Question about tracked calories burned with Fitbit Blaze

Options
I was up early this morning and I am a bit heavyset. So I know my body will burn more considering those two factors.

But around 1pm today my Fitbit said I had already burned around 1,700 calories........I didn't do any type of heavy workouts or cardio today. I walked my roommates dog for like 15-ish minutes.

This is concerning me because I need to make sure I'm eating enough to lose weight and not send my body into "starvation mode." And if I'm NOT really burning that amount, I'm afraid I'm over eating and not knowing it.

Help! Please!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You burn calories just by living. The more you weigh, the more "living" calories you burn.

"Starvation mode" isn't a thing.

You need to consume enough calories to get adequate nutrition. In order to lose weight, you need to consume fewer calories than your body uses. Fitbit will give you a general idea of how many calories you are burning but I find that it overestimates for me.

Track your estimated calories in and calories out over time and adjust things based upon your personal data.
  • 19CassieJo95
    19CassieJo95 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was sure of that, it just seems high.

I've actually had cases where I wouldn't lose any weight because I wasn't eating enough. Too big of a deficit. Once I got my deficit down to around 500-600 instead of 1,000+ I immediately started losing the weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I was sure of that, it just seems high.

I've actually had cases where I wouldn't lose any weight because I wasn't eating enough. Too big of a deficit. Once I got my deficit down to around 500-600 instead of 1,000+ I immediately started losing the weight.

unfortunately that is not possible...the bolded part. I say that because our bodies don't work like that.

It might have appeared you weren't losing but in fact you were either eating more than you thought or were going to experience a "whoosh" with a larger amount of weight gone than normal.

Weight loss is not linear and never stops if you are in a deficit...

As for the 1700..it depends on if you set your fitbit up correctly etc.

One day I noticed mine was calculating steps when I was stirring something hard...so they are not totally correct.