Low carb during pregnancy

Options
Hi I'm just looking for advice on eating low carb/ cutting carbs while pregnant. I have no idea where to start or how many carbs I should be eating ! Anyone else trying to cut carbs while pregnant ? (My doctor is ok with it because I'm already overweight and am gaining)

What are your favorite low carb meals ?

Thanks !

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest lowering not cutting carbs completely. Perhaps replace breads and starchy carbs with root vegetables and salads.

You could set your macros on MFP to something like 40/40/20 (Protein/Fat/Carb) and then you would know when you go over.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What is your usual carb percentage?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest lowering not cutting carbs completely. Perhaps replace breads and starchy carbs with root vegetables and salads.

You could set your macros on MFP to something like 40/40/20 (Protein/Fat/Carb) and then you would know when you go over.

This is pretty much how I handled my second pregnancy, except for the first trimester. I could only handle three foods during that time (Swiss cheese, coleslaw, and strawberries), so I was pretty low carb for those three months. After that, I added sweet potatoes and other foods as my all day sickness got a little better.

My carbs stayed around 100 grams, I'd guess.
  • sjgirl06
    sjgirl06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I have no idea. I haven't been tracking, I just joined mfp.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I have no idea. I haven't been tracking, I just joined mfp.

I think it's best to establish a base. Log what you currently eat, using a food scale, for a week to see where you're at. Then set your stats in MFP and see what it gives you. I decreased my carbs significantly and still had 50% carbs. I would discourage you from doing anything drastic, which low carb is drastic, while growing a little one! Focus on getting enough protein & veggies then carbs often take care of themselves. What is your daily calorie goal?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Low carb is considered to be less than 100-150 g of carbs a day. If you stick to whole foods like meat, eggs, seafood, full fat and unsweetened dairy, and non starchy veggies it should be easy to stay low carb, especially if you limit root veggies and sugary fruits. Grain products are generally high carb too.

Congratulations.
  • sjgirl06
    sjgirl06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys !
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes so I had to go low carb during pregnancy. I was allowed 45 grams of carbs for breakfast and lunch, and 60g at dinner, plus 15g snacks between meals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes so I had to go low carb during pregnancy. I was allowed 45 grams of carbs for breakfast and lunch, and 60g at dinner, plus 15g snacks between meals.

That's about 180g of carbs a day. Your doctor actually had you on a fairly moderate carb plan. Did it work well for you?