Keto info for beginner?

Options
What is the secret to keto and finding out the macros?? And, is there a time to wait in between each meal? And, what’s the rule or best advice on carbs/sugars...both good and bad.

Replies

• ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this also.
  • aboudreau2468
    aboudreau2468 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m brand new - I haven’t upgraded to the premium version of the app but I do want to set it up as much as possible to follow the keto way of eating.
  • polish328
    polish328 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Pick up this book : the keto diet - the complete guide to a high fat diet by Leanne Vogel. Happy to say I LOST 6 lbs in first week and husband lost 9. Low carb high fat diet. Teaches your body to burn fat for energy. 30% protein. 60% fat. Meat, veggies above ground and dairy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily MFP group has a lot of keto for beginners information in their launch pad stickies. Join and take a look. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Keto is usually under 50 g of carbs a say. Some stay under 20-30 if they want higher ketones for a health reason or are not very carb tolerant due to insulin resistance. More active people can stay in ketosis at 50g or more. Protein is kept moderate and fat is high.

Try a TDEE calculator to figure out your macros:
    https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
    https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

There is no meal timing with a low carb diet, although some fall into IF due to a reduced appetite. I rarely eat before 1pm anymore.

Carbs are just a macro. It provides energy and can be nutritious but it is not an essential macronutrient - you can live healthfully without it.

That being said, some people handle carbs fine and others don't. It depends on your health situation.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice would be to learn what the diet is and why it works. This forum and redit can teach you what to eat and how much but it's best if you understand fully what changes your body is going through, especially if you want to explain your diet to friends.

Look up Dr Volek and Dr Mercola, watch some videos one evening.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If your interested in a FREE course and a link to a keto calculator...

Ketogasm.com
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    The resources in the sidebar here are really good: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is the secret to keto and finding out the macros?? And, is there a time to wait in between each meal? And, what’s the rule or best advice on carbs/sugars...both good and bad.

Keto is less than 50g of carbs (give or take activity level). You should consume at least 3500mg+ of sodium (often up to 5 to 6K); side note, if you experience cramping, increase sodium/potassium/magnesium.

Meal timing is personal...

Rule of carbs, aim for the ones highest in fiber and lowest in carbs (i.e., berries).

And protein should be 1.5 -2.2g/kg of weight (if your goal is preseve muscle) <-- although, this generally isn't discussed as much with keto.
  • thepragmattic
    thepragmattic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I second justinjbrock. Understand how it works and and the intricacies of the diet. It's not just about eating sticks of butter and meat. :D

There are several variations on the diet (i.e. 4:1 and 3:1, Bulletproof, etc). I myself do a modified Atkins (60/30/10), similar to Dom D'Agostino (check him out). Volek and Mercola are good places to start. Even Robb Wolf, Dave Asprey (Bulletproof Diet), and Tim Ferriss (Slow Carb Diet) have interesting thoughts on the matter. Everyone is going to have their own opinion (i.e. dairy vs no dairy), but in the end you will have to experiment to find what works for you.