How do you reward yourself?

Options
Hi people,

Wanted to know how do you reward yourself on small successes?

I am planning to get a nice haircut once I lose 5 more kilos. I am looking for more ideas for other milestones.

TIA.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    By doing the things I had trouble doing when I was heavier ... for example, when I had lost 50 lbs, I was finally able to cycle up to the top of Mt Wellington. :) Of course it also required lots of cycling in preparation for that while I was losing the 50 lbs.
  • DapperDassie
    DapperDassie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would reward myself in pedicures and cute clothes if I had the money haha
    at the moment seeing the scale and being happier with how I look is my reward. I also take a nice relaxing bath if i can
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I reward myself with things I normally wouldn't have before I lost weight. For example, a new two piece bathing suit, a new tank top, new pair of skinny jeans, shirts that fit a little more snug to my body, etc. Things that before I lost weight I would have been too uncomfortable to wear.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Living a healthy lifstyle makes me feel good every day, and weight management is just something that happens, easily, when I live a happy and healthy life - so I don't reward myself for weightloss/maintaining weight. I do praise myself whenever I've resisted a particularly tough temptation, though.
  • nehaad88
    nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Living a healthy lifstyle makes me feel good every day, and weight management is just something that happens, easily, when I live a happy and healthy life - so I don't reward myself for weightloss/maintaining weight. I do praise myself whenever I've resisted a particularly tough temptation, though.

This is good.. I do wish it worked like that for me. I like something to look forward to.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    nehaad88 wrote: »

This is good.. I do wish it worked like that for me.
    It hasn't always been like this for me. I used to struggle a lot with my weight, and trying so hard to "be healthy". The problem was that what I perceived as "healthy", was in fact unnecessarily exhausting and restrictive, so in reality - it was unhealthy. Healthy eating and exercise habits aren't what it's hyped up to be, it's really very mundane - not very exciting, but easy to fit into our lives, and pleasant to stick to.
    I like something to look forward to.
    That's why I plan meals I want to eat every day.
  • Machka9
    Options

It hasn't always been like this for me. I used to struggle a lot with my weight, and trying so hard to "be healthy". The problem was that what I perceived as "healthy", was in fact unnecessarily exhausting and restrictive, so in reality - it was unhealthy. Healthy eating and exercise habits aren't what it's hyped up to be, it's really very mundane - not very exciting, but easy to fit into our lives, and pleasant to stick to.

Yes, that ...

And also activities that I enjoy doing.

After I had lost 15 kg (33 lbs), I took a 3-week trip to Canada. I was going anyway, but it was more enjoyable at a lighter weight. For one thing, the 15+ hour flight was so much more comfortable, and for another thing, I was able to cycle a century (100 miles in one day) there and hike to the top of a mountain with my husband and cousin. :)

• nehaad88
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Yes, that ...

After I had lost 15 kg (33 lbs), I took a 3-week trip to Canada. I was going anyway, but it was more enjoyable at a lighter weight. For one thing, the 15+ hour flight was so much more comfortable, and for another thing, I was able to cycle a century (100 miles in one day) there and hike to the top of a mountain with my husband and cousin. :)

Ok I am deviating from my own post, but.. I would really like some tips on cycling from you. I have been looking at your cycling posts and I have started cycling myself (I am very very bad at it though).

Look, I am having a little fangirl moment..
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Clothes.

More specifically clothes that fit right. I had to have someone teach me how to dress. But it was a game changer.

One time- a new food scale.
    Once a day off from work and a trip to a museum. Spending the day walking was big NSV at the time.

Never food.
  • Machka9
    Options

Yes, that ...

Ok I am deviating from my own post, but.. I would really like some tips on cycling from you. I have been looking at your cycling posts and I have started cycling myself (I am very very bad at it though).

What would you like to know? :)

I've been cycling since I was 6 (grew up in a cycling family), and have been cycling "seriously" for 27 years now, since my early 20s.

Tip 1 would be to make sure your bicycle fits you properly ... makes cycling so much more comfortable!

Tip 2 would be to change your saddle if it is making you uncomfortable.

Cheers!

• cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Clothing. I need new pants with each 10-15lb loss. So I get a few pairs of jeans to tide me through. I love thrifts so I can do it on the cheap.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Probably my biggest "reward" was several years ago, for hitting 199 lb I bought myself all new makeup and an organizer to put it in on my counter. When I was first using MFP, I would buy myself fitness-related items for every 10 lb lost but that kind of lost steam for me because most of my outdoor/exercise activities don't require a lot of gear.
  • rlilly697
    rlilly697 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I reward myself by picking up the next Db along the rack or sliding another plate on the bar! That's a good enough reward for me! Its another step toward my goal!
  • orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Defiantly material items (shopping). I have the money to get the items now, but I set it off until I reach a milestone!
    Just got new dumbbells.
  • explodingmango
    explodingmango Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with rewards. It doesn't really feel that motivating when I'm the one who decides whether I've earned the reward or not - it just feels pointless and arbitrary; oh, I'll go to the observatory when I've gotten below a certain milestone? What's stopping me from doing it before then? Nothing.

In order to get around this, I have three strategies: I either make the process its own reward, I get myself something I couldn't use before I hit the goal (usually clothes that wouldn't have fit me before), or I recruit help.

An example of #1 is, I've recently signed up for a local climbing gym - it's one of the more fun kinds of workouts I've started on. I've also signed up for a couple of obstacle course races, because I've always wanted to do those, ever since I was a little kid watching other kids run kid-sized versions of them on game shows. (This also keeps me motivated to continue my regular, "less exciting" workouts, because how will I be able to clear the obstacles if I let myself get out of shape between races?) For food, the way I do this is I have a folder of healthy recipes to try making that (supposedly) taste better than some of their higher-calorie, more poorly-balanced counterparts - and a lot of successes to show for it.

An example of #2 is the old "get something a size smaller than you currently wear to keep you motivated" trick, only more often than not, I don't even buy the thing until I know it will fit (exceptions being if I found it secondhand). This is especially motivating for me because I'm on the larger end for the kind of styles I like - a lot of things I want cut off just before they reach my current size. The closer I get to goal, the more options I have that I didn't have before.

#3 is one I still have trouble with, but I'm trying out the Achievement app. So far I've earned close to the equivalent of $1, which is pretty damned good when my alternative was nothing. I'm also trying to get friends and family on board to celebrate certain milestones with me - because, if there's nothing to celebrate, we're not gonna have any reason to follow through on this plan, now are we?
  • nehaad88
    Options

Yes, that ...

What would you like to know? :)

I've been cycling since I was 6 (grew up in a cycling family), and have been cycling "seriously" for 27 years now, since my early 20s.

Tip 1 would be to make sure your bicycle fits you properly ... makes cycling so much more comfortable!

Tip 2 would be to change your saddle if it is making you uncomfortable.

Cheers!

ok as for tip 1- i got a cycle frame that fits me (according to my height) and the guy who fit it adjusted the seat height. The saddle is good.

I think my problem is with my energy level. should I start eating a little more on cycling days?
  • nehaad88
    Options
    Probably my biggest "reward" was several years ago, for hitting 199 lb I bought myself all new makeup and an organizer to put it in on my counter. When I was first using MFP, I would buy myself fitness-related items for every 10 lb lost but that kind of lost steam for me because most of my outdoor/exercise activities don't require a lot of gear.

ohh.. this sounds cool.. I am not big on makeup but love some lipsticks and nail polish. I will include this for my rewards
  • nehaad88
    Options
    I have a problem with rewards. It doesn't really feel that motivating when I'm the one who decides whether I've earned the reward or not - it just feels pointless and arbitrary; oh, I'll go to the observatory when I've gotten below a certain milestone? What's stopping me from doing it before then? Nothing.

In order to get around this, I have three strategies: I either make the process its own reward, I get myself something I couldn't use before I hit the goal (usually clothes that wouldn't have fit me before), or I recruit help.

An example of #1 is, I've recently signed up for a local climbing gym - it's one of the more fun kinds of workouts I've started on. I've also signed up for a couple of obstacle course races, because I've always wanted to do those, ever since I was a little kid watching other kids run kid-sized versions of them on game shows. (This also keeps me motivated to continue my regular, "less exciting" workouts, because how will I be able to clear the obstacles if I let myself get out of shape between races?) For food, the way I do this is I have a folder of healthy recipes to try making that (supposedly) taste better than some of their higher-calorie, more poorly-balanced counterparts - and a lot of successes to show for it.

An example of #2 is the old "get something a size smaller than you currently wear to keep you motivated" trick, only more often than not, I don't even buy the thing until I know it will fit (exceptions being if I found it secondhand). This is especially motivating for me because I'm on the larger end for the kind of styles I like - a lot of things I want cut off just before they reach my current size. The closer I get to goal, the more options I have that I didn't have before.

#3 is one I still have trouble with, but I'm trying out the Achievement app. So far I've earned close to the equivalent of $1, which is pretty damned good when my alternative was nothing. I'm also trying to get friends and family on board to celebrate certain milestones with me - because, if there's nothing to celebrate, we're not gonna have any reason to follow through on this plan, now are we?

I have included my husband in the process. He keeps a check on my achievement. I have included a reward involving him as well. I currently weight 3 kgs more than he does. So once I weigh less than he does, I get to brag about it and motivate him (may be by teasing him) to get fit. He is not overweight but he is extremely sedentary. To see him be active and get healthy will be my reward. for that, I have to reach a certain goal. It will be sort of an ongoing process.