Wine

Options
I love white wine. Is there a way to reconcile this with a reasonable diet?

Replies

• sarakenna12
    sarakenna12 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Drink 1 glass a day rather than 1 bottle. :) White wine is high in sugar so you may need to keep an eye on that. I drink red wine probably 3-4 times a week and manage to stay within my calorie goal most of the time.
  • aintgonnahappen
    Options
    I'm a wine maker and diabetic---- I allow myself a 5oz glass every other day. The open bottle stays fresh that way and my carbs remain in check.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't shoot for an excessive calorie deficit.
    Don't drink too much wine.

As a wine lover my odd tip would be to spend twice as much per bottle but drink half as much - keeps the enjoyment but halves the calories.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a glass of wine regularly. I have a small glass which holds 100ml. I sometimes drink two glasses, which feels naughty, but is actually less than I would have had in 1 glass before.
  • gianna42
    gianna42 Posts: 5,991 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed a glass of wine very regularly while I was losing - and I was given 1200 calories (I'm short:). It did take some planning and eating back some exercise calories. But yes - it can be reconciled with a "reasonable" diet.
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think dry white wine is better than sweet. Also, the lower alcohol percentage the less calories.

I allow myself wine and work it into my calorie budget. It's high enough in calories that you can't drink unlimited - however, when I am exercising and cutting calories it takes much less to make me tipsy anyway, and I feel horrible the next day if I've had too much and too little food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love white wine. Is there a way to reconcile this with a reasonable diet?

Yes, of course. Thin people drink wine too.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Red wine drinker here and have a half bottle an evening. The only way to make it fit is to get up at 4:30 AM and run 5 miles.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I drink both. Can always fit it in to almost every day - it just don't drink as much as before. Anyway, after eating a deficit for a couple months, your limit goes away down anyway...I feel pretty buzzed off 1 these days!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Drink 1 glass a day rather than 1 bottle. :) White wine is high in sugar so you may need to keep an eye on that. I drink red wine probably 3-4 times a week and manage to stay within my calorie goal most of the time.

Dry white wine is not higher in sugar. White or red, if it's dry it is low in sugar and if it's not, it's not.

OP, lot's of great advise here. It's always, with any food, about context and dose. Moderate doses are fine with wine. Too much can slow down fat loss and contribute to visceral fat.