Can I lose weight while on birth control?!

This question is mostly for the ladies but if you have a penis and are familiar with this aspect then drop a comment below. Thanks

-Vagina

Anyway EVERYONE keeps telling me that you gain weight from birth control. I just started mine and I'm scared I'm gonna gain weight. Is it possible to lose weight if I eat healthy and exercise while on it? I'm so
Confused. What is your experience ????

Replies

• ggh15
    ggh15 Posts: 13 Member
    I did actually gain weight when I started taking the pill. I think this could be due to the increased appetite but my boobs appeared to grow significantly as well so
  • Omg thank you so much, I didn't know you could still lose weight by just sticking to
    Calories. I already have big boobs
  • I already have big boobs, how much did your grow and how soon !? Do you think the extra weight was form your boobs ? Lol
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Yes, you can lose weight! I dropped about 20 lbs a few years ago.
  • dehlirium
    dehlirium Posts: 6 Member
    Birth control can also increase your appetite and cravings. I've been on it for 5 years and it can get hard sometimes, but you can definitely still lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I've been on birth control off and on for 16 years (going off to get pg and have 2 kids) and I've lost 30 pounds since spring w/ 25 more to go. After an initial weight gain of a few pounds, that would become your body's new normal and you can certainly go on to lose weight.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    yep last year whilst on the combined pill i lost 28lbs........only gained weight when i stop counting calories and quit the gym
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I've been on it for endometriosis for years. Yes, I've lost weight.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Some women find birth control to be a wrench in the works, but any effects can be overcome with awareness and diligent food tracking. If you find your appetite is out of control, you may want to switch formulas.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    I have been on a wide range of BC for about 12 years until finally settling on a generic of Yaz for the last 5 or so years. Never encountered any weight difference that was unexplained. It always could be linked back to CICO, even if it involved some minor tweaks to the equation. But I have never noticed a difference in appetite, nor a weight gain when I first started.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    edited September 2017
    I lost 56lbs on BC a couple of years ago.

I gained it back because Pizza lol

But yeah, BC shouldn’t stop you losing, might just increase your appetite as mentioned above.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    I lost all my weight (~35lbs) while on BC.
    If you keep your calories in check, then yes, you will lose weight.
  • distillment
    distillment Posts: 2 Member
    Previous to bc I monitored my weight and eating but no formal calorie counting. My weight had been stable around 135 then I started bc. Weight immediately went up 3-4 ibs (water weight I think). Aak! Was also feeling stronger hunger which I tried hard to fight. Continued gaining about 1-2 ibs a year. Doesn't sound like a lot but was super frustrating as I was trying hard not to. Couldn't get to under 140 and was touching 142. Started mfp 2/2017. Got to 134 now 136. Trying to get back down but I struggle with hunger. Def easier to eat less on days I'm not on the pill (but feel ok). So yes, in my experience the pill increases appetite.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Birth control can increase appetite as others have mentioned and it can also affect water weight a little. This won't stop you from from losing though if you are maintaining a deficit.

I've been on Mirena 12 years, on my 3rd one. I lost 86lb the first time I was losing while having it and have lost 22lb of the 30 I'd gained back still while having it.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Yes, I have a penis. Have you explored other options other than the pill?
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you research it, the most that birth control causes is increased cravings and short-term bloating (both which I got). The myth about massive weight gain because of the pill is just a myth. The most should just be a couple of pounds (edit) according to my OBGYN.
  • Thank you everyone ! I've researched many types of birth control but the pill seemed like a good place to start. It was just really confusing when people were telling me that I was gonna gain weight on birth control. I didn't know how many factors go
    Into it. I appreciate everyone's response !