What food do you cut when progressing your deficit.

Options
I've seen alot of builders or competitors say there are specific things they cut back on when cutting, one being peanut butter. What things do you all cut back on when cutting calories.

Note: I am not competing or do I plan to just looking for the cut outs.

TIA

Replies

• x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I tend to just reduce my portion sizes, rather than cut anything outright. I eat an ungodly amount of rice. On days I'm tight on calories, I eat less. I'll take the same approach when my calories get recalculated.

Other than that... maybe less chocolate lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will usually eliminate or reduce: rice, pasta, plant oil, nuts, bread, fruit, and beer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, peanut butter usually has to go for me :sob:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I reduce rather than exclude:
    • Alcohol
    • Snacks (or substitute lower cal snacks, peanut butter is very high calorie and low satiety for me)
    • Breakfast (I enjoy eating first thing but I can skip it pretty easily without being any more or less hungry by lunchtime)

• jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I normally don't eat anything before I work out. I try to push my first meal as far back as I can. I'm not uncomfortable with 1600 to 1800 calories and I'm still losing about a pound a week. I do know it will have to go down in the future just looking where to make those cuts
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't really cut anything out, but I cut down on certain things on a daily basis and add others in.

When I am cutting I reduce: High fat dairy (including whole milk, whipped cream, Ben & Jerrys ice cream,full fat yogurt etc), high fat salad dressing, nuts, seeds, granola, bananas, dried fruit, bagels, cereals, higher fat meats, too many carbs at lunch, etc

I add in more: lean meats like: chicken breast, fish, seafood, also egg whites, 0% Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, veggies like zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, greens. Also shirataki noodles, protein bars, single serve ice creams etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    I normally don't eat anything before I work out. I try to push my first meal as far back as I can. I'm not uncomfortable with 1600 to 1800 calories and I'm still losing about a pound a week. I do know it will have to go down in the future just looking where to make those cuts

While yes, your calorie needs will go down as you lose weight since you are losing mass, you ideally should slow your rate of loss as you get closer to goal. When you have about 20-25 lbs to lose, dropping your rate of loss to 0.5 lb/week will give you about 250 extra calories.

For what it's worth I maintain at higher calories now than I did before I lost about 35 lbs, because I am much more active than I was when heavier and more sedentary.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    As other's have said, I too just end up reducing the portion sizes and don't really cut anything out. Although I will say it's easier for me to drop carbs down to keep protein and fats a bit higher. I don't have anything against carbs, they just happen to be the macro that's easiest for me to work with.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Ditto on not cutting outright, but avocado, nuts and CHEESE are the ones I keep a close eye on (I'm not a huge carb eater in any case, lucky me!).
  • jasonwest9111
    jasonwest9111 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For me, it's bread and cheese every time!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't cut anything on purpose - i do make better choices on how I spend my calorie "budget" though, so I can feel as satisfied as possible.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense, protein light foods. That usually translates to traditional junk foods, but also certain starches.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Typically drinks with calories, even ones known as "healthy" (juices, milk, etc). I limit booze more (or pick things with less calories than the stuff I usually go for).

I still eat bread, pasta, & rice, but I tend to cut way back on the portions. I also increase my veggie portions.

But I don't cut out things on purpose, I make decisons on how to spend my calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually cut back on bread and pasta, and limit wine to one glass during weekdays.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, cheese and sugar
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Nothing totally, but Ivecut right back on cheese and puddings. I'm also much more careful with oil, sooo many caliries