essential oils????

Options
Has anyone tried essential oils for weight loss? I have read quite a few success stories, but I am skeptical. What do you think of this?

Replies

• mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The only oils that have helped me have been for energy or joint pain, not necessarily for weight loss. I find that sniffing certain ones during the day or before exercise helps elevate my mood, perk me up, or open my lungs, and there's one in particular I take internally which helps me with pain levels. I suppose they help me throughout the day, and that enables me to be more active! Other than that, do your research and make sure that the ones you take internally are specifically for consumption if you decide to go that route.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love tea tree on my cloths and mop
    I love lime oil in my bath
    I love eucalyptus oil on my hanky when I have a cold

They do nothing for weight loss though.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    They smell nice but have no other effect.

I've found that eucalyptus oil can help with congestion. For weight loss? Well... if I smell something good in the oven and quickly use a floral or musky essential oil to mask it, I'm less tempted to eat. But I suspect a spray can of Lysol would work just as well on that score...
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like some on my yoga mat. Not sure it it does anything actual for my mental state or just keeps me from smelling the sweat in the gym. I love some in my bath it's very relaxing. Pretty sure I could still overeat and gain though. Probably while in the bath with essential oils if the fridge was close enough ;)
  • kelseyllhunt
    kelseyllhunt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them for weight loss, but I do use some that are specially formulated for oral consumption to add flavor to my water (peppermint, lemon, citrus). Really helps me choose water over soda or juice.
  • SquishyFairy
    SquishyFairy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I think essential oils are useful for things like headaches, congestion, stress, etc. but not for weight loss. They can probably help in that they're soothing and if you're a stress eater it might be useful to keep a diffuser going? But I don't think they actually cause weight loss. :frowning:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think essential oils are useful for things like headaches, congestion, stress, etc. but not for weight loss. They can probably help in that they're soothing and if you're a stress eater it might be useful to keep a diffuser going? But I don't think they actually cause weight loss. :frowning:

This.

Aromatherapy can be a wonderful stress reliever. I love lavender in my bath, though I grow lavender rather than buying the oil, but the result is the same. Eucalyptus I find soothing also. And managing stress can be important for weight loss if you are an emotional eater.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This was on my FB today. Forgive the copy/paste; I'm technologically challenged.

This speaks to the low levels woo slingers will go to, aside from deceptive marketing, to make a buck. We laugh at woo, but there are definitely real world health and environmental implications of these nefarious companies, not too mention the human rights violations.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/essential-oils-company-sentenced-lacey-act-and-endangered-species-act-violations-pay-760000

//The importation of illegally harvested wood and timber products harms law-abiding American companies and workers and threatens forest resources around the world,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey H. Wood of the Environment and Natural Resources Division. “Our Division was proud to work alongside the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the District of Utah, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Department of Homeland Security to bring this case to a positive conclusion.”

“While the natural resource violations by certain employees of Young Living were intentional and substantial, the Company’s decision to conduct an internal investigation, voluntarily disclose the initial violations to government enforcement authorities, and cooperate throughout the ensuing investigation is to be commended,” said U.S. Attorney John W. Huber for the District of Utah. “This sentence reflects both the seriousness of the offenses and the acceptance of responsibility and cooperation by the Company.”//
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Essential oils is nonsense.