Why am I not loosing weight?

Options
dare2bkraze
dare2bkraze Posts: 2 Member
edited September 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I am a fitbit user. I am overweight. I have a higher energy level than most people. I have about 20,000, 27,000 steps a day. I work at grocery store and do lots of walking and lifting and carrying. I am eating healthier than I ever have. My fitbit says I burn around 4,000 calories. I eat 1,700 to 1,900 calories a day. I jog 4 miles 3 times a week. I also do the Thrive patch. I am not loosing weight. Does anyone know why?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh all solids? Are you measuring all liquids? Which Fitbit do you have?

What is your height, gender and current weight?

~Lyssa
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose for without losing anything?

What is your weight, height and sex?
  • dare2bkraze
    dare2bkraze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge 2. I weight and measure about 90% of my food. I'm am 5.5 242.2#. Is it possible that if I truly burn 4,000 calories and eat less than 2,000 I am not feeding my body enough. I've been working with dietitian and I watch my Marcos. I was wondering if any one has ever had this problem?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that you burn 4000 calories a day.

2500 would be around your TDEE for a retail worker with your stats.

If you are not weighing your food you could be under estimating the amount you are consuming.

Eating more is not the answer if you are not losing.

How long has it been since you lost weight?

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yes, people have had this problem before. In almost every case it is due either underestimating how much they eat, or overestimating how much they burn. I'm thinking that you're not actually burning 4000 calories/day, and you may be underestimating how much you eat.

Have you tried putting your stats into MFP and finding out what your calorie target is? I used a TDEE calculator that would estimate your maintenance calories between 2500 and 2800 per day, based on the activity level you indicated.

Note, if you're relying totally on the Fitbit to estimate your calorie burns, it can be off by quite a bit. That's especially true if you haven't been using it a while or it doesn't have your stats correct.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing everything right and you will start to see results soon. It takes a few weeks to start and many months to complete. It's a long journey that you must take step-by-step. Don't we all wish it could be otherwise!

In a nutshell: I think that Fitbit overestimates the calorie burn for routine activities but does a pretty good job for sustained walks or runs.

Details:

I never believed my FitBit calorie estimates and I eventually un-linked the accounts. I still found the fitbit to be useful to tell me which days were more active than others. I also liked the sleep features. But I think it consistently overestimates daily calorie burn. My advice: don't have Fitbit linked to your MFP profile.

Not to worry! You have an active job, and the formulas for daily calorie needs are very good, including the one MFP uses. Adjust your "How would you describe your normal daily activities?" setting to either "lightly active" or "active," depending on how many days you work (if you work 5 days, I would use "active"). This covers your daily activities including work.

You can add in the calorie estimates for your workouts, using the Fitbit app, on the days you do them. These are pretty accurate.

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What's a thrive patch?
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that you burn 4000 calories a day.

2500 would be around your TDEE for a retail worker with your stats.

If you are not weighing your food you could be under estimating the amount you are consuming.

Eating more is not the answer if you are not losing.

How long has it been since you lost weight?

Although I now weigh considerably less at 148lb, I don't think I ever had a Calorie burn of 4000 without a lot of purposeful extra activity even with my 20000+ daily step count.
    I can get a 4000 Calorie burn for the day, but to put it in perspective that would be on a day where I run a half marathon (gives me 1500 Calories by itself). Or on a day like Tuesday will be, where I do the school run, run to the gym, have a 30 min PT session, then 45 min Zumba then walk home, then in the afternoon I do the school run. In the evening I walk down to the gym, do a 45min Insanity class, run uphill to another gym and do a 50min Boxercise class. I generally get somewhere around 35000-40000 steps on a Tuesday.

I wonder how long you've had your Fitbit for? I found mine took around a month to get to know me and give more accurate Calorie burns. Still if you really are eating 1700-1900 Calories with that many steps you should be losing some weight. Maybe invest in a set of scales and give weighing every single thing that passes your lips a try for a couple of weeks, you may be surprised at just how much you're actually eating.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What's a thrive patch?

A total woo product - a magic patch that will help you lose weight - looks like one of those stop smoking things. From what I have seen you're also required to take pictures of it every day and post it to Facebook to tell your friends how awesome it is and how they should buy it from you.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge 2. I weight and measure about 90% of my food. I'm am 5.5 242.2#. Is it possible that if I truly burn 4,000 calories and eat less than 2,000 I am not feeding my body enough. I've been working with dietitian and I watch my Marcos. I was wondering if any one has ever had this problem?

Usually if you're not losing weight you're eating too many calories. I'm personally not a big fan of fitbit's, they tend to overestimate steps (in my opinion only) and tend to give you way too many calories. I'd suggest putting it in a drawer for a month, use your phone to count steps (most phones will do it), weigh 100% of your food, use accurate entries in the database (IE: don't choose an entry because it's the lowest calories, choose it because it's been verified), only give yourself extra exercise calories with purposeful exercise, not steps. CICO works, and if you're not losing or gaining weight over a long period of time then you are eating at your maintenance level.
  • slayerSamanosuke
    Options
    Weigh and scan all your food for accuracy. You can safely lose 2lbs every week sometimes more. During the first week of steady dieting is when you lose the most weight.