Best protein bars?

Options
13»

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I go for quest bars, chocolate chip cookie dough from Amazon. My alternative snack is Lenny and Larry cookies, but I don't find them as filling.

What do people think of the Optimum nutrition cake bites?
  • arya8
    arya8 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love FitJoy but only Grandma's lemon squares, Oh Yeah Bar glazed maple donut, that's about it.

But his one is to die for, 100 calories and 15 grams of protein. They are expensive at 2.50 per bar but sooooo good! mfanamala7mt.png
  • dlipson30
    dlipson30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got hooked on protein bars because of the Smart For Life bars at Costco. It was much easier to stick to a diet when I actually enjoyed what I was eating and it filled me up for a decent amount of time. I do find the caramel almond ones hold up better if refrigerated, otherwise they can get mushy; but the other 2 flavors are great at room temp.

I also keep a stock of Premier Protein (also from Costco). They are higher in calorie than I prefer (280-290 Cal per bar) but have 30g protein each so it makes sense. Between the two these ones would likely hold up better if stuck at the bottom of a purse for a while, the Smart For Life have a consistency similar to a Rice Krispy bar, so can get smushed.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My go-to bars are:
    Kirkland
    Quest (preferred over Kirkland but much more expensive)
    Pure protein
    Combat Crunch (same as Quest)

I don't normally carry the last two around with me because they will melt in warm weather.

I can get the Kirkland and PP bars at Costco for under $1 each.
  • emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like Clif bars and Lenny and Larry's cookies, they're cheaper than quest bars
  • ranmalih
    ranmalih Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Bounce protein balls. They're an Aussie brand which is serendipitous because i live in Australia right now. Added bonus, they have flavours besides chocolate and peanut butter.
    I also like Lenny and Larry cookies, Peg squares for a nutty fix and Quest if i really want a chocolate fix.
    Was going to try Julian Bakery but all the reviews seem terrible.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a box of "oh yeah peanut butter pie bars", i hope they taste as good as they look. I tried the birthday cake flavour everyone raves about, but they tasted like i was eating a bowl of sugar with gingerbread flavouring mixed in!

I just threw away the rest of the box of Myprotein's mybar zero as i didnt go to the toilet properly for 2 friggan months while eating them, but never made the connection... My doctor had booked me in for a colonoscopy as it was getting that bad :(
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't have them super regularly, but I really like bhu fit apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg bars. Unfortunately, the calorie count per gram of protein is sort of high, so if you need a great source of protein, they aren't for you (only 12g at around 200c).
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a box of "oh yeah peanut butter pie bars", i hope they taste as good as they look. I tried the birthday cake flavour everyone raves about, but they tasted like i was eating a bowl of sugar with gingerbread flavouring mixed in!

I just threw away the rest of the box of Myprotein's mybar zero as i didnt go to the toilet properly for 2 friggan months while eating them, but never made the connection... My doctor had booked me in for a colonoscopy as it was getting that bad :(

The Oh Yeah peanut butter one was pretty good. The texture was just like the birthday cake flavor but it had a good peanut butter flavor. But, in my opinion, it's pretty hard to screw up a peanut butter flavored anything.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I looked a long time to find bars that would meet my impossible standards.
    (No sugar, No artificial sweeteners, no soy, lots of fiber)

I came up with:
    1. QuestBar Protein Bar Double Chocolate Chunk, sweetened with Erythritol (sugar alcohol) and Stevia
    2. Julian Bakery's Pegan Thin Protein Bar, Chocolate Lava - plant based and sweetened with Monk Fruit

When I avoid sugar and keep up with protein, my hunger and cravings stay manageable and that's my #1 goal.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I like a few flavors of Pure Protein bars, like the chocolate peanut caramel. I also really like Honey Stinger peanut butter protein bars. The flavor is way better than most other protein bars in my opinion, but they don't have as much protein - I think 10 grams. I like to eat one of these with a banana.

My grocery stores seem to have lots of sales on protein bars. Not sure what options are available to you, but maybe grab a couple different brands and flavors to see what you like best and what works for you digestive-wise.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I like a few flavors of Pure Protein bars, like the chocolate peanut caramel. I also really like Honey Stinger peanut butter protein bars. The flavor is way better than most other protein bars in my opinion, but they don't have as much protein - I think 10 grams. I like to eat one of these with a banana.

I eat Pure Protein bars exclusively and have never eaten one w/less than 18-20g of protein in it.

They are the best tasting and offer the most protein at the lowest cost compared w/all other major brands that I've tried.
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for good protein bars. So far the best I've had are Larabars. What I like about them is that for a packaged product they have verrrry few ingredients. Naturally sweetened by dates, nothing I can't pronounce and each contains 3-5 ingredients.
  • ChiChiDoesStuff
    ChiChiDoesStuff Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for good protein bars. So far the best I've had are Larabars. What I like about them is that for a packaged product they have verrrry few ingredients. Naturally sweetened by dates, nothing I can't pronounce and each contains 3-5 ingredients.
    I love those!!! They're really good and works a lot better for me since I'm allergic to dairyu and gluten.
  • msemiliejean
    msemiliejean Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just googled for a list of healthy nutrition bars and boom Lara Bar is number 1 http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/the-healthiest-and-unhealthiest-nutrition-bars/ss-BBmuRuw#image=13
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    nzc0tj7nrecf.jpg
    I love these p butter/chocolate protein bars. Got them at Grocery Outlet for 4 for $1!! they taste much better than quest bars & I save a lot of $$
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just googled for a list of healthy nutrition bars and boom Lara Bar is number 1 http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/the-healthiest-and-unhealthiest-nutrition-bars/ss-BBmuRuw#image=13

Don't Larabars have almost no protein in them though.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Homemade.

Amazon sells Fiber syrup and washable molds to form your own bars. Mix the fiber syrup with crushed Oreo cookies and a cheap vanilla whey/casein blend such as MuscleTech Phase8 to replicate the exact flavor of the Quest Cookies n' Cream bars.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I just learned that the Julian Bakery Pegan Thin bar I recommended might not have accurate nutrition info on the label. See http://low-carb-scams.com/julian-bakery-is-falsely-labeling-new-paleo-protein-bars-2/

It's hard to know what the truth is, but for now, I think I'll pass on the Pegan Thins.... especially since my weight loss stalled for the first time in 9 months after introducing them.