How to drop carbs

Options
Hey I need some help on dropping carbs but I have no idea where to start...anybody got insight?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You just eat less carbs...ie instead of steak, potato, and veg you have steak and veg.

How low are you trying to go?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes calorie reduction. Smaller portions or fewer carbs....either method can work.

Look for a specific group for more info, as most people don't low carb
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • CockneyLady2014
    CockneyLady2014 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stabilise my insulin and therefore reducing fast release carbs (those that turn to sugar in an instant). I have cut out white bread and potatoes (apart from new potatoes). I have 2 pieces of fruit a day (not bananas or grapes) and trying to increase my vegetable / salad intake. MFP is very good at measuring carbs and sugar. You are more than welcome to add me as a friend and look at my daily food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fix more meals of just meat and vegetables and skip the bread, rice, pasta, etc.
    Switch out cereals for breakfast for eggs or yogurt or something non-grain based for breakfast.
    Instead of bread, sometimes make sandwiches with low carb wraps.
    Limit sweets
  • Dr_Fishbowl
    Dr_Fishbowl Posts: 42 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    First soak them in water then place them in the freezer for two to three hours then go to the nearest overpass then....ohh wait....we aren't talking about the same thing are we.....carry on.

In all seriousness it was salad for me. Instead of ham sandwich or tuna sandwich, ham and tuna salads, instead of hamburger or hot dog with with a bun, hamburger and hot dog salad. Switch out chips and french fries for baby carrots.So, veggie up basically.

Edit: Make sure you go light on the dressing, biggest mistake i've seen co workers make is thinking salad is healthy with a cup of dressing.....and no....no it isn't, and thats coming from the guy with chopped up hot dog in his.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You mean reduce the amount of carbs in your diet?

Log your typical day. Look at how much protein and fat you have, and how many calories you have. Do you need to cut calories, or just want to change the balance to more protein and fat?

If cutting calories, and you are comfortable with the amount of protein and fat, look at your sources of carbs and cut back -- smaller portions or if you have two major sources in a meal, maybe pick only one. If you are eating lots of carby snacks, consider cutting back on those.

If the calories are fine, but you need more protein (or want more fat), do basically the same thing, but also replace a snack with a higher protein one or increase protein servings (larger portion of fish or whatever). If you have a particular meal that is really low protein and high carb, consider switching it up.

If you have more specific difficulties, let us know!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When I went very low carb I first dropped refined and highly processed foods - the least healthy carbs. No more sugar, syrups, flours or starches (baked goods).

Then I cut starches like rice, potatoes, and other root vegetables, as well as dried fruit and tropical fruit, which are higher in sugar. Eventually I cut back on fruits even more.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    First drop the starchy side dishes. Substitute those potatoes, pasta, french fries, etc for salad or veggies.

Cut the bread, potato chips, etc.