Why I need some friends to help

Options
When I lost weight about 6 years ago I had a diet buddy and she kept me on the straight and narrow. This time around I don’t have that same support.

At the start of 2006 I met my partner who I live with. She is a chronic anorexic, having suffered for nearly 20 years. She was working full time in a professional job but over time her health failed and earlier this year she went into hospital. The good news is that she is making great progress and despite the length of her illness her underlying health seems to be good. Which after a number of barren years means that she may now be able to have a baby.

But and it’s a big but, she really can’t support me in my weight loss at a time when she is under treatment to go the other way. My dieting and fitness is really hard for her to take. She is trying to break out of restricting food I am trying to keep restricting food. Its fair to say neither of us have a healthy relationship with food.

A couple of months ago I thought it’s time for me to lose weight and get healthy again so when she comes out and is in recovery we can both make healthy choices.

I need your help.

I can’t talk to her about my achievements, pounds I have lost, clothes that have got loser. That would be like describing a great wine to an alcoholic.
I also moved away from my friends and family when we relocated to be nearer her family. I have to spend 3-4 days a week 250 miles away from home.

So I desperately need active friends who can help inspire me and hopefully I can return the favour.
A bit about me, 42 year old Essex man now living in Lancashire working mainly in London. I work in computing/sales. I am a Chelsea fan and an old mod. My down fall is beer and chocolate.

I am down 20lb have 60lb more to go.

Please help me get there.

Replies

• ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    im here for u .....u can add me if u want. I no u can do this...so lets do it.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You have definately come to the right place for enouragement, inspiration and support! Best wishes on your journey. I'm sending good thoughts to your partner in her recovery as well.

:happy:
  • dljmurphy
    Options
    It sounds like you and your partner are each taking on brave journeys. I commend you both for taking steps to better your health. I'd be happy to be a supportive buddy!
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! You have a lot going on, but you are in the right place!!1 This site is wonderful and you will find support from all over the world. I obviously can not provide physical support, but If I can help in any way please let me know!!! You can do this good luck
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I also live in a relationship that makes it hard for me to lose weight. He is an alcoholic and extremely lazy. He tries to support me in my goals but he usually pushes bad choices on me.

I am still active, even though I have to do it alone.

Add me! We can support each other! :)
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    you can add me as a friend if you want! You got this! I didn't expect to find support here at MFP, just a way for me to track my progress, calories, and fitness at first, but I have met a lot of awesome people on here since starting in March and never had so much support! You are in the right place!
  • danie2010dw
    danie2010dw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    WELCOME !!!!!
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The more people helping each other along the better.

Little about myself. 23yr Man from Lowell MA. NOT a Chelsea fan, Fulham man myself but I can respect them. Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello! I think we all need friends! I am still trying to meet new people myself
  • bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Sounds like your backs against the wall a little mate.Good to hear that your partner is making good progress. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far,considering what you have going on,Its pretty amazing.
    I have health issues myself that I have to deal with on a daily basis,but have found this site and the folks on it to be a great help and a fantastic source of motivation.

I live in the midlands,so not too far away from yourself,I actually used to work and live in Leyland...even closer.
    I am on here daily and would be more than happy for you to add me for support.i work out each day in some form,whether it be walking,cycling or p90x.The best thing is to gather a good bunch of folks that can help you along the way,whether it be motivation,kind words,crack a few jokes or garner inspiration form other diaries,I have rediscovered foods that I had long since forgotten about.

Keep up the good work.

I wish you good luck in achieving your goals and all the best going forward.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'll send you a friend request! I've had a similar experience.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you have definitely come to the right place. You are in an even harder situation because of your partner, but you both need to get healthy, and I suspect as her recovery becomes more stable, she will be able to be more supportive. In the mean time, we are here to support you! Know that every day will be different - there will be victories, and there will be days that don't go so well. The good news is that you can put the bad days behind you and move forward. No need to dwell on the garbage stuff, but, be accountable, and move past the less than ideal days. I strongly encourage you to seek out friendly challenges to keep you motivated and engaged. Drink plenty of water, and track everything that you eat daily. It will help you to see where you are doing well and where you need to make changes. Also, make sure to incorporate regular exercise into your routine, and push yourself out of your comfort zone. GOOD LUCK!
  • danssmith
    Options
    Thanks. Looks like I have been missing out on one of the best things on here, the support of others.

I'm off to be now as I have a 4am start but I look forward to getting to know you all better and hopefully helping you along as you help me.
  • Ladymomo9
    Ladymomo9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add me!!
  • ncgatorfan
    ncgatorfan Posts: 517
    Options
    Your story really touched me. How stressful! Please feel free to add me and I will give you as much support as I can! Welcome to this wonderful family. You will find the support incredible.
  • DAVEGETSLEAN
    DAVEGETSLEAN Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good to meet you. Friend request already sent.