Weight Traning or Cardio?

Options
In June I began working out with a trainer 3-4x per week and we've focused on weight training; I do cardio 2x per week without the trainer. I've lost inches but no weight which is frustrating because I have another 100lbs to go.

My question is which is better for loosing this much weight, weight training or cardio?

Replies

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a function of being in a calorie deficit. If you are tracking calories, you're either not doing it accurately or you're eating too many to see weight loss. That being said, nothing wrong with your current workout routine, most people probably are going to say both.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on weight numbers. Well done on losing inches.

Inches are more important than numbers on a scale due to putting on muscle and losing body fat.

Both weight training and cardio have their place and it sounds like your programme is working well. Don't hinder something that is working well just because you need to see numbers going down on a scale. Go by progress pictures and dress sizes/inches instead.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'd say do both, I do bodyweight exercises and cardio few times a week - running/ biking
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Weight loss begins and ends in the kitchen. Fitness happens in the gym. You exercise will make a small contribution to your calorie burn, but you have to get the food side well managed to see weight loss. Congrats on working out and losing inches.
    It took me 2.5 years to lose 150. I did calorie counting, strength training and cardio. I increased exercise as I was able. I maintained a consistent calorie deficit the entire time. I lost weight every single month and have maintained for a year, now 62 yo. I am healthier than I was at 40 or 50, more fit than when I was 20.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »
    Don't focus on weight numbers. Well done on losing inches.

Inches are more important than numbers on a scale due to putting on muscle and losing body fat.

Both weight training and cardio have their place and it sounds like your programme is working well. Don't hinder something that is working well just because you need to see numbers going down on a scale. Go by progress pictures and dress sizes/inches instead.

While it is true that untrained individuals can build muscle while losing fat in a caloric deficit (newbie gains), the muscle gain will not be so significant as to offset any weight loss. Further, newbie gains aren't solely muscle gain. CNS adaptation, increased leverage efficiency, rest periods all add to strength increase - one can increase strength without building muscle. Not to also mention that newbie gains are limited in time. OP, great job losing inches, but as was mentioned in previous posts, caloric deficit is responsible for weight loss. Be sure to accurately track caloric intake and the size of your deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do both...eat less to lose weight. Exercise doesn't default to weight loss. There are many, many people who exercise regularly and put quite a bit of work in and we maintain our weight...because we eat maintenance calories.

If you're not losing weight, you're eating maintenance calories and with the weight training it sounds like you're re-comping if you're losing inches but no weight...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Do both for health, fitness and enjoyment.
    Eat less for weight loss.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I am making changes today.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks above- both are important and you need to be in a deficit to see the weight loss. I would suggest adding more movement on a daily basis- walking, cycling, jogging, if you're able. Don't log them as extra calories, just add the extra cardio as part of your lifestyle and that will increase your daily burn.