Trouble with abs

Options
So, I have been trying to work my abs out as much as possible, but I am never sore. I also get pain in my back instead of my abs during most workouts.
I am trying to use my ab muscles and not my back muscles.
No matter what I do, I’m never sore. I’ve taken yoga classes, body sculpting classes, etc. I’ve also used weighted ball and done exercises with that, as well as use ab machines.

Any advice? I feel like if I’m not sore, I’m not doing it right.

Thanks

Replies

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would really advise doing some planking. There's not a lot of movement and it works your core really well. Make sure to keep your body in a straight line and keep your butt down and try not to sag either. You can add splits, side to side or mountain climbers to it as well. Try to go until you fail and have to drop. If you can hold a plank for 2-3 minutes without dropping, you should be sore the next day. Start on your elbows and then try high planking on your hands if you feel your going to drop. Rest about a minute and do it again. do about 5-6 sets and you should be sore the next day. I box twice a week and planking is a big part of our workouts.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Ajirvin wrote: »
    I feel like if I’m not sore, I’m not doing it right.

No, that's a myth.

Why are you working your abs so much? What is your goal?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, be happy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    soreness has nothing to do with whether or not you had a good workout. I'm never sore from direct ab work unless I haven't done it in awhile. If you do a lot of direct ab work then those muscles are conditioned for the work...they're not going to be sore...it doesn't mean they're not working.

ETA: if you're doing a bunch of sit-ups and crunches, I'd advise that there are better things you can do for your abs...sit-ups and crunches tend to hit the hip flexors more than anything and most people strain their necks and backs. They're really not great ab workouts...
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I will give that a shot. Thank you!
  • Ajirvin
    Ajirvin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am trying to strengthen my core. I always try to make sure my core is engaged with everything I do, and I haven’t been working out long. That’s why I was confused when I wasn’t sore. I feel like I am not doing these exercises correctly. My back will be sore after, and I don’t feel like I’ve worked my abs at all. Even if it’s a myth that you aren’t getting results if you aren’t sore, I still feel when I’ve worked a muscle.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Supermans, squats and deadlifts is all you need for a strong core. I've never trained my abs directly and my core is very strong and I get super ripped with a correct diet.

Also, the more you train a certain muscle, the less you will be sore. You're conditioning your core for more frequency, hence not being sore.

You do NOT need to be sore in order to progress in the gym.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    I would really advise doing some planking. There's not a lot of movement and it works your core really well. Make sure to keep your body in a straight line and keep your butt down and try not to sag either. You can add splits, side to side or mountain climbers to it as well. Try to go until you fail and have to drop. If you can hold a plank for 2-3 minutes without dropping, you should be sore the next day. Start on your elbows and then try high planking on your hands if you feel your going to drop. Rest about a minute and do it again. do about 5-6 sets and you should be sore the next day. I box twice a week and planking is a big part of our workouts.

I recently switched over to planking, because crunches were straining my next every few months. I would have to take a week or two off. Maybe it will help with your pain too.
  • dustinjbrock
    dustinjbrock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Whatever exercise you do, make sure st the height of it that you engage your core and hold, so at the top of a sit up, hold for a second and flex those abs as hard as you can.... squeeze!

You'll find you can do way less and achieve more. I'm not exactly a 6 pack expert but that's what I found at least, I can feel the burn in my and when I do it this way.