Diet Coke Consumption

Options
13»

Replies

• mhazelip
    mhazelip Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Having over 25 years of blood glucose checks I can confirm diet sodas do not raise blood sugar.

If it were true that Diet Soda's caused weight gained we would need to notify Einstein his theory's have been destroyed. A caloricaly empty food can not create fat. If it were true that Diet Soda's caused a glucose spike I could treat my low blood sugars with Diet Sodas and I am fairly certain that Coke and Pepsi would be selling this to hospitals like mad. If it were true that Diet Soda's create an insulin spike then Type II dieabetics can rejoice by not having to take their perscribed medicene, they could simply drink a diet coke with their donut and they would be fine.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hate diet coke and I only read this because I was interested in what people might say and now I feel compelled to respond....

I seriously disagree with a lot of what people are saying negatively about DC. Personally I think it tastes like crap which is why I don't drink it but it does not make you fatter! There are no calories and therefore scientifically can't make you fat or fatter. Now the sodium can make you retain water but the caffeine is a diuretic... kind of balances out though the levels of caffeine could outweigh the sodium. And it is physically impossible for DC to raise blood sugar since it has no calories, carbs or sugar.

I saw someone quote the Huffington Post and I'm sorry to point this out and I really am not pointing fingers but the Huffington Post is not a medical journal or scientific resource. In college had I used the Huffington Post as a source for any information I would have been the laughing stock of the college of Health and Human Performance. There are so many "research studies" that say one thing or another about anything in the world - unfortunately health related topics are big money. There are people who really want to know the truth and do what they feel are reliable studies but if you evaluate the actual study you can find inherent flaws in them. And then there are people who want to sell some product and create magical studies that prove how great product A is.

For example a study that say that diet coke drinkers are fatter then non diet coke drinker are they taking into account each groups daily diet? Where the differences caused by the DC or there because of some other reason such as dieters trying to cut out calories somewhere when they can't anywhere else? How many times have we seen the "joke" portrayed on tv and movies where the obese individual orders 5 big macs 5 large fries 2 apple pies and then a large diet coke? Its a joke because unfortunately its true to some degree.

We all need to use common sense when reading the results of research studies especially if the study was done to prove something right or wrong and not to find the truth. If a product has chemicals in it there can be side effects but it needs to be proven in more than one study and the results must be able to be duplicated multiple times for it to be considered scientifically accurate

In the end if DC doesn't effect you negatively mentally (creating cravings) and you aren't attached to it via an IV there really should be an issue with it... Is it better than plain ole' H2O - no - but is it horrible either --- no...

Good luck to you!

***Stepping off soap box... Hope i didn't offend anyone on a personal level***
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet DrPepper... about three a week and I don't think it makes a big difference as long as you are not substituting diet soda for water. water is best.. diet soda is not so bad.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Gave it up and don't miss it! Can't drink all that soda and the water too..... Water is way better for the weight loss and healthy lifestyle.

If too hard to give up, just cut back and make it more like a treat.
  • NatalieWiley
    NatalieWiley Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep my diet coke intake to restaurants only or if I need a pick me up at work.
  • veggiepug
    Options
    I usually have a diet soda once per day with lunch. It helps make me feel more full. I've heard a few different theories about how fake sugars can still cause weight gain (the fake sugars "trick" your brain into thinking it is real sugar, so your body processes it the same way as sugar) but I think this is a bunch of bunk. I've successfully lost weight in the past drinking a lot of diet soda. Is it healthy? Not really, but it's nice to have it as a treat.

I do plan on cutting it out eventually. The fake sugars just aren't good for us, for other reasons. I have to take my obstacles one at a time though, and need to focus on getting my eating under control before I give up soda.
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I gave up Dr. Pepper, I didn't really have any cravings. I have lost 17 lbs in less than 2 months. Then for some reason last week, I started to drink DIET Dr. Pepper, and I have not lost anything since then. I am having more and more cravings. I called my husband about 2 hours ago and told him to get rid of all the pop in the house before I get home from work. I hope I start losing again!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The theory on why it makes you gain weight is that it's sweet, which makes you crave sweets, which makes you eat stuff like candy and chocolate, etc. I don't buy into that so much. When I decided I needed to lose weight, I switched from regular to diet soda and obviously I've lost. And if I'm craving something sweet because of my "evil" diet soda, I'll just grab another one :laugh: I still get plenty of water..as long as you don't live off of the soda and you do get water, I think you're fine.
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    From a diabetic standpoint diet coke (or any artificial sweetner for that matter) has zero impact on blood sugar. Ones body does not crave sweets, however we, mentally do. If drinking a diet coke makes you want to stop a Dairy Queen or Krispy Kreme it is probably a good idea for you to not drink diet code. But the sweetner has nothing to do with it.

Water is of course best. No coloring, additivies, or anything else.

I disagree with the first paragraph. I've read that the artificial sweetener causes an insulin spike and this is what creates your craving for something sugary.

Speaking as a diabetic, you're unfortunately wrong. I've tested myself before and after diet drink consumption and it did not cause my insulin to spike, actually, didn't raise it hardly at all.

As far as whether or not it makes a difference in your weight loss people can come up with studies showing both sides. Frankly, I gave it up because it was getting to be ridiculously expensive and I knew all the chemicals were not doing me any good.

The real bottom line is what you want. If you're exercising and eating right and drinking diet and the weights not coming off try giving it up. Ween yourself though, from experience the loss of caffeine was definitely tough, I had a lot of headaches while doing it, but, again, that was just my body's response. I think everyone is different.

For reference, I also think the sugar craving, at least mine, is psychological. When I REALLY would kill someone for a chocolate bar I eat a bowl of Chocolate Chex, which is my new favorite thing, and it absolutely takes care of the craving for me. Will that work for everyone? Probably not, but, again, everyone is different. I just have a hard time believing anything these days since everything is contradictory. Eating after 8 is bad. No, it's not. You must drink 64 ounces of water a day. No, you don't. Basically, I'm getting really tired of all of it. I drink Crystal Light (yeah, I know, chemicals, but still better than soda I hope) all day, milk as well, try to eat right, but we all slip. So, again, it's up to you...
  • goldenfemale
    goldenfemale Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love a pepsi max or coke zero now and again (especially with a shot of vodka). I think a little of anything is not bad, it's when you do something in excess. Nevertheless if you can stop drinking it and won't miss it then go for it.
  • McMamma38
    Options
    I enjoy one once a day or less.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Green Tea (an antioxidant) brewed like good ol southern sweet tea (sweetened with liquid stevia) is my new drink of choice and this one actually helps my weight loss efforts.
  • amandanzgirl
    amandanzgirl Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 3 -4 glasses a day, I have cut that back to 1 glass, usually my 'treat' with dinner at the end of day, AFTER I have had a good amount of water all day. Any more than that and I feel bloated.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I avoid a lot of sodas not because of the artificial sweeteners, but because of the sodium. Too much sodium is just not good for me and it can cause water retention. There are some really good natural sodas that don't have sodium as an alternative. But, I've also discovered how good my food tastes when I just drink water too. :)
  • Hsindell
    Options
    I never stated that the Huffington post was a scientific journal and agree that it is not an ideal resource but it summarized in a easy-to-read format something that has been repeated in various research.

If someone feels like their weight loss success is tied to consuming artificial sweetners, then the benefits of being fit may outweight any negatives associated with artificial sweetners. I also know that in the past 10 years the research has been confirming that our physiologic response to these sweetners is interesting and possibly in direct opposition (and counter-intuitive) to what is the desired effect, weight loss. In addition, the newer research is showing that people with a predisposition to diabetes mellitus may have an adverse longterm response to these substances.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I never stated that the Huffington post was a scientific journal.

And, I never said not to not use it for puppy training. Wait, what?

I love it when these conversations get REAL *eyes widen* passionate. Seriously though, it is so cool that so many people care so much about fitness and heath. I love you MFP (that includes all of you that posted above me and some who will post after this.)
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have about one can of Coke zero a day. BUT I also drink AT LEAST two liters (8 cups) of water a day, usually more. I don't like tea or coffee... and I don't want to drink all my calories away in juice so I don't have a ton of options.
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    Hello, my name is Eirhren, and I'm an addict. I'm in the process of giving up on diet pops ( the aspartame is no good). However, I don't know how it affects weight loss. I know what the research says, but when I'm feeling hungry and don't want to eat, I reach for a diet pop. It does the trick for the time being. For me, anyway.