Need help

Options
Hi, I thought I would reach out to try this for support. I am super discouraged and have stayed the same weight now for a week!

I am following a low carb high fat diet and both my brother and mother have lost over 40 pounds on it. I work out an hour per day 5 days a week and keep my carbs below 100 grams per day ( mostly 80). I try to drink at least 64 oz of water per day and include weight training in my workouts. My protein is about 100grams per day and i am trying to up that but it is hard! I don't eat any pasta, rice or other grains except a low carb pasta maybe 1 or 2x per month. I have lost 13 pounds since June 1st but seem to be stuck!! Help please!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Its all in the calories surplus=gain, even=maintain and deficit=loss. It doesn't really matter where they come from.
  • leetkd1977
    leetkd1977 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I wish it was that easy, but sadly it is not. I am around 500 to 700 calories in a "deficit" every day.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Actually it is that easy. The only way you'd not be losing weight in a deficit is if your logging was off. Also depending on how much weight you have left to lose, it may come off slower.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Do you weigh all your food? # of carbs doesn't really matter unless you're doing something like ketosis, which isn't required for weight loss.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You say you've been stuck for just a week? Weight loss isn't linear. I can go for 9 days with the scale saying the same darn thing...then day 10, wam, 1.5lbs gone.

Keep going.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I encourage you to read to read the sticky threads on MFP, especially in the Weight Loss forum. Lots of good info that will answer all your questions. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose weight every single week, so it sounds it would help you to learn more info about how your body works.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A week without a loss isn't anything to worry about. If it concerns you then just be sure your logging is on point. But it is perfectly natural to not lose every week.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A week without a loss, is nothing to freak out about. So many reasons for seeing the scale not moving even on a week when you did everything correctly.

When this happens to me, I make sure a i get good nights sleep and get back on the scale the next day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    leetkd1977 wrote: »
    Hi, I thought I would reach out to try this for support. I am super discouraged and have stayed the same weight now for a week!

I am following a low carb high fat diet and both my brother and mother have lost over 40 pounds on it. I work out an hour per day 5 days a week and keep my carbs below 100 grams per day ( mostly 80). I try to drink at least 64 oz of water per day and include weight training in my workouts. My protein is about 100grams per day and i am trying to up that but it is hard! I don't eat any pasta, rice or other grains except a low carb pasta maybe 1 or 2x per month. I have lost 13 pounds since June 1st but seem to be stuck!! Help please!

It's only been a week. This is a normal fluctuation and probably nothing to even be concerned about.

Have you had a chance to check out the stickied "must reads" at the top of each forum section? There's some really good information there, including these two:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1
  • leetkd1977
    Options
    Awesome post, thank you
  • leetkd1977
    Options
    :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    leetkd1977 wrote: »
    Hi, I wish it was that easy, but sadly it is not. I am around 500 to 700 calories in a "deficit" every day.

It is that easy. Weight loss is always calories. The problem is estimates and day to day weight fluctuations.

There are many estimates - the food you log is an estimate. Measuring cups are better than eye-balling, but a digital food scale is better yet. Your maintenance calories are an estimate. That's the number you took the deficit from. Exercise calorie burns are estimates.

Day to day fluctuations from water weight - waste cycle. Hormones, sore muscles......both can make you hang onto wate weight.