Creating recipes on MFP..how do I convert to oz?

Options
When I create a new recipe on MFP, how do I convert it to oz for serving size? When I put everything in, it just says "1 serving"

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I create a new recipe on MFP, how do I convert it to oz for serving size? When I put everything in, it just says "1 serving"

You don't. You need to weigh the finished dish and divide by the number of servings you choose. Edit the recipe to show how many servings you are using.

Another thing to do: decide how many servings ahead of time and change the recipe to reflect that, then divide up into equal portions when serving.
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

You don't. You need to weigh the finished dish and divide by the number of servings you choose. Edit the recipe to show how many servings you are using.

Another thing to do: decide how many servings ahead of time and change the recipe to reflect that, then divide up into equal portions when serving.

You mean after I cook dinner for instance, I need to weigh the entire dinner?!

Yes, or divide it up into portions of equal weight to serve it.

The weight of the final dish is NOT the sum of the individual ingredient weights. Water gets cooked off, changing the total.
  • earlnabby
    Options

You mean after I cook dinner for instance, I need to weigh the entire dinner?!

Yes, or divide it up into portions of equal weight to serve it.

The weight of the final dish is NOT the sum of the individual ingredient weights. Water gets cooked off, changing the total.

How would I go about doing that with a casserole? Weigh the pan? lol

Yes.

Are you cooking for a family or just yourself?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I'm cooking for a family of 5..I make a lot of casseroles/crock pot/one pot meals.

Then you would need to weigh the dish first, make the meal, and weigh the finished meal (subtracting the dish). My scale is a 10 kg. one (22 lb) so I can do this with everything except my 6 quart crock pot since the crock weighs too much after filling.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It is cumbersome, but once you get the methods down and have your scale, paper, pen and calculator handy when you are cooking or logging food, you can do this. Once you get numbers on ANYTHING, write it down - save to your recipes here on MFP. That way, you only need to go through the chore once. Try several methods (continue to do searches here in the community -- that's where I found a couple of formulas). But, yes, for a casserole -- if you cut it or scoop it in equal portions, you can weigh just one. I'm just getting back into this, so the formula I use isn't jumping to the front of my brain, but I recall that I weighed everything to the gram and for some recipes a serving was a gram. Then, when I served a dish, I could weigh it to the gram. If it weighed 65 grams, then I had "65 servings" of one gram each.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Ok that makes sense..bummer about the crockpot I use that thing a lot :(

Test yours. Weigh it, then start filling it with water while it is still on the scale. If you don't get an error message (or some nutso number) it will work. use water to test because the weight in grams (or ounces) will be the same as the volume in milliliters (or ounces).
  • earlnabby
    Options
    It is cumbersome, but once you get the methods down and have your scale, paper, pen and calculator handy when you are cooking or logging food, you can do this. Once you get numbers on ANYTHING, write it down - save to your recipes here on MFP. That way, you only need to go through the chore once. Try several methods (continue to do searches here in the community -- that's where I found a couple of formulas). But, yes, for a casserole -- if you cut it or scoop it in equal portions, you can weigh just one. I'm just getting back into this, so the formula I use isn't jumping to the front of my brain, but I recall that I weighed everything to the gram and for some recipes a serving was a gram. Then, when I served a dish, I could weigh it to the gram. If it weighed 65 grams, then I had "65 servings" of one gram each.

Ahhh this is all confusing. Thank you. Every time I make a meal I will save it on here so I don't have to do it every time lol

That is what I do too. The only thing that might change is the actual weight of the meat. I edit accordingly and adjust my serving weight. For example: I made a dish with 32 oz of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Next time, I used 30 oz because that is how much was in the pack when I bought it. The dish made 4 servings, so I reduced the serving size by 1/2 oz (14 grams).
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I figure out the number of calories per ounce, and enter the total weight in ounces as the # of servings. That gives you flexibility to change your portion sizes, and makes it easier to track when sharing dishes (like casseroles) with other people.