Painful shins/legs when running

Options
Guys looking for some tips of the discussion title. Have just taken up running/walking to help with weight loss but am finding it difficult to keep up a benificial pace due to my shins/legs absolutely killing me with pain when I get into the session.

Does any one have any tips on how to over come this issue. I would really like to be able to continue on my journey without pain!

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Shin pain is usually shin splints, caused by an increase in exercise "too much too quick" to get rid you need to rest for up to two weeks, try walking only no power walking though, after a week increase the effort walking then introduce jogging but don't over do it, reduce effort on hills and don't run up or down steps, in a couple of weeks find yourself a walk to run training plan and stick to it.
    Well done for getting out there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a well paced program like c25k?
  • moab63
    moab63 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Too much, too soon. also surface and even shoes. The first month is usually the hardest, 15-20 min at the time, maybe even run- walk. Three days per week, for the pain ice and an aspirin or two. Stick with it, but take it slow.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You'll need to stop and heal, or it'll just get worse. Got some good muscle damage going on there. Ice only good within 12-24 hrs, after that just walk to keep blood flow going. But walking may do the below for you.

But to prevent it next time, the usual reason for shin splints is because of the eccentric pull on that muscle next to the shin.
    If you heal land to some degree. And most do, especially when starting.

That muscle is pulling the front of the foot up to clear the ground - not exactly a heavy job, so it's not exactly a big muscle.

But when most people land on their heal in front of them, that actions forces the front of the foot down - so the muscle is under tension while it is being lengthened - and that eccentric action is the most damaging to muscle. Great when lifting, like 3 x 8 reps. Not when running, like 3000 reps perhaps full body weight on little muscle.
    If you heard slapping of foot, muscle was letting go fast or big heal lander. If you controlled it more and no noise, muscle really used, no wonder hurting.

You can try to land more flat footed and stop the reason for it. When you get to a faster pace that is more form efficient, that almost happens automatically anyway. But no reason you can't start early!

Notice this lifting workout for actually working that muscle. I'm not suggesting you do this, merely showing how the heal action causes that muscle to be worked, and how heal landing is exactly the same.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/TibialisAnterior/LV45ReverseCalfPress.html

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Just going from my own experience - make sure you are correctly fitted for your running shoes. I used to get awful shin splints when I first started running (trotting!). I didn't want to buy expensive trainers as I didn't feel that I could justify the money for myself for something I was so bad at, but oh boy, I got a gait analysis done, found out I overpronate (didn't even know what that was!), got some Brooks and wow, what a difference. Sadly they didn't turn me into Zola Budd but the pain went away. Might not be that of course, you've had lots of good advice, but it sure worked for me.
  • nballos77
    nballos77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try puting some ice on your legs for a few minutes after you finish your running session
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Check you have suitable shoes and take it easy. I have also found compression running socks help me significantly with achey legs post-run.
  • mcraw75
    mcraw75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most inexperienced runners tend to over stride and lean forward. Try smaller strides and run with your torso straight and head up.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have your gait looked at at a decent store and make sure your shoes are appropriate. Still think this is the number 1 reason I had the same problem.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Just going from my own experience - make sure you are correctly fitted for your running shoes. I used to get awful shin splints when I first started running (trotting!). I didn't want to buy expensive trainers as I didn't feel that I could justify the money for myself for something I was so bad at, but oh boy, I got a gait analysis done, found out I overpronate (didn't even know what that was!), got some Brooks and wow, what a difference. Sadly they didn't turn me into Zola Budd but the pain went away. Might not be that of course, you've had lots of good advice, but it sure worked for me.

Same for me! I got fitting for Saucony's at my local running store after a gait analysis and immediately the pain I was feeling in my shins disappeared. I was grumpy about the price tag until I got to use them- it was an amazing difference.

Additionally, as others have said, don't do too much too fast- use a program like Zenlabs C25k app (free) to slowly build up your running. I also just starting with walking more for a few weeks when I first started, before even trying C25k- but I may have started more out of shape then you did.

Good luck!
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This is a helpful post, I am in a month of trying to jog/run. I hate running because I feel awkward and it hurts my ankles and shins and honestly, I can do it for very long... But I LOVE the idea of running, being out doors, free with my thoughts, burning calories and being healthy and in better shape. I was able to jog a full mile for the first time this week. I was sucking wind and sweating like crazy but it felt good to go that long despite the pain in my ankles and shins. I am going to look into getting fitted for sneakers and that C25k app... Thanks for the post!!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Good advice thus far. Take it slow (both while running and in the number of days per week that you do run) and gradually build yourself up to running full-time. New shoes are critical - they made my leg pains disappear immediately (both because of the new cushioning and because they provided the stability I need with my running stride).

Also, focus on learning to run with relatively short strides where your feet land directly below your center of gravity (google for running cadence and you'll get a ton of hits for what to work on) to avoid overstriding (which puts a massive amount of strain on your knees). You'll find your legs feel much less 'beat up' after a run if you learn to land soft.

Finally stretch your calves a lot after a run. It can help to alleviate shin splits.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Need to allow time for you muscle to develop and your vasculature to develop the new capillary beds to support this new activity. Ice your legs down frequently, massage, and stretch.

While seated put your right foot over your left knee and rock your left foot back and forth - full extension and retraction 20x. Switch legs and repeat with the other foot.

This will go away in time - don't go too fast too soon.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I increase my walking pace, usually slowing down will take the pain away. Doing a warm up and cool down may be befinical as well. Like other posts have said getting a good pair of shoes can help. Mostly just listen to your body, if your legs are hurting because you're running faster or longer than normal then go back to when it didn't hurt and start increasing at a smaller scale.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I just switched from walking to jogging a couple of months ago, and I was definitely getting the shin pain that I assume was splints. What worked for me was alternating very short jogs with mostly walking until it stopped happening, which took maybe a month. Now I'm jogging about a mile every morning with no shin pain at all.
  • ptcampgymokc
    ptcampgymokc Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I recommend stopping the high impact exercise (I.e. Running) until you heal. You could do pool exercises which a very low impact yet provide great benefits. Biking might be an alternative also.
    Most important... Go get medical opinion, pain like you describe is you body giving warning of something you need to address.