Thinking ahead

Options
I lost weight and I have put it all + 5 lbs back on and I'm trying to be smarter this time. When I lost the weight I had 3 things that got me off track. I have plans for two of them but the third one has me stumped.

I did not like the way I looked. I lost a good deal off my face and I did not look like myself. I enjoyed how my clothes fit but did not like how I looked. My hubby also was not a fan. He was supportive for whatever I wanted, but liked the smaller loss. This fact is hindering me from really getting back on it.

How do you handle losing the weight (60 lbs) and how it made you look? I know I will look different and this must happen but I'm afraid I will never want to look in the mirror or take another picture again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose weight if you don't like the results? I don't know what you weigh, but you could try losing just half of what you did last time, so healthier, but not so much of a change.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    Really good question thechioposist.

Life is about limits. Few, if any people in this world get all they want. Want a smaller body? Here comes your new thinner face. Don't want sore knees, there go your curves. There's lots of ways to be dissatisfied by your WL results.

And haven't noticed a loose skin post on here all week.

But if you let that not good enough idea take over, it's a short step to "why bother?"

An idea that helped me- perfection is the enemy of the good.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    How do you handle losing the weight (60 lbs) and how it made you look? I know I will look different and this must happen but I'm afraid I will never want to look in the mirror or take another picture again.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I lost 50 lbs and returned to the way I used to look when I was in my 30s ... plus a few little wrinkles around my eyes. :)

That said, I did notice that I went through a marshmallow phase at about 30 lbs lost where everything seems squishy and not very attractive. I started weightlifting and exercising even more then, and I passed through that phase.

Maybe a bit of weightlifting and exercise might help, if you're not doing that already.

• seniorbug2003
    seniorbug2003 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I weigh 353. That's hard to type. I lost weight the first time because I could not walk a flight of stairs in my late 20s and that's just not right. This time it's because my knees are hurting and I have to go to physical therapy because of the pain. I am only 32 and I feel I'm to young for that. I know weight is factor. Unfortunately for me not the only factor but still a factor.

I had got down to 285 and stopped because life got in the way and so did the mirror.

Mackha9 you are right I did not weight lift at all last time just mostly cardio so that is a great idea.

88olds I like the idea of going for a smaller loss. However I hear in my head you are still to fat at 285. You are right I don't have to have a perfect body just a better body.

Thank you for your thoughts.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Maybe aim for 40/50 lbs loss, and then at that point eat at maintenance and just work on toning.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    It could also be that you just weren't used to seeing your face smaller. Get back on track to lose some weight and give yourself time to adjust to it again before deciding that you don't like it. The brain takes a while to catch up to the body.