The Honor Code?

Options
I'm logging my food as honestly as possible, but with some things, it's almost impossible to know exactly how many calories I'm consuming. Example: I marinated some raw chicken tender strips and bell peppers. The marinade included oil. I cooked maybe 3 oz of the chicken and two handfuls of veggies. Them I had mashed sweet potatoes made with garlic and cream cheese. Since sweet potatoes vary in size, I went by what MFP and gave myself the highest calorie count because of the cream cheese and the varying sizes of the sweet potatoes. I think y'all get my point. Anyone having a similar issue? What do you do to keep the 'honor code'?

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I also find it helpful to set up my most used foods by gram. For example, if a banana is 1 cal per gram, I peel it weigh it and log the exact amount.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Weigh sweet potato. Weigh cream cheese. Measure oil. weigh chicken. Done. No mystery or guesswork required.

I weighed and measured everything but the potatoes. I'm becoming more mindful and will invest in a digital scale. Thanks
  • shannonwaters2395
    Options
    I get where you are coming from for sure.

My digital kitchen scales live on my table. I have a stack of plastic clear jugs to make weighing easier. And this is great to determine how much jam you actually put on toast, or how much a banana weighs. It was great to see how much milk I put in my coffee (100mls!!)

Once you delve into cooking a meal it's a nightmare- especially if it's not all for you, or you decide to 'health it up' and chuck in a lot of vegies. In that case, I search up what I've made ("chicken and vegetable soup"), and pick a random. I find weighing it helps with portion control, but the reality is I have no idea how many KJs/Cals or in my bowl. I justify that by 1. Remembering those vegies and how healthy they are, 2, Remembering that I want time to actually eat and not spend 2 hrs logging a meal, and 3, ENJOYING the cooking (and eating) process.

I also have some 'clues' of where to look if I gain weight that week :D
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from for sure.

My digital kitchen scales live on my table. I have a stack of plastic clear jugs to make weighing easier. And this is great to determine how much jam you actually put on toast, or how much a banana weighs. It was great to see how much milk I put in my coffee (100mls!!)

Once you delve into cooking a meal it's a nightmare- especially if it's not all for you, or you decide to 'health it up' and chuck in a lot of vegies. In that case, I search up what I've made ("chicken and vegetable soup"), and pick a random. I find weighing it helps with portion control, but the reality is I have no idea how many KJs/Cals or in my bowl. I justify that by 1. Remembering those vegies and how healthy they are, 2, Remembering that I want time to actually eat and not spend 2 hrs logging a meal, and 3, ENJOYING the cooking (and eating) process.

I also have some 'clues' of where to look if I gain weight that week :D

I hear ya and thanks for getting where I'm coming from. When I first started my weight loss process, I logged everything. But it does get tedious. It's not that I want to lie...for what? It's just that some things seem more trouble than it's worth trying to measure. But then when I stop measuring, I find that my portions get larger and unhealthier. So to avoid the scale to creep up and down, I'm going to measure for a good while. Maybe until I lose all of the unwanted fat. Some person above said that's why they keep their meals simple. I agree. It's easier to log. I'm going to get that digital scale too :smile: