Exercising after overeating.

Options
Do any of you exercise after overeating? I overate by a few hundred calories and don't know if I should workout, I'm afraid it would make me feel sick. I'm thinking of eating a little under my calorie goal for the next few days to even it out. Opinions?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think you'll survive but only you know how you feel.
  • Rosesandhealth
    Rosesandhealth Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I eat too much,
    which happens a lot more then I would like. I don't cut back anymore the next day or week, or exercise right away. I workout after a few hours just to be sure it doesn't make me sick but mostly I view the next day as a fresh start and I continue to eat healthy and workout. We can't be perfectly with in our calorie goals all the time and it's hard to not feel bad about it. Honestly when I eat too much and then cut back for days after I end up doing worse because it feels frustrating and limiting. I find it best to move on and do an extra good workout in the morning when I'm refreshed.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I try to workout before I eat very much so I don't feel bad. But that being said, I often ride a bicycle to a local café to eat. When I overeat I don't have the option of not working out because that would mean I wouldn't make it home. I just take it easy on the way back.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I always eat over my calorie goal, then excersize to make up for it. I know that I will get back a minimum of 100 calories each day walking my dog, so plan my meals based on this. I try not to end the day with my calories in the red, (it only happened once when I didn't cook for myself), so if I have gone over by the end of the evening, I do 10 minutes step aerobics to claw them back!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised. When I have had a day when I've eaten too much, my workouts tend to be much more enjoyable - more energy and all that!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    This is what I do when I over-eat, and from past experience and failures it is essential!

Don't let one over-eating day turn into two...and three etc. Make sure you get back on track. You don't have to get all the calories back in a day or two, but mindful eating over the long run will always win over rare indulgences.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Accept that it happened and move on. Life happens and we shouldn't "punish" ourselves for it by undereating or over exercising. Where possible we should try and plan for lifes indulgences but where that isn't possible or life just happened, enjoy the moment and move on. One day of over eating will not make you fat and one day undereating will not make you skinny
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you feel very full i wouldn't be jumping around exercising, maybe go for a walk? don't do exercise to punish yourself for overeating though.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you don't have to exercise right after eating to get the benefit. CICO is a long game. You can make up the calories the next day, or for the next couple of days if you want. It won't make a difference physically (though I understand that 'making up' those calories as quickly as possible can make a huge difference mentally).

When I was in loss mode, I would generally just get calories back the next day or at my next scheduled workout. Even if I didn't completely offset the overage, the extra workout and/or effort gave me a mechanism to mentally put those calories behind me and move on.

Also, remember that one meal will never make a meaningful difference to your weight loss. Long-term habits are what count.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If by overeat you mean overindulge at a meal (I think of things like Thanksgiving or special occasion meals) I find that a walk can make me feel a lot better. Anything beyond that would make me fee gross! But a walk helps a lot! This is also ingrained in me since childhood- my dad, especially, would often suggest going for walk after stuffing ourselves silly after a holiday meal or Sunday dinner. Make room for dessert, he'd say!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Do any of you exercise after overeating? I overate by a few hundred calories and don't know if I should workout, I'm afraid it would make me feel sick. I'm thinking of eating a little under my calorie goal for the next few days to even it out. Opinions?

200 calories?

Go for a 1-hour walk or about a half-hour bicycle ride.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If I overdo it I just suck it up and try and cut back a little over the next few days but that's also because I already do a reasonable amount of exercise and during race season I tend to adhere to a training regimen with the purpose of race preparation (I don't really expect to lose weight during race season).

Keep in mind that it's a marathon not a sprint one day isn't going to derail your plans.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, clean the bathrooms, and then go for a brisk walk!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Hot tea, clean the bathrooms, and then go for a brisk walk!

Yeah ... sometimes if I'm just a little bit over and don't really want to go outside (dark, raining, etc.), I'll get all industrious cleaning the house. I won't log it, but I just know that perhaps rushing around the house, giving it a good clean, might possibly compensate for the extra 48 calories or whatever. :)