Hello all! I need some help here. I can’t manage one full day without going over my calories (1,990)

Options
I’m 6’2”, 283lbs, 21 years old, and male. I’m trying to get to 200lbs. I did Keto for a while and got to where I am now from 300lbs. I just couldn’t keep with Keto because I felt I was depriving myself. So I figured I’d just start to count calories, but I eat so much every night! I don’t know why, but I just consume everything in my house! I do well during the day, so if I could get my nighttime eating under control, I really think I could lose this weight. Did anyone else overcome this problem? If so, how did you do it?

Replies

• KingPeasant
    KingPeasant Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    When you go over your calories, do you just decide to say "the heck with it, it's ruined anyway, I'm just going to eat everything and start again tomorrow?" That's what I did. It took a while to change the mindset, but you can do it. Stop focusing on what you can't have. Start focusing on what you want more of. This will help keep you in a more positive mindset. Don't focus on the next 83lbs, focus on this first 2lbs. Small steps forward, and be gentle with yourself for being human and having rough days.

I do most times! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. When I wake up every morning, I am focused and motivated. By the time night comes around, all that motivation is gone and I just eat whatever I want to. It's probably because I've eaten whatever I wanted to for twenty-one years. :#

• KingPeasant
    Options
    Have you thought about trying intermittent fasting?
    I don't start eating until 2pm which means I have all my calories to use later. It suits me as I have always been a night time eater.

I've heard about that but I wasn't sure what it was exactly. I was thinking it was fasting for a day or so (like religious fasting). That's a good idea. I haven't really researched IF, but it sounds like it's right up my alley.
  • KingPeasant
    Options
    What are your maintenance calories? Could you try eating at maintenance for a while, in order to teach your body what an appropriate amount of food feels like, and then cut?

Another option is not to keep high calorie foods in the house - then you can't eat them. Buy enough for the day, eat it, and buy more the next day. It will increase the time you have to spend shopping but also make it less convenient to binge at night. Keep a supply of low calorie, high volume foods like vegetables, so you aren't actually going hungry, but none of the foods that are causing you to lose control.

I'm not sure what my maintenance is. I'll have to look and see. The problem with not keeping high-calorie food in the house is because I'm the only one dieting and my family would kill me if I got rid of the Lay's chips and whatnot. But I'll try the maintenance thing to sort of ease my way into cutting calories.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What are your maintenance calories? Could you try eating at maintenance for a while, in order to teach your body what an appropriate amount of food feels like, and then cut?

Another option is not to keep high calorie foods in the house - then you can't eat them. Buy enough for the day, eat it, and buy more the next day. It will increase the time you have to spend shopping but also make it less convenient to binge at night. Keep a supply of low calorie, high volume foods like vegetables, so you aren't actually going hungry, but none of the foods that are causing you to lose control.

I'm not sure what my maintenance is. I'll have to look and see. The problem with not keeping high-calorie food in the house is because I'm the only one dieting and my family would kill me if I got rid of the Lay's chips and whatnot. But I'll try the maintenance thing to sort of ease my way into cutting calories.
    Can you ask your family to keep the junk in one cabinet, which you never go into? That has been helpful for me with my husband.

Another thing that helps me is finding replacements for different cravings. For example, I used to crave sour candy when what I really wanted was vitamin C containing fruit. I eat yogurt with berries, or Halo Top, instead of ice cream, and salted veggie slices instead of chips. I'm diabetic so this is not an option for me, but popcorn is also a good low cal alternative for that salty crunchy craving. If chocolate is your thing, a small piece of good quality dark chocolate is a good alternative to a candy bar.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Runaroundafield has a good idea with intermittent fasting.

For me personally I find that planning my meals the day before and averaging out my calories weekly helps keep me in line. The trick is to figure out what works best for you and sticking with it.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over your calories, don't make it a big issue, yes it might slow the journey down but don't let it stress you, alternatively you could earn those calories take up walking or jogging, go lift a few weights. Try and enjoy the journey.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    When you go over your calories, do you just decide to say "the heck with it, it's ruined anyway, I'm just going to eat everything and start again tomorrow?" That's what I did. It took a while to change the mindset, but you can do it. Stop focusing on what you can't have. Start focusing on what you want more of. This will help keep you in a more positive mindset. Don't focus on the next 83lbs, focus on this first 2lbs. Small steps forward, and be gentle with yourself for being human and having rough days.

I do most times! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this. When I wake up every morning, I am focused and motivated. By the time night comes around, all that motivation is gone and I just eat whatever I want to. It's probably because I've eaten whatever I wanted to for twenty-one years. :#

You can change the mindset, but it will take some trial and error to figure out what works for you. Try intermittent fasting. Try increasing vegetables and proteins. The important part is letting go instead of beating yourself up when things happen. Keep some notes to see if you can pinpoint a trigger. For me it was stress.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I'm the same way. I find it very hard to stick to my calories and get myself into a vicious cycle of eating over my calorie limit and then having to go to the gym to burn it off.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've found that logging everything (accurately), especially at the time of eating/over eating, has finally helped me to keep control of my over eating, at times like these. Before I would have eaten "extra", known I had gone over my calorie limit, so given up. Followed by eating anything & everything in site. Thinking I'd blown it anyway, so might as well "enjoy" this evening and start again tomorrow. By logging at the time, I've found this visual log of actual calories consumed, helps to to stop and at least stay in control of amount of extra calories consumed. Plus it has helped me to make wiser choices at the times, I've actually needed an extra snack.

Also under eating calories during the day, tends to make me ravenous in the evening, as the evenings were my "difficult " time anyway, this just added to the problem. It is important to find out your maintainance calorie level, so that you can then set a reasonable calorie deficit. Not eating enough, can make you fall off track and is bad for your health, the trick is to find a happy medium.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    You're eating too low. You're a big tall young guy. You're maintenance would likely be 2800-3500 or more depending on activity level.

Your BMR based on stats is 2360 from www.calculator.net. BMR is what your body burns if you are comatose.

eat at your BMR. So eat 2360 at least in a day NET. So if you exercise or do Intentional cardio, eat some or most of it back as well.

What's your activity level and exercise routine?

OP, I agree with this post. You can eat more and lose weight.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You could try changing your evening routine and break your snacking habit. Snacking while watching Netflix is an issue for me- I have switched to reading in the living room, going for a walk or looking through these message boards for inspiration.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You feel deprived on keto? But keto worked? How bout intermittent keto? Oh and eat less during the day and save those calories for night time snacking. Have keto on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's, then eat regular the rest of the week. Or.. have keto for breakfast and snacks and have your carbs during lunch and dinner. Two eggs and three sausage links or two patties or a couple slices of bacon in the AM. 1/4 cup of nuts of your choosing for one snack, jerky or a boiled egg.. or whatever you like that's fat or protein for snack two. Keep carbs low for lunch (two slices of bread for s sandwhich equivalent).. Then don't cheat yourself at dinner. In fact.. craving pancakes? Have pancakes for dinner! Just keep your calorie count low until dinner. Still hungry? 1/8th slice of pie..or two cookies.. or anything "equivalent" calorie wise.. then have a list of acceptable snacks you don't feel guilty indulging in. Popcorn? More jerky? Yogurt?

Oh and.. don't underestimate the power of a potato to keep you full! Low calorie.. (sadly high carb so I can't have it :frowning: ) add sour cream, salt, pepper, grilled onion.. You will be full for awhile. And save pastas for a special day. Sundays? Cause they are the WORST!
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am a 5'4, 240 pound woman and I loose 1-2 pounds on 1900 calories (depending on activity.) You should be eating more, then you won't "fall off" as much at night.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you need some evening activities out of the house.

If you are an introvert, get a junker car and fix it up.

If you are an extrovert, join a team sport like bowling, softball or soccer.
  • KingPeasant
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    How did you get 1,990 as your calorie goal? It seems low. How many calories do you go over your goal by usually?
    Are you sedentary for your daily activity level? Any exercise? If you got your goal from MFP you are supposed to log exercise and eat some of your exercise calories.
    I would think you could be eating over 2,000 calories and still be losing 1 lb a week. Try a smaller more sustainable deficit. Try something more like 2,300 without exercise and more if you exercise and see how you feel.

Try eating lighter during the day and saving more calories for later in the day.
    Plan your eating for the whole day. Plan an evening snack.
    Get enough protein, fats and fiber.

When I set up my MFP account, I put in my stats and that I was sedentary (which I am) and wanted to lose 2lbs a week. It gave me 1,990 as my goal. As for how many calories I go over...it depends. It's never the same! But I'm going to eat lighter during the day and see if that will help me stay within my goal in the evenings.