Tracking veg

Options
Hi All, do you log your salad and veggies? I'm talking like steamed veg with dinner or plain salad. Thanks Jane

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Weigh it and log it would be the most accurate way...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup. They have calories, so I log them. I do tend to eyeball them rather than weigh them as carefully as I do other things, but in addition to wanting to know how many calories a day I actually eat, it's also handy for when I go back over my diary. I'm currently getting back on track, and looking over my diary from when I was most successful and it wouldn't be nearly as useful if I didn't have my veggies logged.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yup. They have calories, so I log them. I do tend to eyeball them rather than weigh them as carefully as I do other things, but in addition to wanting to know how many calories a day I actually eat, it's also handy for when I go back over my diary. I'm currently getting back on track, and looking over my diary from when I was most successful and it wouldn't be nearly as useful if I didn't have my veggies logged.

This, except when I'm cooking I weigh them since I enjoy guessing the weight and seeing how close I am.

That is, when I'm logging at all I do.

In addition to the reasons mentioned, I find logging vegetables is both encouragement to eat more AND motivates me more to log, as I enjoy adding them.

I do very often estimate greens (and even use the dreaded cup measurement for them).
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Everyone is different but I don't keep track. A cup of leaf lettuce, a cup of spinach and 3 stalks of celery is like 25 calories. But I definetly keep track of the dressing. Also because I usually don't ever eat back my exercise calories. If you're keeping track of every single calorie, then you should track it. I've been on mfp for three years and I've never tracked salad unless it has all the extras like bacon bits, croutons etc.. and my weight has always been the same. Having said all that, If I'm eating salad 4 or 5 times a day, then I probably would track it but not a little bit with supper or lunch.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I log them because I like to log everything. I even usually log spices. I also keep an eye on iron, calcium, etc., and veggies can make a big difference there. Some leafy veggies even have protein. :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I track fiber, and they do have calories so yes I log them. I don't often weigh low cal veggies, just eyeball.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course - they have calories. I don't see the point in logging at all if I'm only going to log select things I eat.
  • janeyh_72
    janeyh_72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    75% of what I eat (when I'm being good) is probably veggies in some form or another. They still have calories and some have a lot more than you'd think! I also like to log them because I have a personal, daily goal I try to meet, and being able to look back helps me see if I'm meeting it, or if I need to fix something. The other day I would have said I ate pretty ok up until dinner, but when I looked at my diary I realized I was sorely short on veggies and leafy greens (and protein) for the day. My calories were good, but WHAT I had eaten to that point didn't have enough variety and color. Fixed that with dinner.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Log them but you don't have to be super accurate. Be a bit more rigorous with starchy or sweet veg.