Best protein bars?

My job is such that I am not always able to find the time to eat a proper lunch (even if I packed one and put it in the office fridge, I might not be anywhere near that office fridge when the lunchtime hangry pangs strike). So, I keep a protein bar in my purse for emergencies like this. Depending on the time of year, this can happen at least once a week? So, what are the best protein bars you would recommend? I'm talking taste, calories, price, nutrients - The all around best bang for your buck. (Please note: I am not looking for strategies on how to bring a proper lunch or eat healthy on the road. I've got that down. I'm talking the kind of job where I will be literally on my feet, running from place to place, nowhere near a restaurant or a fridge for a few hours at a time... and if those few hours coincide with lunch, I need me some non-perishable food in my back pocket). Thanks!

Replies

• Avsgirly
    Avsgirly Posts: 31 Member
    I personally enjoy some of the quest bars and most of the Atkins bars.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    This happens to me at least 4 times a week. I have an extensive stash of Quest, CombatCrunch, FitJoy and OhYeah bars in my desk.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    heveliusz wrote: »
    I went through many brands and my personal choice is:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Protein-energy-variety/dp/B01GSL9KAU?th=1
    You can get them at Costco. Taste good and low sugar.

These are my go to. And Quest bars. But the Kirkland "knock off" is so much cheaper.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    I really like Quest's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, but I switch between different brands all the time depending on what's on sale. Optimum Nutrition's Birthday Cake Cake Bites a great treat. The red velvet is a close second, and their new donut flavor wasn't bad, but was just okay. I suggest pairing some fruit with these protein bars. Fruits like apples, bananas, pears, etc. don't need refrigeration and can still fit in your purse.
    If you're looking for more than just protein, and can spare 400 calories, the MetRx 100 bars are huge and filling. For about half the calories of MetRx 100 bars instead, balance bars are also pretty good. However, unlike every other bar I've mentioned, the Cookie Dough Balance Bars have a chocolate coating which is not ideal if you work in the heat.
    Overall, don't knock anything until you try it. If you read reviews for all the suggested bars, you'll see that some people absolutely hate them while others fall in love.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    I like Combat Crunch the best. 210cal 7f/25c/20p with 12g fiber.

I also enjoy Grenade Carb Killa bars which have a similar macro breakdown but they can be expensive so I only get them when they have a good sale.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Grenade Carb Killa are the best by miles. But yes, expensive so I have to watch for special offers too.

New find that are cheaper are Fulfil.
    Not as good as Grenade, but the second best I've found.

After that it's Quest.

MyProtein MyBar Zero are cheap(er) but not everyone likes them as they're kind of like plasticine! I think the cinnamon apple on and the caramel peanut one are ok.
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm big on trying to avoid a lot of the crap that is in those bars. My favorites are Perfect Bars (need to be refrigerated), RX bars and Zing Lemon Cashew bars. The perfect bars have just over 300 calories and around 16 grams of protein. These all have more sugar that I'd like, but I'm not a fan of fake sugar.
  • BananaJoanna
    BananaJoanna Posts: 25 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I do like Quest bars, but find they get squashed in my bag. I've spent too many minutes desperately peeling a sticky wrapper off a flattened bar. I will try the other ones.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Some of the quest bars are good but they make me constipated lol
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    I love the banana hike bars from Aldi, 169 calories with 11g of protein
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    I eat on average 2 Fulfill bars a day. Have them as part of my macros and they're delicious.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Quest is my all-time favorite. It has at least 20 grams of protein with 50% of your required fiber intake. Fitjoy tastes better (like a candy bar), also has 20 grams of protein, but not as much fiber. Quest is <200 calories, Fitjoy is usually >200.
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    https://www.amazon.com/Kirkland-Signature-Protein-energy-variety/dp/B01GSL9KAU?th=1

These are great!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    JJS1979 wrote: »

These are great!

I just want to point out that even with shipping and the non-membership fee, it's cheaper to order these bars directly from Costco's website.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    My walmart has a variety of Quest bars. Cost about $2 each. Go ahead, treat yourself.
    I keep a snack bag of almonds in my purse too.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I do like Quest bars, but find they get squashed in my bag. I've spent too many minutes desperately peeling a sticky wrapper off a flattened bar. I will try the other ones.

Try Combat Crunch then. I know the feeling of having to dig out your protein bar from the bottom of your bag where it just so happened to land under a water bottle and a text book and a computer. The Combat ones have a harder exterior, so they don't squash so easily.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    JJS1979 wrote: »

These are great!

I just want to point out that even with shipping and the non-membership fee, it's cheaper to order these bars directly from Costco's website.
    Absolutely!
  • RichJBenham
    RichJBenham Posts: 30 Member
    Myprotein chocolate peanut flapjack
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    I like Quest bars, but they sometimes upset my stomach.

I love the Balance brand bars, especially the Mint Cookie Crunch. They don't have that powdery fake taste, and are the closest thing I've found to actual chocolate. Mint cookie is 200 cal, 14g protein.

https://www.balance.com/products/chocolate-mint-cookie-crunch/