Exercising cured my depression

Options
2»

Replies

• rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I so hope for my mood to get better with incorporating more exercise soon enough. Good work!
  • saraghali
    saraghali Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! How did you lose all this weight in just 4 months? Also what kind of exercice do you do?
    Thank you
  • anthonyhere
    anthonyhere Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well done! Keep focusing on your successes!
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress and story. It is great that you have found something that works for you and that you are willing to share your knowledge.

I am lucky that I do not suffer from depression but I still love the buzz I get from exercising.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You look amazing- so glad you are better- I find that I love exercise and it helps with my depression as well. I am still on medication BUT I am managing it and feel wonderful enough to go on with my life
  • Christiansan3148
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    You look amazing- so glad you are better- I find that I love exercise and it helps with my depression as well. I am still on medication BUT I am managing it and feel wonderful enough to go on with my life

Thank you for kind words. I hope that one day exercising will be your only medication. As for me, i was taking medication but i always felt like they do not cure my depression but only its symptoms. Doctors were ready to give me more and stronger pills. Antidepressants were messing with my mind and i think its the worst. But honestly thats not why i started exercising. I noticed how my body especially my heart started showing some warning signs. It never happened to me before. I was afraid for my life. I knew my body was rebelling against me and clearly telling me that if i wont start exercising i will get in trouble. So next day i woke up took the first picture that is shown above and started exercising.
  • Chanda2BFit
    Chanda2BFit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Inspiring!
  • cassiem6
    cassiem6 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I suffer from ptsd /depression and since last January started my fitness journey, honestly makes a massive difference, I wouldn't say it's a cure (adleast not for me) but definitely helped me shift my focus to living a happier life. I think exercise feeds your mental state and shifts your focus to improving. Not to mention the weight I gained throughout my rough patch a couple of years ago are now melting away and giving me confidence. I used to think it was funny how people say you need to work on yourself first, but now from first hand experience I totally understand that to be true :smiley:

You look great keep up the awesome work!
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It is great if physical exercise/activity helps with ones depression. Awesome, in fact. However, it does not do so for everyone experiencing depression.

So if anyone reading this wonderful success story falls into the latter group, just know there is absolutely nothing wrong with you if you are busting tail with the exercise/activity level with no results to show for it as far as effect on your depression.

^this. This is so important.
  • EatLikeAHuman
    EatLikeAHuman Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »
    I hope that one day exercising will be your only medication.

Why?

Exercising can have very beneficial effects on mental health and resilience, but medication has an important role, too. Failing to acknowledge that perpetuates the stigma that prevents many people from getting the treatment they desperately need.

I'm happy you found something that works for you, truly.

Thanks for this!

I have a mental health condition that can't be "beat". I'll need medication to manage it for the rest of my life. Exercise and eating well has helped my mood and physical health, but my goal is not to get off of my medication, any more than an amputee should have the goal of growing their leg back so they don't need a prosthetic.

That said! OP, you should be very proud of yourself, and if you find your condition can be managed without medication, I'm really glad for you! That must be a really victorious feeling. It's not possible for everybody, but exercise and eating right will never be a bad thing, and it's definitely a really important part of managing health, mental or physical!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Mine was not cured by exercising but I do feel better-I do have to take medicine and I can't help that but it is not anything to be ashamed of. We do what we must to make it and I am glad that exercise does help it.
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Totally !!!
    Exercise is medicine.
    I learned that later than sooner too, but hey, now we know ! ;)
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    great story great result congratulations :)
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. Awesome job. I started walking every night 20 days ago and my mood has lifted so much already too! Congratulations on beating the demon aka depression!!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Totally !!!
    Exercise is medicine.
    I learned that later than sooner too, but hey, now we know ! ;)
    And like all medicines (if you're going to use that metaphor), it doesn't help everyone. My depression is chronic and treatment resistant. Exercise doesn't come close to making a dent in it and long rides make it acutely worse. The only thing that helps is psychotherapy. While I don't know how much worse my depression would be if I wasn't in therapy, I do know that I wouldn't be nearly as functional as I am now.
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have lived with grief and depression for many years now and exercise is my key to maintaining a life that is more level and meaningful. I recently switched to visiting the gym before work and I can’t believe the difference it’s made to my mood.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Exercise can often help the reasons for depression such as low self-esteem or lack of direction, not just increase happy hormones from being active.

Completing a workout, or achieving a strength or endurance Personal Best is a powerful boost not just to endorphins, but to one's feelings of overall self-worth and accomplishment which so often influence depression.

Of course, every individual's reasons for depression are different, and not everyone's depression relates to self-worth.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!