Limited equipment?

Options
Hi! I used to be into strength training and 5k running, but due to nursing school, my budget won't allow me to have a membership at a gym anymore. I've gained about 50lbs in the past year due to a binge eating disorder (learning healthy skills and coping mechanisms in therapy, but still struggling). When a roommate moved out, he took the fitness equipment with him. Right now, all I have access to is 5-lb weights, an exercise bike, bodyweight exercises, and running shoes. I know lifting heavy is probably more beneficial, but I'm not capable of buying heavy weights yet. Will working out with 5-pound weights have any effect on toning? I plan on getting some 10 and 15 pound weights later this year. Any good Youtube channels or websites I can utilize with light weights/bodyweight?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time with the 5 lb weights.

BW exercises,

Pushups, Pullups, rows, squats, lunges, and variations are much more beneficial.

Variations. One arm, incline/decline, one leg, etc

For rows, you can use a table or desk that allows you to hang with full extension.
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'll stick with the bodyweight exercises then! To be honest, I was inwardly cringing at the thought of using those 5-lb dumbbells. I miss the home gym we used to have, and my gym membership. Once I move back into a house with a spacious basement, I'll probably invest in more equipment.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Check out You Are Your Own Gym for body weight workouts. Also - anything heavy counts as lifting. You can lift paint cans, furniture, etc. Yoga/pilates can also be an option!
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    also check out thrift stores for kettlebells and/or heavier dumbbells (or even bar bells).
  • stanmann571
    Options
    also check out thrift stores for kettlebells and/or heavier dumbbells (or even bar bells).

Also craigslist and any of the "freecycling" pages.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Unless you are trying to bulk up you probably don't need to purchase your own "heavy" weights.
    What kinds of lifts were you doing with your roommates equipment? Maybe if you give us an idea of what movements you were doing, we can give you some alternate movements to work those muscles.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use my 5lb weights anyway, I need and want to get some 10lbs weights, I haven't been able to get around to doing it, plus I have nowhere to store my equipment. But when I use my 5lbs I just do more reps and sets, at least that's what my athletic weightlifting friend told me to do, she said it's better than using nothing for certain workouts. I've been using them for a month I don't see any difference but I know I'm getting stronger, but then again I am/was extremely weak. I have a 16lb weight but there's only one so use that for certain things.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »
    I use my 5lb weights anyway, I need and want to get some 10lbs weights, I haven't been able to get around to doing it, plus I have nowhere to store my equipment. But when I use my 5lbs I just do more reps and sets, at least that's what my athletic weightlifting friend told me to do, she said it's better than using nothing for certain workouts. I've been using them for a month I don't see any difference but I know I'm getting stronger, but then again I am/was extremely weak. I have a 16lb weight but there's only one so use that for certain things.

You'd be better off using a milk or water jug.

5 lbs is pretty much worse than nothing.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not aiming this at you, but you may feel it applies.

I know a lot of people that "can't afford" a gym or "don't have time". What this usually means is "it isn't a priority". For example, both Planet Fitness and Netflix cost about $10/month. That is just an example, but if you took the time to write out your budget you may find luxury items that in reality are contributing to the problem. Eating out, TV, alcohol, cigarettes, snack food, etc. Drinking tap water instead of soda would save a lot of people way more than $10 a month! Even comfort things that you might do to feel good about yourself like beauty products, manicures etc (I'm struggling here because I'm not a girl lol) that probably do far less to make you feel good than a workout does!

Again, I don't know you, I'm not familiar with your circumstances so I don't meant this to be taken personally.

Best of luck!
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »

You'd be better off using a milk or water jug.

5 lbs is pretty much worse than nothing.

Not an expert but pretty sure it's not worse than using nothing, I've tried using water jugs they are too awkward to lift for a lot of movements. I just use a combo of body weight, resistance bands, and my 5lb dumbbells, which works pretty well for me until I can upgrade.
  • iotterbeinbed
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I'm not aiming this at you, but you may feel it applies.

I know a lot of people that "can't afford" a gym or "don't have time". What this usually means is "it isn't a priority". For example, both Planet Fitness and Netflix cost about $10/month. That is just an example, but if you took the time to write out your budget you may find luxury items that in reality are contributing to the problem. Eating out, TV, alcohol, cigarettes, snack food, etc. Drinking tap water instead of soda would save a lot of people way more than $10 a month! Even comfort things that you might do to feel good about yourself like beauty products, manicures etc (I'm struggling here because I'm not a girl lol) that probably do far less to make you feel good than a workout does!

Again, I don't know you, I'm not familiar with your circumstances so I don't meant this to be taken personally.

Best of luck!

No worries! I need to hear that. I'm a student in an accelerated bachelor's of nursing program, and the minimum they require us to study is at least 2-3 hours per day per class to maintain a C average (I put in about 5-8 hours a day, not including class). Throw in work and sleeping, and I've got about an hour or two free (sometimes not even that). I've cut down on pop (I LOVE Coke Zero) and switched to coffee... gradually transitioning to no creamer. I'm not a smoker, don't eat out more than once a month, buy the cheapest hair dye and shampoo I can, I've never had a manicure... the most I've indulged was buying school supplies for this semester, haha! I'm pretty low-maintenance, but my budget is tight and everything goes towards tuition, bare minimum for food, gas, bills, etc. And the occasional Steam purchase, if there's some awesome video games on sale for less than $10 (I've been cutting back on that though :( ).

I'll look into gyms in the area (I live in a small town, so nearly everything is at least half an hour away), and figure if I can pick up some weekend hours to pad my budget a bit! You're right, I DO need to make my fitness a priority. My mental health suffers if I'm not active and at a healthy weight. It's been a work in progress over the last couple weeks (starting to plan meals, resuming running + exercise bike, increasing water intake).

Sometimes I need people to be tough with me, because I KNOW that my priorities have shifted since starting nursing school. The first couple semesters it was all I could do to keep my head above water, hence I began slacking when it came to nutrition and fitness. Definitely not an excuse, it is what it is. I can own up to my shortcomings and make steps to change :) Thank you for your input!
  • iotterbeinbed
    Options

I didn't even think about that! I used to have 10- and 15-lb dumbbells, but they were left in a different state after a break-up 3 years ago, and I never got them back. :)
  • iotterbeinbed
    Options
    Unless you are trying to bulk up you probably don't need to purchase your own "heavy" weights.
    What kinds of lifts were you doing with your roommates equipment? Maybe if you give us an idea of what movements you were doing, we can give you some alternate movements to work those muscles.

2015-2016 I did bulk up a bit, and I loved how it felt and looked. Especially how it felt, as I work as a CNA and lift/roll people on a regular basis... the strength I had was nice.
    I was doing squats (barbell and goblet), barbell deadlifts, barbell hip thrusts, dumbbell lunges, bicep curls, barbell bench press, and a handful of other moves. :)
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are awesome! I also have 3 & 5 lb weight. Everything else is all body weight exercises. Works great for me!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I bought a book on strength training. Since I'm a raw beginner, working out at home, with nobody to spot me and no experience lifting heavy, this book (Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano) has become a godsend for me.

At this point, the equipment I use in my workouts includes:
    • Nerf soccer ball (used in warm-ups. The book actually suggests a 7" ball and the soccer ball is about 8.5", but it works great for me. Also suggests using a medicine ball for a more intense warmup, but I'm holding off on that right now.)
    • Resistance band (also for warm-ups).
    • Dumbbells ranging from 3lbs to 12lbs. Eventually, I'll reach the maximums in the book and need some advice on how to increase (like, if I use 15lb dumbbells, should I still be doing 3 sets of 12 reps or should I adjust? How about when I move up to 20s?). For now, I'm not there yet.
    • 20lb adjustable ankle weight, currently using 6lbs. The book goes up to 10lbs for the exercise. Another thing to ask about when I'm ready.
    • Stability ball
    • Cardio step
    • Mat

The exercises are a mix of weights and body-weight.

If that's what you're looking to do (i.e., not looking to lift heavy at this point), I do recommend the book I'm using. She's got a range of exercises for each muscle/muscle group, as well as stretches. Each exercise progresses through three difficulty levels and she includes full-body workouts and weights-and-cardio interval workouts at the back.

So far, I've notice that my deltoids are visible, and there's some muscle definition to my arms and legs. I'm not building; I'm still trying to drop another 40 lbs. But as the fat burns, something is surfacing. Also, I think the core work has been helping my posture. At least, someone commented the other day that she thought I was taller than I was...