My Problem? Pure, unadulterated boredom...

Options
So, my days start out great, 2 egg spinach omelet with cayenne pepper, a yogurt or fruit mid-morning snack, a pre-lunch tomato and spinach salad with apple cidar vinegar, a protein packed lunch, another fruit afternoon snack, and dinner which normally consists of 4 oz protein with a side of fresh steamed veggies.

Problem? I get off work at 4, go to the gym, go home. Once there I may concentrate on making my dinner, but beyond that I find myself with nothing to do. I live in Napa which is not a nurturing place for someone in their 20's, and have no single friends, and when I try to get together with my friends it's like pulling teeth (non-single ladies, your single lady friends miss you!) Out of the home activities in Napa consist of eating and drinking 95% of the time - nature of the industry - so that doesn't help me at all. The movie theater is terrible, I might be able to sign up for Bocce Ball one day a week but it's not like they have an Ultimate Frisbee league, or dance classes, or activities that engage young people. So what I end up doing is what people do that 95% of the time, eating more than I should at night and having a big glass of wine, putting me over my calorie goal. I'm in creative plateau with nothing to keep my hands busy and no one to support my efforts! No boyfriend to look good for, no free friends to join me in my health quest.

Ever since I moved here 2 years ago it's been a desk job and I've gained about 20 lbs. I used to hike, swim, go out with friends, but that's changed since Napa.

Any advice for activities that keep one's hands busy in the evening besides reading and TV? Maybe it's time to take up the piano...

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You said it! Take up a hobby! If you watch TV after the gym don't feel bad about it, but keep your hands busy with knitting! If you knit too much, sell your stuff on etsy or use them as gifts for friends :)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, even with a very hectic social life I still find the odd days that I am at home alone are the worst! The only thing that takes my mind off it is a long indulgent bubble bath, face mask, toenail painting session. I am not a really girly girl, but it does keep me occupied and it is nice to be self indulgent. :)
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Get a workout DVD and do it at home after dinner.
  • kmjudge
    kmjudge Posts: 25
    Options
    I feel your pain, even with a very hectic social life I still find the odd days that I am at home alone are the worst! The only thing that takes my mind off it is a long indulgent bubble bath, face mask, toenail painting session. I am not a really girly girl, but it does keep me occupied and it is nice to be self indulgent. :)

Good call, pamper pamper pamper!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with Napa, but you can have activities no matter where you live. Sounds like you "just" need a hobby. There are so many things to choose from, you'll just have to find one for you.

I like shooting and reloading ammunition. I like making medieval and Civil War era clothing and armour. I like playing video games.

If you're single and want to meet people, I highly recommend finding a group activity. That way you at least right away have something in common with the people you meet there. SCUBA diving. A book club. A quilting circle. Genealogy. Gardening. Scrap booking. The possibilities are endless.

Then there is volunteering.

You might try Meetup. It's an online utility for meeting up with people to do things.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    You need a hobby....

Paint, sow, create, read, read the Bible, (even if you don't believe, there are still great stories, but in my case I DO believe, and I have read it through almost twice, very time consuming)

Crafting is good.
    Scrapbooking
    Painting (as mentioned above)
    re-organize
    re-arrange
    clean
    dance around like a mad woman in your home!
    take a bike ride
    go window shopping
    Pottery

There are so many things you can find at Wal Mart (or any other store similar) to occupy your time!
  • Soozcat
    Soozcat Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    May I suggest geocaching?

It's like treasure hunting for adults. There are caches scattered all over Napa; I checked on the Geocaching website. If you have a smartphone, you can download an app that turns your phone into a GPS device and go out looking for these little hidden treasure boxes. It's fun, and since it gets you out looking for caches, it's also an almost-painless way to get in some exercise. Geocaching.com will get you started.

Even if this doesn't seem like your cup of tea, the best of luck to you. I know how it is to feel stuck in a rut.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    What about volunteering @ an animal shelter - if I had more "extra" time on my hands, I'd love to be a dog walker there. Or you could volunteer to collect donations for your local animal shelter.

Or you could volunteer @ your local domestic violence shelter (or offer to collect donations). Or you could volunteer at a soup kitchen, or volunteer to read @ a nursing home.....

I know some of the ideas are a bit on the lame side, but it's about keeping yourself busy, right? ;)

Another idea...make a list of all the things you WANTED to do but couldn't because you were too busy and start doing them.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Watch weight loss shows? I find if I watch the biggest loser I do not want to to eat junk food. I will also bring out my pilates ball and do ab stuff with it while watching TV. before you know it, your abs will look great.

I am in a relationship, but he works nights so I am home alone a lot! luckily I am in school whick keeps me occupied but I have discovered I have no urge to late night snack, nothing looks good anymore. Not sure how it happened but I wish you luck!
  • kmjudge
    Options

Another idea...make a list of all the things you WANTED to do but couldn't because you were too busy and start doing them.

Great idea, with all the time in the world, there's no reason why I shouldn't right? Except that traveling through Europe is a little bit out of my budget right now ;) But that art project from 5 years ago may need picking up...
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For nights in - have you considered getting a games console. I have a Wii and not only are games that help me burn calories (Wii FIt, Sports and Zumba for example!) but you can get other games too.

For nights out - join a class and learn a new skill, it could be a fitness class, a craft or even another language - great way to meet people.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I hear ya! (I live in Arizona, left my friends in Cali.) I would suggest taking up a hobby. Go for walks I could only imagine it's nice out there in Napa. (California, right!?) Get a pet. They will for definitely take up some of that free time!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Random thoughts, in no particular order. Also, I know NOTHING about Napa, so I apologize in advance if some of these aren't applicable:

Go check out meetup.com....they have groups for EVERYTHING. I joined one when I got a mastiff puppy for - you guessed it! - other mastiff owners.

Do you live in a house or an apartment? You might start gardening, if you have any sort of room...even if it's just herbs in a container on your patio. That will get you outside and doing things, and not eating...

Make a list of things that you've always wanted to do, especially since you're sort of new to your area. Are there museums or art shows or random music venues that you always drive by and think, "That would be a cool thing, but I don't have time right now... "

You could also include on that list things you want to learn to do. Sewing, cake decorating (wait - that one could be dangerous! :smile: ), photography etc...Places like JoAnn Fabrics have classes that are one night a week, for 4-5 weeks for the first two things, or there are online "continuing ed" classes at junior colleges that are usually pretty cheap for things like photography.
  • kmjudge
    Options
    Oh my gosh I hear ya! (I live in Arizona, left my friends in Cali.) I would suggest taking up a hobby. Go for walks I could only imagine it's nice out there in Napa. (California, right!?) Get a pet. They will for definitely take up some of that free time!

I have a 20 lb dog who is the love of my life and I walk him every day for 20-30 minutes, but he's not much for fetch or strenuous outdoor activities...what I wouldn't give for a big goofy lab some days. Sorry Bodie.
  • kmjudge
    Options
    Random thoughts, in no particular order. Also, I know NOTHING about Napa, so I apologize in advance if some of these aren't applicable:

Go check out meetup.com....they have groups for EVERYTHING. I joined one when I got a mastiff puppy for - you guessed it! - other mastiff owners.

Do you live in a house or an apartment? You might start gardening, if you have any sort of room...even if it's just herbs in a container on your patio. That will get you outside and doing things, and not eating...

Make a list of things that you've always wanted to do, especially since you're sort of new to your area. Are there museums or art shows or random music venues that you always drive by and think, "That would be a cool thing, but I don't have time right now... "

You could also include on that list things you want to learn to do. Sewing, cake decorating (wait - that one could be dangerous! :smile: ), photography etc...Places like JoAnn Fabrics have classes that are one night a week, for 4-5 weeks for the first two things, or there are online "continuing ed" classes at junior colleges that are usually pretty cheap for things like photography.

All fabulous ideas:

Art museums - none, but I did make it down to MoMa in SF for the Matisse/Picasso exhibit. San Fran is my haven when I'm about to lose my mind, but hard to do more than 2-3 times a month.

I really really would LOVE to take up sewing, but there's no JoAnne's fabrics to be found, the closest would be in Petaluma, which is an hour (everywhere is an hour).

How terrible am I to complain about Napa?! So jaded...if only it wasn't just about the food and wine, p.s. my livelihood!
  • kmjudge
    Options
    I need to look into this meetup.com thing it sounds like...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Join a dating site.

Order shopping online
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I love doing dance fitness via DVDs and/or streaming thru NetFlix. It's so much fun that it doesn't feel like you're working out! :flowerforyou: :
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Is there a community college near? My local one just sent out a booklet of CE classes, and some of them look pretty interesting! Most of the classes are at least a 20 - 40 minute drive from home, but that is workable. They even have some that can be done online that are not that expensive.... some cooking and crafting classes that have no "labs" and are all online and via web cam.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Can't you hike and swim in Napa?