Tips for running!

Options
So to sum up my history with running when I was overweight I never ran, I hated it. I played sports but I just hated running. At a normal weight I started using C25K and at the time was struggling with an eating disorder and I didn't really over do it with running but it was more as a punishment other than something I enjoyed. I never finished the program, I stopped working out for like 6 months then started with C25K but on and off and didn't finish it. Now I just select random workouts from the app and I still run like 2-3 days a week but it's not a lot and I love the feeling after running, it's the most convenient to do, and I like it better than other cardio. I'm not a small thin person, as in I don't look like a traditional distance runner but I want to do a 5k eventually. What are your tips on training and not getting burned out with it? And what kind of foods are good to eat when training? I always get conflicting advice. Also my mile time is 10-12 minutes and I'm in college so I'm busy as well. Thanks for the tips!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, go to a local running store, have them look at your running style, and get shoes suited to that style. It's a little less convenient than picking them off the shelf yourself or buying online, but I think it's one of the best investments a runner can make for comfort and injury prevention.

The best foods to eat are the foods that make you feel good and provide you with energy. I can tell you what types of foods do that for me, but yours might be totally different. By logging my food, I was gradually able to determine what types of meals and macros were associated with the runs where I felt better. Generally speaking, I feel best on a diet of moderate fat and higher carbohydrates, always making sure to get sufficient protein.

I never really feel burnt out on running so I don't have great advice there. I do try to set realistic commitments for myself and I am usually always signed up for at least one future race to keep myself focused on my goals. But the most important thing I try to do is listen to my body. If I wake up and feel too tired from a previous run, I'll go ahead and switch my planned run with a future cross-training or rest day and just do the run I had planned on that day.

• wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do not like running, but I also enjoy the feeling that I get when I am finished running. I started using the Zombies Run app. It tells a story while you run interrupting your music at times. It gives a little something else to listen to. You can even put Zombie chases on so that they will chase you while jogging and you need to pick up the pace in order to not lose items that you picked up for town. I am actually enjoying it and I am not really a person into Zombie movies. Its free, but you are limited to new missions every 5 days, but you can fill in that time with Supply runs if you need. If you like the app, you can pay 25.00 a year to unlock all of the missions. It can be used to walk, jog or run. The story continues with the next mission, so I find myself looking forward to running :)

https://zombiesrungame.com
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    find a 5k race to sign up for so you have something to aim for.

adding cross training is great for avoiding burn out and injury. swimming and cycling are both good.

for distances up to 5k i don't think you need to really worry about fueling if you have a balanced diet in general.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    comment on burn out for running. Try trail running. Never gets old never gets boring.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are awfully young to be getting burned out on anything. Dial it way back, honey. Running can be fun.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Improvement comes from being consistent. If you're starting over every time you go out, it will feel a lot more difficult than if you build up a strong base by regular consistent running. Try scheduling your runs as if they were a class - 3 to 4 days a week, 45-60 minutes. Better still, see if there's a group on campus or out of your running store or Y that runs regularly. Having other people to run with is a great distraction. Time flies. If you aren't already, run outside. The TM has its place, but it can be a lot more boring than watching changing scenery, seasons, people, dogs, etc. If that isn't enough to interest you, music, podcasts or books on tape can help distract you.

Keep your pace slow and easy. Don't worry about speed at all. Just run at an easy jog, so you could chat with a friend or sing along to your music. You don't need special fuel, but you will want to pay attention to how different foods affect your running. I find that if I run 1.5 - 2 hours after a meal I do better than running right after I eat. Many people prefer to run on an empty stomach. I don't do well running after eating a lot of sugar or fat, though I have a friend who runs monthly marathons who fuels on donuts. OTOH, a banana or glass of juice before a run seems to give me energy without upsetting my stomach. I don't generally eat afterwards unless it's a long run (8+ miles) - or if it's a regular meal time.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you dislike running because it's hard, then run slower. You'll enjoy it more and you'll find that you probably actually want to run more. From a calorie burn perspective, you'll burn just as much running a 12 minute mile as you will when running a 9 minute mile. It doesn't make a difference if you run hard or run easy.

I generally run the bulk of my miles easy (I only run hard to mix things up every now and then or if I'm training for something specific). I love my easy runs not only for how good I feel during and afterwards but because they give me time to catch up on podcasts or listen to music. When you run easy, you are actually relaxed enough to get wrapped up in a story or to just enjoy being outside.

If you dislike running because you think it's boring, then you can try podcasts or audiobooks to give you something to think about while running. Outside of that, it really just might not be for you.

You don't have to eat anything specific with the miles you're running. Just eat (or don't eat) as you normally would before any other cardio session. I run first thing in the morning so usually run fasted. I don't like doing cardio with much in my stomach outside of water/coffee.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    See if your local running store has a running group. Or maybe there's someone else at the college who runs? If other activity groups or teams through school? You have a lot of resources at your fingertips.
    PS life gets even busier after college do it's great that you want to figure it out now!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was well over 200 lbs.. probably 215 or 220. I agree with going to a running store and buying shoes. Independent running stores support your local running community. They often have free fun runs, sponsor official races. Buying shoes online is not worth the few bucks you might save. Also have to agree to keep your pace slow. Nothing worse then running too fast in the beginning - it makes for a miserable run.

As for food - everyone is different. I couldn't possibly run on an empty stomach. I usually run in the morning after 3 or 4 cups of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal. But that's me. If I'm hungry after the run, I might have a banana with a little peanut butter or a couple of scrambled eggs. I usually have 2 breakfasts most days and that keeps my hunger in check for the rest of the day.

Good luck!
  • Biker_SuzCO
    Biker_SuzCO Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I look forward to running because of podcasts! It's the only time I listen to them so it's a treat. I really like "locked up abroad" right now.