Cardio....

Options
What's everyones favourite cardio or the best that helps you lose better. I'm looking to mix things up a little bit and just wondering what helps you best ☺

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you do cardio for weight loss what happens when you get to goal weight?
    Stop exercising and be unfit and unhealthy perhaps?

My favourite cardio activity is cycling in beautiful countryside - biggest burns come from the longest distance but I fuel my exercise.

What do you enjoy? What facilities do you have? What are your fitness or sporting goals?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    My favourite is cycling ... especially cycling long distances.

I also like walking ... especially as a part of my commute, at lunch, and to the beach after work with my husband.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love hiking and biking. Every day, I go to the gym early so it's done before my hectic day begins. I love using the elliptical and alternating speed and intensity level. I find 2 mins. Intervals mix things up and keep me from getting bored.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The best kind of cardio is the kind you enjoy. For me, I love great music and Zumba is awesome to get a great workout while dancing up a storm. I mix it up a bit though -- I also love kickboxing which I find therapeutic to let out any pent up aggression. I find for me, having classes with set times, helps me keep on track... they're already on my calendar so the excuse of "I have no time" is eliminated. But you should do what you love -- walking, running, cycling, spin class, step aerobics, dance, machines of various types, rowing -- the lust is endless! Try them all and see what's fun... then do that!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The best cardio that helps you lose better? MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back (or a portion) so for me it doesn't help you lose better. While it enhances your weight loss efforts, exercise overall is for better health over all, perhaps if you are training/exercising with specific fitness goals in mind.

A mix of cardio and strength training is a best mix. Strength training will help you maintain your muscle mass while eating a calorie deficit and potentially build a little muscle in the beginning of strength training too. Cardio will help you overall with cardio vascular health. Hopefully you will exercise way past weight loss and into maintaining your weight and future health.

Decide if maintaining your muscle mass is important during weight loss, and choose a resistance program. If you will enjoy cardio, try out various things like walking, running, biking, elliptical, stair master, and many more.

The cardio and strength training that you 'will do' is actually the best for you! And you can choose to just be more active overall as in moving more like enjoying fun activities things that keep you mobile and active in general.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I love cycling, not because it burns a bunch of calories (which it does) but because it is a great way to get out and see the city. It's amazing how beautiful Fort Worth is when you get away from the ribbon of concrete we call a freeway.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Spinning!
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    In the gym it's either the treadmill or the rowing-machine.

In "real-life" it's cycling (75 mi +) and running (currently at 10 mi but preparing for a Marathon in April).
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I love the eliptical and spinning. My old knees keep me from running anymore. I trained for a 10k last year and was pretty miserable by the end (but I did it!).
    Nothing gets me sweating like spinning. Love it!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like running- preferably outside, but I don't mind the "dreadmill" now that I can download Netflix stuff and watch offline lol.

I also do a lot of walking- I walk everyday at lunch, and I have two dogs I take on walks daily as well. Don't forget, walking is a great form of exercise :)

I get really badly saddle sore with biking and spinning- I have not found a great way to get around it yet, so I don't really do those things regularly.

I am a former swimmer- that is fantastic cardio if you have access to a pool and a suit and know how to swim. I don't go very often these days, but I have been thinking about adding a day of swimming to my routine.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I get all my cardio in through spinning and through HIIT. I like it because it doesn't take a ton of time to get an effective workout in and done.
  • Blondie1984
    Blondie1984 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love taking my dogs for a jog. It gives them great exercise and it makes them happy. When they are happy im happy!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    In the gym I like both the bicycle and the arm ergometer (aka arm bike). It's always easy for me to keep going on these once I get started.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Try different things until you find something you enjoy. For me, that is a mix of spinning classes, jogging and arc trainer at the gym.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love to run but it is for the health benefits instead of weight loss though its a good calorie burner too! I love to run: freedom, fresh air, sunshine, quiet and peaceful
  • cbl2739
    cbl2739 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started doing MMA and Muay Thai classes last month, love them! You get a little of everything in them, including cardio especially when we warm up with jump ropes. Even if you do not do martial arts, jump roping is great cardio. Nothing gets my heart rate up faster.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I cycle...I cycled when I was losing weight and I cycle in maintenance...the difference between the two is how many calories I'm consuming. Anything you do to move more will increase your energy expenditure which is a nice bonus...how much would depend on mass moved over distance and intensity, not the particular exercise itself.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    barbell complexes, kettlebell complexes, tire flips, sled push/pulls, battle ropes, rowing, hill sprints
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Walking and bike riding.