Trying to lose again - advice needed

Options
I've fallen off the wagon more times than I've ever been on it and I'm constantly going around in circles. I have made a plan for moving forward and I just would like if someone can look over my plan and tell me if it seems ok please

Healthy Lifestyle Plan
Make good choices
Make protein the central part of each plan
Reduce sugar intake
Eat within my calorie goal every day - 1400
Don’t beat myself up if I go over just start again

I have 6 stone to lose and I am fairly active. I work Monday to Friday and I go to 2 Taekwondo classes, 1 strength training class and one circuits class religiously every week.

I have a few health issues, main one being hypothyroid.

Will this plan work?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    only thing I'd add is to weigh all your food to ensure you are eating the 1400 calories per day.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Put your statsinto MFP , log beforeyou eat it, eat the calories ,
    Caloriesand not beating yourselfup are all you need
  • flosoup38
    flosoup38 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Great idea of prelogging Amtyrell thank you!
  • flosoup38
    Options
    only thing I'd add is to weigh all your food to ensure you are eating the 1400 calories per day.

Weigh? Do you mean rather than just going by packet or MFP.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    flosoup38 wrote: »

Weighing is a lot more accurate - some packets of food say 1 serving/100g/200 calories - but when you weigh whatever it is the food is actually 120g or 90g. Once you do a particular brand a few times you'll know if they tend to be accurate.

More importantly, you should weigh anything solid or semisolid - don't use spoons/cups/slices/quantity volume measurements. A serving of something like peanut butter is terribly hard to eyeball accurately. And the MFP entry for "one banana" or "one egg" won't be accurate for the specific banana or egg you're eating. It's much better to list 125g banana, 80g egg or whatever.

Edit: I like the post above about more specific/measurable items for your goals. Definitely try not to make it an "all or nothing" plan too - it's better to stick to your goals as often as you can than to abandon them entirely the first time you slip. Personally, I don't set my weight loss goal too fast or set drastic limits on my calories - there is no reason this needs to be hard/stressful/painful/the focus of all your energy. I'm far more likely to see good and permanent results with small changes that I can turn into long term habits.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself. People go around in circles because they punish themselves for a slip up. Find out what your maintanence is. 1900? 2100? 2300?.. Now look at a .5lb loss. 1lb loss. 1.5lb loss. And finally the 2lb loss. Count your day a win if you eat just under maintanence with the determination to try harder the next day. At the end of the week, go back and look at all the days that were super good to moderately bad. I bet most will average out as "good". You just won that week. It doesn't have to be perfect to be considered a win. New goal? Try to beat that weeks average. Even if only by 1calorie. If you go over maintanence, consider that a fuel day. Chances are you won't do that often with watching that diary.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    flosoup38 wrote: »

Weighing is a lot more accurate - some packets of food say 1 serving/100g/200 calories - but when you weigh whatever it is the food is actually 120g or 90g. Once you do a particular brand a few times you'll know if they tend to be accurate.

More importantly, you should weigh anything solid or semisolid - don't use spoons/cups/slices/quantity volume measurements. A serving of something like peanut butter is terribly hard to eyeball accurately. And the MFP entry for "one banana" or "one egg" won't be accurate for the specific banana or egg you're eating. It's much better to list 125g banana, 80g egg or whatever.

Edit: I like the post above about more specific/measurable items for your goals. Definitely try not to make it an "all or nothing" plan too - it's better to stick to your goals as often as you can than to abandon them entirely the first time you slip. Personally, I don't set my weight loss goal too fast or set drastic limits on my calories - there is no reason this needs to be hard/stressful/painful/the focus of all your energy. I'm far more likely to see good and permanent results with small changes that I can turn into long term habits.

yes, this is what I meant in terms of weighing - far more accurate than guessing or measuring cups!
  • flosoup38
    Options
    Assuming that 1400 calories is the goal MFP gave you, and that you are tracking correctly and eating back 50-75% of your exercise calories, you will lose weight if you follow the plan. The big question is whether you are going to follow the plan.

I would add to the advice you've already received:
    Instead of "Make good choices" - be specific about what good choices are, under which circumstances.
    Instead of "Make protein the central part" - aim for balance.
    Instead of "Reduce sugar intake" - aim for variety.
    Instead of "Stuff I Know I Shouldn't Eat" - aim to eat everything you like, in moderation. Of course you should do what you need to avoid overeating, so you have to decide what moderation is to you, but that would normally be either keeping temptations out of reach on the daily, or portioning out moderate amounts regularly, and then owning your choice. Creating an artificial conflict between what you do and what you think you should be doing, is unnecessary stress-inducing.

If you work with your inclinations and preferences, values and schedule, not against them, you don't have to try, or go around in circles; you will need to exert some willpower now and then, but overall you'll feel like you're just going about living your life. When you feel like everything nice is forbidden, and if you think you can just keep on pushing through, you will "fall off the wagon" again and again. Don't do that. There is no wagon.

This is amazing! I'm going to sit down and work with this later. Thank you so much
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you usually fall off the wagon? Is it lack of variety in your day-to-day diet, or do you get too hungry to stick to your calorie goal, or is it something else? You would want to look for different solutions depending on why you usually fail.