Muscle turn to fat?

Options
I've been doing weights for a few months and the last few weeks I haven't been doing much/any exercise.
My diet is healthy but feel like my body have gone very frumpy?
Was just wondering if stopping weights will turn muscle into fat? Or whether it will take twice as much work with cardio to lose the weight without doing weights.
Thank you

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't turn into fat. But you lose muscle mass if you don't use them.

You lose weight by consistently eating less (fewer calories than you burn).

If you're gaining weight, you're eating more than you burn. A diet isn't healthy if it makes you gain weight (unless you need to gain weight).
  • izabella813
    izabella813 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want my Astra to turn in to an Audi

• HOKA36
    HOKA36 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Nope is your short answer. Muscle doesn't morph into fat. If it did there would be people who are just fatty blobs with no muscle structure to support bone structure
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    HOKA36 wrote: »
    Nope is your short answer. Muscle doesn't morph into fat. If it did there would be people who are just fatty blobs with no muscle structure to support bone structure

i cant stop laughing
  • izabella813
    Options
    Rephrase - will losing muscle lead to weight gain? is what I meant. Obviously I know muscle won't magic into fat.
    But thanks for the answers!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Rephrase - will losing muscle lead to weight gain? is what I meant. Obviously I know muscle won't magic into fat.
    But thanks for the answers!

No, losing muscle will not lead to weight gain.
    Was just wondering if stopping weights will turn muscle into fat? Or whether it will take twice as much work with cardio to lose the weight without doing weights.

If you work on losing weight and do not do any resistance exercise (lifting weights, calisthenics, TRX, etc.), you put yourself at risk of losing more muscle than necessary along the way. This often ends in a person arriving at her goal weight and then not liking her body composition (lean mass vs fat mass) and thinking she's still too soft looking.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Having more muscle causes you to burn more calories but the increased calorie burn isn't enough to be very concerned about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Muscle doesn't turn into fat. Losing muscle doesn't necessarily result in gaining fat. If you were exercising more and now you're exercising less and you are gaining fat, it is because the energy (calories) coming in are exceeding your calories going out regardless of how healthy your diet is from a nutrition standpoint.

That said, much of what you're feeling is probably just that...the feelz. Anytime I miss exercise for any extended period of time I start to feel kinda crappy and I look in the mirror and I see things that aren't there and I know it's silly because nothing is really different on the scale...I think it's mostly that I just feel better all around when I'm getting regular exercise and that impacts the way I see myself and a lot of other things in the world.
  • izabella813
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Muscle doesn't turn into fat. Losing muscle doesn't necessarily result in gaining fat. If you were exercising more and now you're exercising less and you are gaining fat, it is because the energy (calories) coming in are exceeding your calories going out regardless of how healthy your diet is from a nutrition standpoint.

That said, much of what you're feeling is probably just that...the feelz. Anytime I miss exercise for any extended period of time I start to feel kinda crappy and I look in the mirror and I see things that aren't there and I know it's silly because nothing is really different on the scale...I think it's mostly that I just feel better all around when I'm getting regular exercise and that impacts the way I see myself and a lot of other things in the world.

Thanks so much! That's very helpful!