Chopsticks

Options
Anyone else here eat with chopsticks just for fun or to help slow you down?

I only really do it at home or East Asian restaurants. I find it slows me down particularly as more and more food disappears off the plate... The less there is to pick up the harder it becomes so my body has even more time to register the food.

The only problem is I'm getting better and better with them over the years and that increases my speed and efficiency :lol:

Replies

• luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    :lol: I've been chopsticking for about 20 years and some foods get me... Nonsticky rice, the salad I ate for lunch pictured below, anything finely chopped. Once the food gets below a critical mass and can't scoop it up easily into one bundle it becomes hunt and peck.

Sumo wrestlers are probably the most proficient chopstickers on the planet.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating salad with chopsticks and I can't stand it unless everything (especially lettuce) is in small pieces. For some reason my favorite sushi bar serves salad with some entrees and the lettuce is sized so you could feed it to a giant tortoise without getting your fingers nipped.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Only with Asian style food where chopsticks are available. I don't think it slows me down though
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I pre-weigh my food, so slowing down wouldn't really help me. I can see it helping intuitive-style eaters? If you're getting too good with one hand, try using the other hand. Maybe first fork with wrong hand first? I've also heard setting down your utensil after every bite.
  • luckywizard
    Options
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    I've tried eating salad with chopsticks and I can't stand it unless everything (especially lettuce) is in small pieces. For some reason my favorite sushi bar serves salad with some entrees and the lettuce is sized so you could feed it to a giant tortoise without getting your fingers nipped.

:lol:
  • luckywizard
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I pre-weigh my food, so slowing down wouldn't really help me. I can see it helping intuitive-style eaters? If you're getting too good with one hand, try using the other hand. Maybe first fork with wrong hand first? I've also heard setting down your utensil after every bite.

I think it helps people who tend to eat fast and wind up feeling hungry after they ate everything they diligently measured. I'm a teacher so I tend to eat super fast given the 10-15 minutes I have to eat my lunch. Sometimes I eat so fast my body hasn't even registered the fullness factor yet. The chopsticks slow me down enough that the satiety kicks in. That said, I am a volume-eater as well... kind of a bottomless pit unless i fill up on lots of veg.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use them in Asian restaurants. It's never slowed me down, lol.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like to, I don't always it depends on the meal. But I do find they make me more mindful of my food.
  • LRai132
    LRai132 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a whole utensil tray for my chopsticks (I've bought a few packs and a travel pair). I never really used it specifically for smaller bites / slower eating, just because I like them. Sometimes, if it's not a food that works well with chopsticks (like peas and corn) then you can't help but eat smaller bites, lol.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    LRai132 wrote: »
    Sometimes, if it's not a food that works well with chopsticks (like peas and corn) then you can't help but eat smaller bites, lol.

FWIW, you don't use chopsticks to pick up and eat a grain of rice or individual pea or kernel of corn.

That type of food is just shoveled into your mouth from a bowl held in one hand w/the chopsticks held together in parallel in the other.

You see Asians doing that all the time but that's extremely contrary to Euro/American sensibilities and rules of etiquette.

Really cracks me up to watch non-Asians at an Asian restaurant try to eat rice and other small bites off a flat plate with chopsticks while Asians will just use a fork to do that.

LOL!

• Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Sometimes, if it's not a food that works well with chopsticks (like peas and corn) then you can't help but eat smaller bites, lol.

FWIW, you don't use chopsticks to pick up and eat a grain of rice or individual pea or kernel of corn.

That type of food is just shoveled into your mouth from a bowl held in one hand w/the chopsticks held together in parallel in the other.

You see Asians doing that all the time but that's extremely contrary to Euro/American sensibilities and rules of etiquette.

Really cracks me up to watch non-Asians at an Asian restaurant try to eat rice and other small bites off a flat plate with chopsticks while Asians will just use a fork to do that.

LOL!

Two years living in Asia and I've mastered the end of meal rice shoveling with chopsticks. Love the feeling of completion it gives me hehe And drinking soup straight from the bowl instead of asking for a spoon. Still haven't learned to cook with them though!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You should see how fast I can eat a platter of noodles with chopsticks.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

LOL!
    I feel like I stand out when I do that in public. But it's what I was taught so I do it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm great with chopsticks, no slowing down here!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I use them when I eat at Asian restaurants, but I really LOVE my cooking chopsticks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm great with chopsticks......................................hasn't slowed down the way I eat at all. The BEST way to do this is take a bite, then put whatever utensil you're using down and chew whatever it is you're eat at least 20 times. Rinse and repeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I eat with them for fun sometimes and just to stay in practice.