Women who need to lose 50+ how many calories do you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Remember as you lose weight you will need to lower your calories to continue losing so automatically starting at the absolute minimum (1200) isn't going to be the best plan in the long run. Also it makes absolutely no difference what other people eat. You need to base your calories on YOU - not random people in the universe. Put YOUR information into MFP with a 1lb a week loss goal and see what calories it gives you. Eat that amount plus your exercise calories.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started the year with over 100 to lose MFP gave me 1320 as a target with no exercise. I'm down just about 70 lbs now.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm starting off (again) at 1200 calories which is what MFP allows me with a sedentary setting. Most of the time I'm pretty sedentary.....over 60, retired, not much exercise and I like seeing quick results in the beginning which motivates me. It is a bit hard to stick to 1200 cals, so I use the award system. If I want to eat a little dessert or extra calories I make myself do some exercise or some other activity like cleaning house, grocery shopping, or yard work, (activities above and beyond sedentary) and eat the extra calories I earn for that. Last time I did this I averaged about 1400 or 1500 calories a day with the "earned ones" which is just about right for me. My net stays about 1200 cals, but I basically eat all I want if I'm motivated to work for it. Previously I lost 20 lbs. in two months and another 10 over the next 2 months which worked for me, but then hit a plateau and quit logging, then quit exercising. Over the next 2 years I put it all back on so here I go again.
  • sizesixorbust
    sizesixorbust Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Personally, MFP has me at 1600 cals to lose 1 lb per week, but I've been at that (plus some bad days) for a little over 10 weeks and have lost 14 pounds...my body was used to eating sooo much that I think even my calculated "maintenance" (which I eat at probably one day a week to give myself breathing room) would still let me lose weight. I do "eat back" my exercise calories if I have any, but if I have a sedentary week then I find I'll of course still drop weight at the cals MFP has for me. Sw: 216 cw: 202, basically, don't be discouraged if you can't exercise!! Use the numbers the app gives you!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Like I said, I am not exercising right now..I live a pretty sedentary life, that's why I'm a little confused on how many calories to consume..I don't want to be eating too much since I'm not exercising right now, if that makes sense.

The calories you get from MFP presume no exercise. You are supposed to eat exercise calories back.

That said, make time to be active. While it is not necessary for weight loss, you'll be healthier if you do.
  • Pepsab
    Pepsab Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is at 1400 and i am steadily losing. It was at 1200 for one month but i just found it to hard to maintain that amount. Even now i eat 4 days at 1400 and 3 days at about 1600.
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Everyone is going to give you a different answer. Try what works for you. I like to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories. My body tends to release the fat faster at this lower calorie consumption. I think if I'm at 2000 calories, my body will retain current weight. Any more than that, I'm gaining. Everyone's BMR (basal metabolic rate - the metabolic rate when your body is in a resting phase ) is different. So what one needs to have a deficit that leads to fat loss may be different than the next person. But to give you a number, try 1500. That's a little more than the low of end of 1200 but not so much as 2000. You can survive well on 1500 calories and not feel deprived. Log everything. Give it a few weeks to see how the 1500 affects your body. If you need more, bump it to 1800. If less, go down to 1300. Your body will respond accordingly. If it needs more or less, it'll tell you.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I started off the year needing to lose about 75 lbs. I started out netting (i.e. after exercise) about 2200 calories a day, reducing every couple of weeks or so, and am now around 1800 calories a day. I've lost about 30 pounds so far. To be fair, my metabolism is on the higher end of these things, but I doubt that accounts for all that much difference.

ETA: I think 1200 is bonkers and unnecessary and mostly just an excuse to mask sloppy portion control. I think most people who believe they're eating 1200 calories aren't, and the rest are so miserable I wouldn't bet on them sticking it out. But that's just me. I can be opinionated sometimes.

Just have to say, MFP & on-line calculators estimate I will lose 1 lb a week at 1200. So “bonkers and unnecessary“ is insulting imo. And “an excuse for sloppy portion control” is worse. But you are right about unsustainable, tho, unfortunately. I did 1200 ish (+ an extra protein shake on exercise days) for 6 months and couldn’t take it anymore. I had to bump it up to 1450 this month and probably another before I can face 1200 again. But I don’t lose any weight on 1450 and only lost about 1/3 pound per week on 1200. And no, my portion control isn’t sloppy and yes, I do weigh out everything even the 5 grams of butter or 1 tsp of oil, or 1 oz of nuts, and no I didn’t wreck my metabolism with fad diets, and yes my thyroid is fine according to blood work - and if one does the math, my rate of loss is within 20% margin of error for the expert estimates ...

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, I won’t say anything more on this topic but those types of baseless claims don’t deserve to go unchallenged.
  • lillypatton
    lillypatton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stick to around 1600 per day and have a steady 2-3 pound loss per week. I have hypothyroidism and walk a mile a day with hopes to increase my activity now that my knee pain has lessened. But I agree with others that the mfp calculator is a good place to start and you can adjust your goals through some trial and error. I started off at 1200 and wasn't losing so I found it helpful to raise my intake.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I started off the year needing to lose about 75 lbs. I started out netting (i.e. after exercise) about 2200 calories a day, reducing every couple of weeks or so, and am now around 1800 calories a day. I've lost about 30 pounds so far. To be fair, my metabolism is on the higher end of these things, but I doubt that accounts for all that much difference.

ETA: I think 1200 is bonkers and unnecessary and mostly just an excuse to mask sloppy portion control. I think most people who believe they're eating 1200 calories aren't, and the rest are so miserable I wouldn't bet on them sticking it out. But that's just me. I can be opinionated sometimes.

Just have to say, MFP & on-line calculators estimate I will lose 1 lb a week at 1200. So “bonkers and unnecessary“ is insulting imo. And “an excuse for sloppy portion control” is worse. But you are right about unsustainable, tho, unfortunately. I did 1200 ish (+ an extra protein shake on exercise days) for 6 months and couldn’t take it anymore. I had to bump it up to 1450 this month and probably another before I can face 1200 again. But I don’t lose any weight on 1450 and only lost about 1/3 pound per week on 1200. And no, my portion control isn’t sloppy and yes, I do weigh out everything even the 5 grams of butter or 1 tsp of oil, or 1 oz of nuts, and no I didn’t wreck my metabolism with fad diets, and yes my thyroid is fine according to blood work - and if one does the math, my rate of loss is within 20% margin of error for the expert estimates ...

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, I won’t say anything more on this topic but those types of baseless claims don’t deserve to go unchallenged.

Meh, it's cool. I was being a bit snarky there. I most certainly did not mean to make any statement about you personally, as I don't know you or your life, and there are always exceptions and outliers. My observation could be true for 99.9% of people and still not for you, who knows. There just seems to be a ton of sloppy measuring going on around here, which isn't a moral judgment at all, it's just an observation. When I said "excuse" I meant that a lot of people who think they can only lose weight on "1200 calories" are actually eating more than that and not realizing it. Excuse sounds much more intentional than I meant, so it was a poor choice of words.
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4'' and 212 lbs. Ive lost about 40 lbs within the last year eating about 1300-1450 on a keto/low carb diet. These last couple of months I've been eating about 1300-1400 kcals on a vegetarian diet and am close to having lost another 10lbs. There are days I just would like to eat more (e.i 1700kcals) but I try to exercise on those days too. My goal is 120-130lbs :smile:
  • bigmamabird
    bigmamabird Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1560 but I often eat closer to 1700. I've been on for 2 weeks now and have lost 3 lbs. I am pleased and hope to continue at that pace.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Meh, it's cool. I was being a bit snarky there. I most certainly did not mean to make any statement about you personally, as I don't know you or your life, and there are always exceptions and outliers. My observation could be true for 99.9% of people and still not for you, who knows. There just seems to be a ton of sloppy measuring going on around here, which isn't a moral judgment at all, it's just an observation. When I said "excuse" I meant that a lot of people who think they can only lose weight on "1200 calories" are actually eating more than that and not realizing it. Excuse sounds much more intentional than I meant, so it was a poor choice of words.

Thanks, I’m touchy about this I know. It just totally sucks to have to practically starve myself to lose weight - but so many people here keep telling me that it’s not true- and they don’t know what they are talking about. You totally nailed it tho, I could no longer survive on 1200 and had to stop dieting for a while and move to maintenance. 1200 for extended period of time is not sustainable imo.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1650-1750 depending on whether or not I workout. I use the TDEE-20% and don't eat back exercise calories. I've been at it for 6 weeks and am 14 lbs down. I'm losing at ~2 lbs a week.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds of a 90-100 pound goal. When I first started losing I was dropping 2-3 pounds a week eating 2000 calories a day. After a bit of that and the loss slowing, I lowered my calories to 1900 and stayed there until I was losing less than a pound a week. Then I dropped down to 1700 a week.

Trust me when I say that I am not particularly active (my highest activity days is a brisk walk for 2 hours a day or hiking up a hill for 20 minutes a day). I was really minimally active at first. You do not usually have to automatically drop to 1200 calories in order to succeed at losing when you have 50+ pounds to lose.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into mpg. Set it to 1.5 or 2 lbs a week. Eat that plus half your exercise calories back. Log everything before you consume it.
    I've been following this plan doing what mfp tells me for calories since Feb and have lost 54 lbs. Seriously 1200 or even 1500 is way to low. Consistency for the win.
    P.s.i am down to 1 lb a week now as I have only about 10 or 15 lbs to go
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 30-40 pounds. I'm at 22 lost right now. I eat 1200. But I'm also a stay at home mom, lightly active.
  • georgiapeach4468
    Options
    I've lost 61 lbs since January on 1800 a day. I have no thyroid and diabetes. My only exercise has been cleaning and wAlking to the mailbox or car....wish I could do more but I do stay on the go as much as possible. Good luck