What kickstarted your weightloss?

Options
Hey all!

I'm back after a bit of a break from MFP and I'm ready to start making changes.

So my question for you today is, what was the first thing you changed when you decided it was time to lose weight? Did you walk more? Did you cut a type of food out? What was it?

Let me know!!
Xx Dayna

Replies

• mgbcan2
    mgbcan2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm having severe back problems due to my weight I have 5 two- 218 lb s and I went from a size 6 to a size 18 and expand of 3 years I'm very disappointed in myself but now I see that losing weight is going to help my health and it's as good a better be and by Future. I would say look at myself and the picture and seeing how hard it is to walk and how hard it is to do simple things I'm only 31 years old and I feel outdated enough is enough it's time to help myself and stop going for these quick fixes that I think they're going to help me but they only hurt me
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I developed an obesity-related complication. Docs told me it can be managed, not cured. Losing weight is going a long way toward managing it.
  • meltamy
    meltamy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm back after a bit of a break from MFP and I'm ready to start making changes.

So my question for you today is, what was the first thing you changed when you decided it was time to lose weight? Did you walk more? Did you cut a type of food out? What was it?

Let me know!!
    Xx Dayna

• meltamy
    meltamy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and just wanted to live a longer healthier life. I started slowly cutting out sugar and dairy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I decided to consistently eat less than I required....
  • msdemmie
    msdemmie Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A warning from my doctor is the short answer. What did I cut out - sweets, cream, cake, puddings, soda, pasta, rice, pizza, hard cheeses, wine and all/most processed foods - cut down bacon, cups of tea and coffee, ( I take both with one sugar now instead of two) potatoes, fried foods, bread, butter. I joined here, weigh all my food, watch my macros and WALK WALK WALK.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    This time around I made the decision to consistently track my meals/beverages.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    This may not sound encouraging but I have never had much success with doing little things that make a difference. I only have success when I am firing on all cylinders...eating at deficit(or maintenance), weight training and doing cardio. With that goes carefully monitoring my weight and logging and keeping a journal.
    As soon as I stop doing any of the things mentioned above, I tend to fall off the wagon and my progress regresses.

So for me...I commit to a full program. Good luck

That's the EXACT SAME for me! When I slack in one area, the other areas are not far behind!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Summer. It was just too hot to eat so much. I didn't decide to lose with until I noticed I'd already lost 20 pounds.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I signed on to be a Den Leader and needed to set a good example for my scouts.

Signed onto MFP that evening and did 30 mins of elliptical at the gym.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I smoked, I was always thin. What they call "skinny fat." No muscle to speak of.

I quit smoking in 2014. And started menopause. The weight crept up up up.

In 2016, I joined a gym and, coincidentally, at the same time, joined their annual team competition thing. It was fun -- hard work, but fun. The accountability to a coach and to my team members was very motivating -- as was being able to wear smaller clothes, and not feeling big and dumpy in my body.

After the program, I spent nine months off and on with motivation and being on the ball, but slowly everything tapered off -- the weighing my food went first, the logging my food went next, then I was going to the gym only three times a week, then only twice a week, then the holidays, and before I knew it, I had put all 23 or so pounds back on. It is possible the gain was a bit to do with hormone replacement therapy, but nevertheless, I'm back to my old weight and I had to box up my smaller clothes. :(

My jump start is again another team competition at my gym. Yes, I "SHOULD" be self-disciplined to able to do ALL of the right things on my own and incorporate it as a lifestyle change. But y'know, I've decided that it is okay for me right now to be motivated by competition, accountability, camaraderie and teamwork. For now, I am HAPPY that I'm back on the wagon. I'm back to the gym, I'm weighing and logging my food and I'm excited about fitting back into my clothes!
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My portion size of what I eat... Denise
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Cut down my alcohol intake, cut down on takeaway food intake and began walking.