Planning to eat Ice Cream (And possibly other empty calorie foods)

Options
So I have a question about Ice Cream. I've seen the other low cal options, but I'm wondering specifically about the "bad" kind, you know, the kind that has a lot of calories and low nutritional value (empty calories).

Is it OK to plan to eat this? Say you "save" up enough sugar during the day with your meals, then eat that up in ice cream?

More generally, is it OK to "save" up some macros and then eat them in something you like more? ... like ice cream. :)

Thank you.

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Ice cream might have a lot of sugar and fat, but it's not empty calories. It's got a lot of calcium and potassium and the other good things in dairy.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So long as it fits in your calorie goals, ice cream or any other food is perfectly acceptable. Your lifestyle change has to be sustainable in the long term - unless you don't plan to ever eat ice cream again for health or other reasons, I highly suggest finding a way to incorporate it into your diet in moderation if it's a food you enjoy.

Otherwise you find yourself in this territory of having a list of "forbidden food" which in the long term just creates more trouble than it's worth - trust me, I now have such a complex about peanut butter because I used to have it on my personal forbidden list. It would have been much easier for me if I would have just found ways to fit peanut butter into my regulat eating habits from the start.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cream has a pretty strong nutrition profile. Lots of Vitamin A.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream when ever I want, I just allow enough calories for it. I usually have 1 serving , 1/2 cup in a cone, I find it's enough
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The only "bad" kind of ice cream I know of is Artic Zero. That stuff doesn't deserve to be called ice cream.

If you have the calories for ice cream eat it. It's only bad for you if you are allergic to it. I wouldn't call it empty calories either. Mine has some fat, some protein, some carbs, a bit of Vitamin A and Calcium. I'd say that's not empty in the slightest.

Also, unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar you'll be just fine ignoring that number.

I'm glad someone else here agrees with me about that travesty called arctic zero! :lol:
  • ccrider1940
    ccrider1940 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's all very helpful. :)

Can't have any tonight, but I will when I have the calories, and worry less about it to boot!

• luckywizard
    Options
    I like to find ice cream made from grass-fed cows for the vitamin K2 and CLAs. Full fat or bust.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The only "bad" kind of ice cream I know of is Artic Zero. That stuff doesn't deserve to be called ice cream.

If you have the calories for ice cream eat it. It's only bad for you if you are allergic to it. I wouldn't call it empty calories either. Mine has some fat, some protein, some carbs, a bit of Vitamin A and Calcium. I'd say that's not empty in the slightest.

Also, unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar you'll be just fine ignoring that number.

I'm glad someone else here agrees with me about that travesty called arctic zero! :lol:

I've stayed away from arctic zero, and halo top is okay and very edible, but enlightened is really good.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I found halo top too sweet a half cup friendlies vanilla is about130 cal and is plenty to let me feel like I have had a treat and still stayed within my calorie count . when I want to dress it up I toss on a few raisins and some sugar free syrup
  • luckywizard
    Options
    :suspicious: :lol:

I am picky about mouthfeel, so for me I am disappointed if I waste my ice cream calorie allotment on lighter kinds. The other week my husband and I hiked several miles and after, stopped at an ice cream stand that served Hershey ice cream. So much disappointment.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Perhaps but Gelato is even more delicious.
    Real answer if it fits your calories and you find it delicious eat it.
  • ccrider1940
    ccrider1940 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :suspicious: :lol:

I am picky about mouthfeel, so for me I am disappointed if I waste my ice cream calorie allotment on lighter kinds. The other week my husband and I hiked several miles and after, stopped at an ice cream stand that served Hershey ice cream. So much disappointment.

My wife and I were just discussing how picky I've become ;) If I'm limiting what I put in, I want it to be good (from my perspective), not just something that fills up the calorie count, or it's out. Especially the treats.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories for it, you can eat anything you want. The only issue is that you may find certain foods don't keep you satisfied for long. But ice cream is actually pretty wholesome, as people have pointed out. Be sure you measure it, since a portion is depressingly tiny.