Starting keto this weekend

Options
Need to grocery-up before, thus why this weekend and not yet.

That said, for you veterans out there, any favorite sites? Recipes? Tips for a beginner?

Thanks!

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Why are you starting Keto? Just curious...
  • blasingl
    blasingl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just started Keto this week and lost 6 lbs. What is even better than that is that I’m not hungry between meals. There are Keto groups on FB for ideas, tips, and menus. You go girl!!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Here's a food list to get you started.

https://ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

There are lots of low carb recipe sites. I have used these.

cavemanketo.com/
    https://ibreatheimhungry.com/
    skinnytaste.com/
    https://ditchthecarbs.com/

Lots of times I will decide what I want to cook - then search out a low carb recipe.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip - SALT. Research it in reference to keto and know it is a must! You will avoid a whole host of issues including "keto flu" if you pay attention to this from the start.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip - SALT. Research it in reference to keto and know it is a must! You will avoid a whole host of issues including "keto flu" if you pay attention to this from the start.

That one will be a little tough on me. I'm not one to salt my foods and don't like things too salty. I'll have to learn though, that's for sure.
  • its_go_time
    Options
    Here's a food list to get you started.

https://ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

There are lots of low carb recipe sites. I have used these.

cavemanketo.com/
    https://ibreatheimhungry.com/
    skinnytaste.com/
    https://ditchthecarbs.com/

Lots of times I will decide what I want to cook - then search out a low carb recipe.

Thank you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

That one will be a little tough on me. I'm not one to salt my foods and don't like things too salty. I'll have to learn though, that's for sure.

I understand that. I was low sodium before ketone did not add more salt until the headaches and muscle spasms could no longer be ignored. Lol. I ended up having a 1/2 teaspoon or so of salt with water every morning because I could not seem to get enough any other way.

Low carb foods for me included meats and seafood (including canned for easy snacks), full fat dairy like cheese and sour cream, coconut oil (refined if you do not like the taste of coconut), nuts and seeds, eggs and veggies. Others like olives and avocados, and berries for treats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options

Unfortunately, during keto it has to be a priority, as should potassium and magnesium. Those are electrolytes, so unless you get enough, you will experience headaches and often will experience muscle spasms/cramping.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We seem to buy a lot of cream cheese, mozzarella, zucchini (for noodles) cauliflower (for mashed potatoes, rice, and other various hacks), chicken boobs, other veggies, butter, heavy whipping cream, eggs, sausage, peppers, berries, oh nvm.. the list is too long.

Look up recipes that you are interested in. I LOVE shrimp alfredo over zoodles, and keto pizzas! My sister in law likes keto Lasagna (yuck..I hate lasagna in any form), and beef, broccoli and mushroom tips in keto brown gravy over zoodles..not bad actually. All these are easy recipes. Oh and pork rinds make EXCELLENT fried chicken breading! Almond and coconut flour does not.. ick.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Powerade Zero to replace electrolytes
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat a boat load of schniders mild pepperoni sticks. 110 cal, 10 fat, 5 protein and 520mg sodium. These literally check everything off the keto list!.... minus fiber, potassium and magnesium but they would probably help you out real good if you like them.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Sole water.

Trust me....
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    Powerade Zero to replace electrolytes
    Nowhere near enough to replace it all. You know how much you would have to drink?

• pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Just had our company health screening yesterday, and the employees who were on the Keto diet had cholesterol and triglyceride levels that were off the charts. Keep that in mind. It's not necessarily the healthiest diet to go on.

Backed by MEDICAL science & a whole tone of proof that it's actually very healthy......and it's not the healthiest to you?
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well there are folks that keto isnt ideal for. Those with familial hypercholesterolemia and ones who are very salt sensitive. My guess is those folks he's refereing to are probably not eating ketogenic but eating high fat and high carb and that will trash your numbers quick. A lot of people say they are eating a certain way but really aren't. My individual health markers are excellent and hubby's improved dramatically over 6 months.
  • its_go_time
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Shopped up, although I need some other things yet, likely ordered off Amazon or something to save some money. But, here goes nothing!

As for why? Sugar is a huge weakness of mine. Going cold turkey is kind of the only thing that has ever worked for me. Alcohol, pop, juice, stuff like that. I've never been able to give up the sweets though. Hopefully something this rigid will push me past that barrier.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I drink zero ultra monster energy drinks daily and I eat zero sugar jello with a little coconut whipped cream on it.

If you bake, there are some real good fat bomb desserts out there. I'm a trucker so my options are limited.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just had our company health screening yesterday, and the employees who were on the Keto diet had cholesterol and triglyceride levels that were off the charts. Keep that in mind. It's not necessarily the healthiest diet to go on.

My doctor put me on a low carb diet BECAUSE my triglycerides were high. You sure you don't have that one backward?