This Is Your Brain on Nature

Options
As summer fades into autumn, here is a reminder of how we all need nature in our lives, to help us deal with stress. So put on a jacket if you need to, have a sip of hot tea before you walk out the door if it's cold out, and go for a walk, run, bike ride, or anything else. Just go outside and be under the sky.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/01/call-to-wild/

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Good article. I did my long run up in the state forest today because I needed some green, shade, and quiet. It was lovely.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I am extremely appreciative of where I landed as an adult during my working years/decades, a fairly rural, small town in the mountains. I live a very short distance away from open forest where one can walk with zero disturbance from noise and other humans. I make a point to start my day with a morning walk in the woods. It's unbelievable how wonky my day is when I can't get that nature walk in. It truly affects me negatively when I can't.

I may not have a lot of cultural opportunities, shopping alternatives (OK by me!), or limitless ways to meet large numbers of people with similar likes/dislikes, but I have found niches with smaller circles of friends. The best part of it all is to have a life that is immersed in nature. I agree with this article; it's something I've known intuitively for years and it's nice to see some science backing it up.

@CarlydogsMom Beautiful post, and @NorthCascades , beautiful article. I'd read it before, but it still rings so true.

I live in a small town near mountains, and since I started walking every day again, then beginning running 2 years ago, my life is immeasurably better.

Not only am I healthier and happier (so much better I can't describe!), I find wonderful joy in taking photos of the beautiful and interesting things I see when I'm out. I share them, and I'm told this brings others pleasure too.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Being outdoors is my stress relief. I'm very lucky to live next door to a nature reserve.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbg-Ry_cSaA

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes! In my environmental science class, we learned about NDD. Nature deficit disorder. And it's my generation affected greatly by this due to technology. If we are disconnected with the earth, then we are ultimately disconnected from ourselves. Great post
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,997 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this, NC.

I'm a PNW girl myself, and this article really rings true for me. So much beauty and so necessary.

Now if we could stop tearing down all my friends the trees I would be most grateful. They've paved Paradise and put up enough parking lots.

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    If you haven't seen this, it's great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf5TgVRGND4
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    And one of my favorite infographics:

dy1sdapg77yo.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    And here's a quick snapshot of my new hoops - the "once and future" wheels. I'm gonna start a thread later to talk about them.

We stopped on the way back, Beth told me to go ride for half an hour while she sat by a river and soaked it in.

37253480066_ac966de505_o_d.jpg
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    :heart: @CarlydogsMom @NorthCascades So beautiful.

On my run this morning I took these photos:

7jD5KN8.jpg

v6AqpD0.jpg

Wow absolutely gorgeous!!!

I'm a big-city dweller, but my run in the park yesterday was amazing; usually I just work out in my basement gym but then I don't see sunlight or other people very often. Even though the park was crowded, getting outside was amazingly restorative, and it's always so inspiring to see people of all ages and backgrounds walking, running, biking, alone and with families. Everyone with a variety of bodies, not looking like they necessarily care about goal weight. Kids playing on boulders with giant logs, trying to build a natural shelter. Teens on skateboards. It was just... beautiful.

I always prefer hiking in nature where it's quiet. But being in a crowded park was still so restorative. Green spaces for the win!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am very fortunate to live a few hundred metres away from the Ottawa River, the recreational paths that go alongside it and an easy bike to Gatineau Park (no so easy once you're in the park, but that's half the fun...) where I can enjoy either my road bike or go off road on the trails.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    I always prefer hiking in nature where it's quiet. But being in a crowded park was still so restorative. Green spaces for the win!

I feel exactly the same way. We have rugged, wild mountains, and I'm happiest deep in them, surrounded by meadows and wildflowers and waterfalls and peaks. But I can't get there after work, although I can ride around Lake Union and be one of the people enjoying fresh air and sunshine in one of the many parks along the way. I'm a lot happier and less grumpy when I spend time outdoors. Also, the burning in my legs is a little bit less noticable with all the pleasant distractions.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I walk through the woods, or on the beach (usually both) almost every day. Can't imagine living somewhere I couldn't do that. I get weird without my nature fix.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I live in southern Ontario and our nature is stunning. The Bruce Trail is amazing for hiking. We are planning a big hike in Algonquin in October. The fresh air is so calming.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    /agree

I make sure to schedule a minimum of one week long vacation with no cell/internet access and let the family unplug.

You find this one on several "10 keys of success" lists.