Calling those with dyspraxia - how do you exercise?

Options
I have a bad relationship with exercise. I bunked off PE all through school. Then when I was 21 I was diagnosed with dyspraxia - that explained everything!

I've started going swimming. Someone has pointed out that I swim weirdly but it's the only form of exercise I can manage because of my lack of coordinatotion.

What exercise do you do?

Ps. Sorry I'm not spamming,I originally posted this on the wrong forum.

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yup, swimming it is. I just majorly bosrked my knee when trying to do (body weight only) squats - and my aqua fit instructor strongly suggested I stop all weight & body weight stuff and only do it when supervised (I have a proprioceptive disorder in addition to dyspraxia) because I have no concept of form or how my muscles are moving/positioned beyond the very general idea.

Was trying to bike, but it is getting no easier and my husband wants me to stop b/c he is afraid I’m gonna kill myself by riding into a car. He probably isn’t wrong to worry, I can barely stay upright on a bike and have to work hard to stay up. I’m exhausted by a 1.5 mile ride and that remains the case 2 to 3 months in.

I can exercise bike at home for days I can’t get to a pool. But, yeah, most traditional options just won’t work for me, or if I do enjoy them, I’m too likely to hurt myself to really do them.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I do exercises which enable me to focus on my body and assist with finding alternative routes to build the pathways that dyspraxia makes different. So yoga, pilates, simple throwing/catching type stuff alongside cardio. I find the yoga and pilates have massively improved my balance so that I can do things like ride a bike to work which used to be a challenge. While I still make stupid decisions occasionaly, based on misjudging turns, gaps, etc. my personal balance and prioperception is a lot better for regular exercse, so I'm able to do more the fitter I am.
  • ryenday
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do exercises which enable me to focus on my body and assist with finding alternative routes to build the pathways that dyspraxia makes different. So yoga, pilates, simple throwing/catching type stuff alongside cardio. I find the yoga and pilates have massively improved my balance so that I can do things like ride a bike to work which used to be a challenge. While I still make stupid decisions occasionaly, based on misjudging turns, gaps, etc. my personal balance and prioperception is a lot better for regular exercse, so I'm able to do more the fitter I am.

I started ed pool based Pilates- that is the instructor who basically read me the riot act when he heard I was trying to do bodyweight stuff like squats without a professional at my side. He’s pretty great, we have a gesture shorthand he does for the things I’m doing incorrectly ( like hunching and raising my shoulders - I think they are relaxed but they never are). I know I’m a trial to him (“you aren’t scooping” oh, sorry, thought I was) because I don’t know when I’m getting it right and if I do happen to get it right I can’t ‘feel’ anything different so don’t know how to do it again.

I have to agree with you, tho, my balance does seem better. ( I’m having an easier time with my functional therapy exercises like standing on one foot.). Maybe I can get better on a bike like you? I’m despairing of ever improving on it because it is such a struggle to balance and not oversteer.

Good luck to you both!
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't have dyspraxia, but I believe there are practitioners who can help you with coordination excersizes which can 'cure' or at least vastly improve the condition.
  • ryenday
    Options
    I don't have dyspraxia, but I believe there are practitioners who can help you with coordination excersizes which can 'cure' or at least vastly improve the condition.

Unfortunately that takes $$, lots and lots of $$. IF you can even find one willing to take on an adult at all.
  • Skipjack66
    Skipjack66 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of those things that gives many people with disabilities a new sense of freedom and the ability to exercise, where they couldn't on land. Ignore anyone who says you swim "weirdly." That's a terrible thing to say. If they truly wanted to help, then they might start up a pleasant chat with you and then offer one little tidbit to improve your technique. But you do not have to justify why you swim the way you swim to anyone. It doesn't matter how you get across the pool - as long as you're in there and moving! So congrats for takin the plunge.

And just for a nice feel good kind of story - watch this, I love this video:

https://youtu.be/YPIGLAJDopY
  • strawberryswirl01
    Options

That's great news :)
    I find yoga/Pilates sometimes difficult because I find it hard to position myself.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Me too in the beginning. It's why I could never really do aerobics or Zumba, it's too fast and too confusing. But with yoga, if you choose a slower class and speak to the teacher in advance, you can really learn to be in your own body. Simple things like standing for a time in Tadasana are challenging, so by learning those "cheats" (like using deep core for support), I found my balance was massively improved.

With the bike, try not steering. Sounds weird, but don't think about steering. Think instead about looking where you want to go, don't actively "tell" your body to do anything except look where you are going. Then allow your body to carefully take its own control. It will take time, but certainly I found it made a huge improvement.