Weight Traning or Cardio?

Options
This is a cross-post:

In June I began working out with a trainer 3-4x per week and we've focused on weight training; I do cardio 2x per week without the trainer. I've lost inches but no weight which is frustrating because I have another 100lbs to go.

My question is which is better for loosing this much weight, weight training or cardio?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, you're doing great! Keep doing what you're doing.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    cardio gives you a bigger calorie burn, which will give you a bigger deficit, allowing you to either a) lose more weight, or b) eat more calories.

a combo of both cardio and strength training is ideal. i personally like cardio better, and begrudgingly strength train as well because i know it's good for me. but, i really like food, and cardio gives me a shitton more calories to play with.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit everyday, 500-1,000 cal.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    MJH2 wrote: »

If you were you would be losing.
    If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit even though you might think you are.
  • MJH2
    Options
    Losing weight is about your diet, not your workout.

All of my nutrients are lower than what MFP recommends, but I am pretty well balanced and clean otherwise.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about your diet, not your workout.

All of my nutrients are lower than what MFP recommends, but I am pretty well balanced and clean otherwise.

it doesn't matter what you are eating - it is how much. are you weighing everything you ingest with a scale??
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

If you were you would be losing.
    If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit even though you might think you are.

^This.

Check your logging.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Food scale. Get one. Use it religiously, and log everything, no skipping, cheating, guessing or forgetting.

This video shows why a food scale is such a great tool for weight loss.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

And, just to double-check, read through this chart and adjust the things you aren't currently doing.

estbyxudxfl5.jpg
  • MJH2
    Options
    I've already lost 150lbs logging, weighing, measuring an cardio; I added weight training to help with tightening the skin which it's done.

I'll keep trusting the process :)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I've already lost 150lbs logging, weighing, measuring an cardio; I added weight training to help with tightening the skin which it's done.

Sounds good. Your first post made it sound like you just got started in June. Keep on rockin' it!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    For your goal, weight training is where you want to be. Always lift! ;)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Both.
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight
    Cardio for heart health (and extra Calories to eat)
    Strength for bone health, to keep muscle mass.
    Both Cardio and Strength for mental health (in my case at least).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

But no weight loss since June? I'd definitely take a close look at your logging accuracy. You also might consider a "diet break" for a week or two and then restarting.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

But no weight loss since June? I'd definitely take a close look at your logging accuracy. You also might consider a "diet break" for a week or two and then restarting.

this. if you were truly eating at a deficit since June you would be losing - that is too long a time to still be water retention from new exercise...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    A mix of both would be my preference but nothing to do with the weight loss - cardio for heart health and strength training to maintain muscle.