How long till I have energy from excercise?

Options
Ok so... 2 weeks ago I started taking a grooves class followed by a HIIT style class... And when I am done all I want to do is sleep afterwards... And I mean I have trouble staying awake. Actually fell asleep for 5 hours after last Saturday's session and still went to bed and slept the whole night after waking up long enough to eat dinner..

How long until I am energized instead of utterly drained? Not to mention I gained since starting these classes. I can deal with the constant all over muscle pain... But the hypersomnia... Smh

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    depends. I always had issues with energy and exercise doesnt make any difference in my energy levels.for you it may or may not. no one can sayif you are utterly drained though you may not be getting enough calories to fuel these exercises. hiit should not be done on the same day as another exercise class as if its true hiit it will sap your energy for awhile.also when starting a new exercise you will retain water to help repair muscles. so the gain could be water retention.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    depends. I always had issues with energy and exercise doesnt make any difference in my energy levels.for you it may or may not. no one can sayif you are utterly drained though you may not be getting enough calories to fuel these exercises. hiit should not be done on the same day as another exercise class as if its true hiit it will sap your energy for awhile.also when starting a new exercise you will retain water to help repair muscles. so the gain could be water retention.

The HIIT style class follows the grooves class... After the dancing, weights, floor routines, and stretching done in grooves... The HIIT is a beginners class... We do all kinds of different things. Example one day we did 3 sets of 20 10 20 10... 20 seconds so 20 seconds running in place 10 rest then 20 doing squats and 10 rest. Then after four sets rest for a minute and change exercises... Next set was 20 second biceps curls 10 rest 20 triceps 10 rest and do 4 sets of that. The instructor called it HIIT... But I've seen some on here that wouldn't call it HIIT... So maybe not high intensity but definitely interval... And by the time class is over several of us leave puddles of sweat and clothing dripping while others are just damp

As for my intake... Wed and Fri I do pool exercises leisurely and eat around 1400 Tue - Thurs - Sat I do the two classes and eat 1500 to 1600.
  • Paschen81
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Exercise makes me tired and I've been doing it consistently since 2011. Exercise might never give you energy.

That's what I'm afraid of... I get nothing done on Saturdays as my classes are in the early morning... At least Tuesday and Thursday are evenings so I can go straight to bed after.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Paschen81 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Exercise makes me tired and I've been doing it consistently since 2011. Exercise might never give you energy.

That's what I'm afraid of... I get nothing done on Saturdays as my classes are in the early morning... At least Tuesday and Thursday are evenings so I can go straight to bed after.

I find if I just keep busy then it's not as bad. Plan your day out to run your errands after the class.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of exercise giving you energy. I've heard of it getting the blood flowing and waking you up in the morning but that's not the same as giving you energy.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I get energy from exercise. I also get tired. It takes a long time of consistent training to build up stamina, up to years. Start easy and build up slowly. As your fitness improves, so will your energy. It's awesome!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise gives me mental energy and boosts my overall physical well being but it doesn't give me immediate physical energy.
    1. Are you fueling your workouts before and after? Do you eat back some of your exercise cals?
    2. You're only 2 weeks into this. You might consider pacing yourself during class and/or doing one class instead of 2 in a row.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Higher intensity workouts sap me out of energy and turn me into a zombie, no matter how I feul. I only function normally when I do moderate intensity. If after a while you get used to it and if you're sure you're fueling enough (eating extra calories and carbs), maybe you're just like that.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

The HIIT style class follows the grooves class... After the dancing, weights, floor routines, and stretching done in grooves... The HIIT is a beginners class... We do all kinds of different things. Example one day we did 3 sets of 20 10 20 10... 20 seconds so 20 seconds running in place 10 rest then 20 doing squats and 10 rest. Then after four sets rest for a minute and change exercises... Next set was 20 second biceps curls 10 rest 20 triceps 10 rest and do 4 sets of that. The instructor called it HIIT... But I've seen some on here that wouldn't call it HIIT... So maybe not high intensity but definitely interval... And by the time class is over several of us leave puddles of sweat and clothing dripping while others are just damp

As for my intake... Wed and Fri I do pool exercises leisurely and eat around 1400 Tue - Thurs - Sat I do the two classes and eat 1500 to 1600.

so how long is each class? can you do one class one day and then the other the next or? it may be too much exercise and not enough calories to fuel it even on the higher days. as for the muscle pain is it pain or just muscle soreness?
  • Paschen81
    Options

so how long is each class? can you do one class one day and then the other the next or? it may be too much exercise and not enough calories to fuel it even on the higher days. as for the muscle pain is it pain or just muscle soreness?

Each class is 50 minutes. And only offered during the session I take. 95 % of the grooves class stay for the fit for life class that follows. The first day I only did the 1 class but everyone talked me into staying for the other and I enjoyed it so I kept staying.

As for the muscle pain... It is achy at rest, sore when engaging the muscle and acute pain when pushed on. Biofreeze and sitting in the spa for 15 on the alternate days helps with the achy and sore and lessens the acuteness when pressing on the muscle... By the next class it's just achy to move or push on the muscles but no wincing pain.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    When I think about exercise giving you extra energy, I think about how it affects my life in general. Like you, I can be exhausted from a hard workout and just want to sleep afterward, but I also find I have a lot more energy in my everyday life outside of post-exercise fatigue. I've been gradually increasing my exercise over the last 18 months or so - maybe you would feel better if you back off a little right now and build up to this amount of intensity more gradually?
  • luckywizard
    luckywizard Posts: 71 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I think the extra energy people talk about may be the feeling of how quickly they bounce back from a challenging workout. That will improve with time and really it will depend on your unique genetic profile and how well you are fueling your body. If I take a break for a few months and then start lifting again, I feel flattened when I first start, but I sleep and nap as much as my body demands because I know it will get better. I hope your start feeling peppier faster soon!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You were commenting in another thread about reducing sugar, including natural sugars in fruit. Some people find that these carbs can be an important source of energy, particularly when engaging in a strenuous workout routine. You might need to be open to playing around with that.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    About 50 lbs. ago, I used to get energy from working out/exercise. Whenever I would add a workout to the day I would be able to do much more in the day, and enjoy doing it. It added hours onto my day and I'd have a high after exercising. Now that I am very overweight (17 lbs. down, 83 to go), it does not. However, I am careful not to to overdo it so that I am exhausted. I'm not getting the high yet, but in my case I think I'm going to just have to get rid of at least another 50 lbs. because it is just too much for the body to handle to do more than light exercise at this point.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    When I think about exercise giving you extra energy, I think about how it affects my life in general. Like you, I can be exhausted from a hard workout and just want to sleep afterward, but I also find I have a lot more energy in my everyday life outside of post-exercise fatigue. I've been gradually increasing my exercise over the last 18 months or so - maybe you would feel better if you back off a little right now and build up to this amount of intensity more gradually?

This is almost exactly what I was going to say.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    6 months in. I too keep hoping (thus far in vain) to experience some energy gain from my almost daily exercise sessions. Instead, I have to take a nap or go to bed hours early now compared to previously.

I do experience more energy to exercise i.e. I can swim longer without having to stop. But it appears to take that energy out of my general energy pool and I need about an extra hour of sleep for every hour and 1/2 I exercise :(
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me, workouts give me, not necessarily "energy" but a natural feel good. In the beginning you may feel worn out and tired but give it time and your body should adjust. Good luck! Happy Training!