Rapeseed oil good and bad points?

Options
Hi everyone -

I hope someone can make some information about rapeseed oil clearer to me!

Firstly what are the good and bad points about using it.

Secondly can it go so called ' toxic ' like vegetable oil can when heated to a high temperature? This may sound strange?? but a flurry of news articles claimed they can (but I take what they say with a pinch of salt)

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    By no means a big study, but perhaps you'll find this an interesting read?
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question I've been waiting for a thread about whether or not people think raw olive oil is healthy or not. I've heard bad things.

I personally cook with clarified butter (kerrygold). Not only do I think it's safer but taste much better.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question I've been waiting for a thread about whether or not people think raw olive oil is healthy or not. I've heard bad things.

I personally cook with clarified butter (kerrygold). Not only do I think it's safer but taste much better.

Kerrygold is grass fed butter, not clarified. Clarified butter is ghee. All butter has similar nutrients.

Kerrygold is imported- I'd think the travel time would make more chances for something bad to grow in it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

Kerrygold is grass fed butter, not clarified. Clarified butter is ghee. All butter has similar nutrients.

Kerrygold is imported- I'd think the travel time would make more chances for something bad to grow in it.

You can clarify any butter. There's nothing about the milk coming from grass-fed cows that keeps you from clarifying the butter.
  • emailmehere1122
    edited September 2017
    Options

I know what kerrygold is, I buy it and clarify it myself.

• emailmehere1122
    Options

I personally cook with clarified butter (kerrygold). Not only do I think it's safer but
  • cmtigger
    edited September 2017
    Options

You can clarify any butter. There's nothing about the milk coming from grass-fed cows that keeps you from clarifying the butter.

I know. That's why I pointed out that kerrygold butter wasn't clarified. You could turn the cheapest butter in the store into ghee. I'm not sure how removing milk solids makes it healthier or safer, or how an imported butter with all the travel is safer.

(I can understand preferring the taste of a specific brand, but that's it.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This is what canola (rapeseed) fields look like in Alberta in the summer. The flowers ripen off to bunches of tan colored oil seeds.

823188.JPG

Treating natural food to make it palatable it is not unique to canola. Quinoa (goosefoot) has a bitter soapy layer that must be washed off.

Olives must be treated with water, brine, or lye to remove their natural bitterness.

Butter is processed grass, where the cow has done all the processing for you. The milk is still churned to separate the fat.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    smoke_points_chart_2-002.jpg

• jgnatca
    Options
    Your butter has a lower smoke point than canola. When I am frying at high temperatures, canola is my oil of choice for this very reason.
  • emailmehere1122
    edited September 2017
    Options

I know. That's why I pointed out that kerrygold butter wasn't clarified. You could turn the cheapest butter in the store into ghee. I'm not sure how removing milk solids makes it healthier or safer, or how an imported butter with all the travel is safer.

The whey protein and milk solids burn at a lower temperature
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Ah, I see that ghee has a higher smoking point; 485 degrees F.

https://www.thespruce.com/smoking-points-of-fats-and-oils-1328753

The only oil with a higher smoking point is avocado oil.
  • cmtigger
    edited September 2017
    Options

But it's still high in saturated fat. I use avocado oil for high heat.

I'm not against using it for taste. My confusion is saying it's healthier/safer.

I have a variety of oils in my cabinet. Some for flavor, some for different types of cooking. I tend to use grapeseed where canola/rapeseed would be used only because it doesn't seem to go rancid as fast.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I'm not against using it for taste. My confusion is saying it's healthier/safer.

I have a variety of oils in my cabinet. Some for flavor, some for different types of cooking. I tend to use grapeseed where canola/rapeseed would be used only because it doesn't seem to go rancid as fast.

There has been some stuff in FB article land that veggie oils go rancid when heated. A friend of mine says she only uses butter for cooking now because it's "cleaner". I told her I just use whatever the heck is in the can of Pam, and I think she made a mental note never to eat at my place again.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

There has been some stuff in FB article land that veggie oils go rancid when heated. A friend of mine says she only uses butter for cooking now because it's "cleaner". I told her I just use whatever the heck is in the can of Pam, and I think she made a mental note never to eat at my place again.

Rancid isn't poisonous. But I've seen some of the articles that claim oil produces poisonous compounds. It's amazing we are all alive if that was all true.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Rancid isn't poisonous. But I've seen some of the articles that claim oil produces poisonous compounds. It's amazing we are all alive if that was all true.

I did see in the canola process that I linked to that the seeds must be heated to a specific temperature before pressing to inactivate the"...myrosinase enzyme present in canola. This enzyme can hydrolyze the small amounts of glucosinolates in canola and produce undesirable breakdown products which affect both oil and meal quality."

I know this is a lot of syllables, but a quick read suggests the "undesirable breakdown products" would smell and taste like mustard. Think of the sulfurous vegetables like cabbage and horseradish.