AIP (Autoimmune Paleo/Protocol)

Options
I've been on an elimination diet (no sugar, beef, dairy, eggs, gluten, soy, and a few other items) and have been able to improve some joint pain with which I've been struggling. However, the improvement was not as drastic as I'd hoped.

I have a friend who has gone through the AIP diet and had massive fatigue/pain decreases. She actually cannot tolerate nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, warming spices), rice, or beans.

So if anyone has tried it, do you have suggestions? I seem to have nightshades in everything, and I love beans! I think it would be a huge struggle for me, and I'd love some tasty and easy recipes to test.

I don't know if the AIP diet would be sustainable for me, but if it's helped others and I can find a way to manage I'd like to give it a go.

Thanks!

Replies

• justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for post, sounds like my husband would benefit from this plan...
  • runsmiley
    runsmiley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started AIP bc I had body aches, rash and Hashimotos. The biggest triggers for my joint pain and swelling in my hands is nightshade and dairy.
    I've found othe flavors that are good (ginger for some heat), but nothing replaces hot sauce! It's not easy, but my body feels much better when I avoid my sensitivities. Beans aren't a big deal for me. I've tried them once or twice since and seemed to do ok. The website and book are a great resource.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Could you link me to some good AIP resources?
  • runsmiley
    Options
    https://www.thepaleomom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Yes-No-Maybe-So-List.pdf

http://autoimmunewellness.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol-print-out-guides/

AIP for you and me on FB

I like Paleomom website. NomNom Paleo has a lot of recipes that can easily be made AIP. I think it easiest to keep it simple. Prep and cook in bulk. I like to make two trays of roasted veggies. Breakfast is usually leftovers. Lunch a salad w leftover meat or canned tuna (Costco makes one that's compliant or Wild Planet). Dinner I usually make.
    My easy shopping things: roasted veggies, cauliflower (I make my own cauli-rice but you can buy it made), zucchini noodles w shrimp (w coconut milk and lemongrass!), Trader Joe's has compliant turkey burgers make w sautéed spinach. Roasted sweet potatoes or white sweet potatoes. Chicken wings when I'm going to a party.
    Make a soup from butternut squash w Apple, onion and add coconut milk. Once you get to know what items are compliant it gets easier.
    Coconut aminos and fish sauce are staples.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    My experience - almost no one I've known needs to be off of all of the things on the AIP diet to be better. Many, MANY people I know have done tons better off of SOME of the things in the diet, if they have issues like pain, inflammation, etc... So most folks I know never stay on the protocol long term to still get benefit.

The biggest issue i've come across for folks with joint pain and inflammation seems to be that aside from some massive obvious triggers (like, you react within minutes of eating a specific ingredient), it can be nearly impossible to really tell what you react to UNTIL you ditch it for a couple weeks and then try to introduce it in again.

The AIP protocol is often great as a template for helping you avoid some of the more common inflammation triggers for a couple weeks, while ALSO avoiding a whole bunch of other stuff you don't even intend to, because they exist in processed food which you can pretty much no longer have on the AIP.

So from that standpoint, it's a GREAT diet to try out for a few weeks to see if you feel better. And then, IMHO, you start trying to add things back in, one ingredient at a time, until you have a good idea of what is a problem.

A piece of advice I would have is that, even on the AIP, see if you can manage not to eat any single ingredient two days in a row. That way, if you are unlucky enough to react to something still IN your diet, you may at least have some break between reactions and start to notice the pattern enough to help you track it down.

Oh, and when I say any ingredient, I mean ANY. As an example in my own elimination diet: I reacted to my salt. Which sounds ridiculous, but I had salt every day, so I reacted every day, and I had no idea until one day I ran out of salt for a couple days and started feeling better. And then got worse again when I bought new salt.

Turns out, I react to a chemical (sulfites) commonly used to bleach salt white, and there was enough remaining on my bleached salt that I would react. But seriously - who would think that their salt is making them sick, right?

Another suggestion I'd have is to record down all the names of farms/companies that grow/make your foods. Example from my own life - I was trying to alternate oils. Still always sick. Then realized I was reacting to ALL my oils, and thought oil was an issue, as weird as it was.

Turns out, the oils were all from the same company, and it happened to process one of my allergens on the same line as all the oils, so I was reacting to cross contamination from one oil rather than reacting to all. Wouldn't have figured it out if not for looking at the labels when putting them away, once, and making some calls to the company.

Wishing you good luck, and I hope it helps you. I had to eliminate a Lot, but for me...it made a massive difference in my pain and inflammation levels, not to mention headaches, insomnia, and even anger management levels, weirdly. Huge help, definitely worth at least exploring, IMO, just to see if it helps!

Oh my gosh, thank you! I can't believe that salt and cross-contamination of oils were making you feel ill. I think I'll give it a go! I really appreciate all your insight.
  • mightyminerva
    Options
    runsmiley wrote: »
    I started AIP bc I had body aches, rash and Hashimotos. The biggest triggers for my joint pain and swelling in my hands is nightshade and dairy.
    I've found othe flavors that are good (ginger for some heat), but nothing replaces hot sauce! It's not easy, but my body feels much better when I avoid my sensitivities. Beans aren't a big deal for me. I've tried them once or twice since and seemed to do ok. The website and book are a great resource.

I think my biggest issue would be eliminating nightshades. My husband is Pakistani (and brought me a love of hot and spicy foods!), and so tomatoes and peppers/chilis are a huge part of flavoring our food. Thank you for sharing!
  • mightyminerva
    Options

AIP for you and me on FB

I like Paleomom website. NomNom Paleo has a lot of recipes that can easily be made AIP. I think it easiest to keep it simple. Prep and cook in bulk. I like to make two trays of roasted veggies. Breakfast is usually leftovers. Lunch a salad w leftover meat or canned tuna (Costco makes one that's compliant or Wild Planet). Dinner I usually make.
    My easy shopping things: roasted veggies, cauliflower (I make my own cauli-rice but you can buy it made), zucchini noodles w shrimp (w coconut milk and lemongrass!), Trader Joe's has compliant turkey burgers make w sautéed spinach. Roasted sweet potatoes or white sweet potatoes. Chicken wings when I'm going to a party.
    Make a soup from butternut squash w Apple, onion and add coconut milk. Once you get to know what items are compliant it gets easier.

Thank you! I already use coconut aminos, but I think I'll have to try using more fish sauce. Do you have a recipe for the shrimp with coconut milk and lemongrass?

I have this book, and I've tried a handful of things that have been delicious: https://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Paleo-Cookbook-Allergen-Free-Approach/dp/0578135213

Also, this is one of my favorite recipes! I've altered it so that they're mostly chicken and so that I bake them instead of frying, but the flavor is great, and the tzatziki sauce is AMAZING: http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com/2013/04/aip-day-10-and-still-counting.html
  • runsmiley
    Options

I think my biggest issue would be eliminating nightshades. My husband is Pakistani (and brought me a love of hot and spicy foods!), and so tomatoes and peppers/chilis are a huge part of flavoring our food. Thank you for sharing!

Nightshades were tough for me. I miss tomato sauces (always hated raw tomatoes) and hot sauce.
  • runsmiley
    Options

AIP for you and me on FB

Thank you! I already use coconut aminos, but I think I'll have to try using more fish sauce. Do you have a recipe for the shrimp with coconut milk and lemongrass?

I have this book, and I've tried a handful of things that have been delicious: https://www.amazon.com/Autoimmune-Paleo-Cookbook-Allergen-Free-Approach/dp/0578135213

Also, this is one of my favorite recipes! I've altered it so that they're mostly chicken and so that I bake them instead of frying, but the flavor is great, and the tzatziki sauce is AMAZING: http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com/2013/04/aip-day-10-and-still-counting.html

No recipe for the shrimp recipe. add coconut milk and some peeled/smashed lemongrass to a pan and warm it. A couple shakes of fish sauce and coconuts aminos. Add sautéed shrimp.

That tzatziki sauce sounds amazing! I'm going to give it a try next week.
  • ZLBmNms
    ZLBmNms Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm a holistic nutritional therapist who had many health issues in the past - hence going to school for holistic nutrition. AIP is a great general dietary protocol but what works for one person may not work for another. I would also recommend the GAPS diet as a basic outline of beginning an elimination diet. It is very healing and restorative the gut. Gut imbalances can cause many health problems since 80% of our immune system is in our stomach. Again, these are basic protocols and I would try to add back certain foods one at a time after some time - staying off of those that you are reactive to - in order to benefit from a variety of nutrients. Staying too long on a restrictive diet deprives your body of the many benefits from other foods. I would definitely eliminate all the main allergy / food sensitivity culprits - nightshades, gluten, all grains, dairy, soy, and peanuts. Some of your other underlying issues could be yeast/fungal overgrowth, mold toxicity, metal toxicity, hormonal imbalances - including low thyroid, etc.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am on AIP, and it has been great for my Crohn's. It's at least an excellent starting tool for the first few wekks/months depending on how long it takes to heal. I know that beans and heavy dairy have always been huge triggers, and probably always will be. I can eat eggs, but no Coconut, which is AIP. Legumes, grains, and nuts aRe gray areas for now, so I will try to add them later. I also have to.cook everything including vegetables. It's a great template, but not meant to be long term. :)

Oh and my family is Egyptian, so i totally get the love! Autoimmune Wellness and phoenix helix are my favorite resources for practical use. Paleo Mom is Science heavy sometimes.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    ZLB702 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm a holistic nutritional therapist who had many health issues in the past - hence going to school for holistic nutrition. AIP is a great general dietary protocol but what works for one person may not work for another. I would also recommend the GAPS diet as a basic outline of beginning an elimination diet. It is very healing and restorative the gut. Gut imbalances can cause many health problems since 80% of our immune system is in our stomach. Again, these are basic protocols and I would try to add back certain foods one at a time after some time - staying off of those that you are reactive to - in order to benefit from a variety of nutrients. Staying too long on a restrictive diet deprives your body of the many benefits from other foods. I would definitely eliminate all the main allergy / food sensitivity culprits - nightshades, gluten, all grains, dairy, soy, and peanuts. Some of your other underlying issues could be yeast/fungal overgrowth, mold toxicity, metal toxicity, hormonal imbalances - including low thyroid, etc.

No. If she actually had those, she would need a hospital, not a diet change.