuring out the best ways to grow your glutes or to lean out or to stick to cals or whatever else, certainly ask -- there are some really helpful, really knowledgable people here. But ultimately, it sounds to me like you need to take a step back, see the bigger picture, and get a bit of focus.

Just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.

I guess I never really looked at things from that perspective. I tend to challenge myself and if I enjoy it, I will stick to it. I never thought it was too much but I am sure I could re-evaluate everything altogether.

Thanks again, for all your input everybody it is so appreciated! Definitely got a long way to go :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I used to fast without even realizing it and then one day I heard of IF did more research about it. I have it a shot and I find I feel way more energetic in a prolonged fasted state :)

Interesting comment when you admitted in the thread that I linked that your fasted due to an unhealthy relationship with food?
  • jordan_bowden
    Options

Interesting comment when you admitted in the thread that I linked that your fasted due to an unhealthy relationship with food?

Admittedly it was both. However I do not find that I struggle with the emotional side of it anymore. I don't feel guilty for eating or any negative feelings towards food. I merely find that I feel uncomfortable and more sluggish when I eat often
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Admittedly it was both. However I do not find that I struggle with the emotional side of it anymore. I don't feel guilty for eating or any negative feelings towards food. I merely find that I feel uncomfortable and more sluggish when I eat often

How do you feel about the fact you're massively undereating at the moment?
  • jordan_bowden
    Options

I don't really think about it much, I guess I don't care but I know it's affecting my progress so that does challenge me a bit.

I am trying to incorporate higher calorie foods into my diet, sometimes it just messes with my macros but I guess it's not the end of the world
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

I don't really think about it much, I guess I don't care but I know it's affecting my progress so that does challenge me a bit.

I am trying to incorporate higher calorie foods into my diet, sometimes it just messes with my macros but I guess it's not the end of the world

You don't care about your health... :huh: I guess that's the difference between being 18 and 35 :laugh:

*sigh*

How long would one have to "massively undereat" to have any meaningful, log term, negative effect on one's health?
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

You don't care about your health... :huh: I guess that's the difference between being 18 and 35 :laugh:

what are you doing? What is your end game here?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

When you don't provide your body with enough fuel to do the stuff it needs to do every day, and you are already fairly lean, your body will get some of that needed energy by going after your muscle tissue. So not only will you not build muscle, you will actually lose some. One of your most important muscles is your heart BTW. Your body will also to save energy stop doing non-essential stuff, like growing your hair and repairing tired cells.

The concern is that as noted earlier, you were struggling with this back in February. Six + months of under-eating is not just a little blip! Please take care of yourself :):flowerforyou:

Are you saying your heart will shrink if you eat too little?