Still feeling bigger. Anyone else?

Options
So I've been working out, meal prepping, and getting good results. I've been doing a lot of weight training so while the scale hasn't moved too much, I've lost a lot of inches. I've gone down a pant size, I'm stronger, and I have more energy. However I still feel like I'm the same as I was 3 months ago even if the scale and my measurements show change. Has anyone else felt like this or is still feeling like this? I'm feeling kinda down about it and I'd love to know if others have been through a similar situation and what helped.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I do, but I AM the same :)
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes. It takes your brain a LONG time to catch up with reality, especially if you have been a certain size for many years. I suggest taking a side-by-side pic. It helps.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes to progress pictures!!! Even when the numbers change, I always feel better and more accomplished by seeing a picture :smile:
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs and I don't think I look any different. My clothes and measurements tell me otherwise but it doesn't compute. I keep telling myself I'll take pictures after the next 5 lbs because that's going to be when the light bulb goes off (on?) and it all makes sense that I'm really losing.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm 14 kilos down and feel like I look the same as always! I think it's because we see ourselves every day.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yes, your mind is a funny thing. I am down 49 lbs and went from a size 10 to a size 4 and I still sometimes think I look and feel like I did at the beginning. It does lessen with time.
  • l305s589
    l305s589 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs and I don't think I look any different. My clothes and measurements tell me otherwise but it doesn't compute. I keep telling myself I'll take pictures after the next 5 lbs because that's going to be when the light bulb goes off (on?) and it all makes sense that I'm really losing.

Congrats on loosing the weight!! Your perception of your self can be killer, sometimes it's best to have a good friend who can keep you accounatbale and encourage you that they do see the results. It's best if you don't see them that often that way even the slightest change is noticible!
  • stacj27
    stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy I'm not the only one! Great job to everyone on the loses. Hopefully that light bulb will eventually go off for all of us. I guess the important thing is to keep going. I think I will start taking progress pics. So glad I'm not alone in feeling this way! Thanks for the reassurance everyone!
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds odd but I felt that way after losing weight then saw myself from behind in a picture and didn't even know it was me because I looked so good. It can be hard to see changes in yourself but one day you will look in the mirror or at a picture and say "woah who is that hottie!"
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Same here, down almost 50lbs and I still view myself the same in the mirror... I see others that are around my height/weight and they look so skinny, but I look terrible. I don't get it. Maybe one day I'll think I look okay.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 50+ lbs and still feel overweight at times

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I've lost over 100 and still feel obese. Because I am. But only 5 or so pounds away from being overweight, although I doubt I will feel different then.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm down 18/19 lbs, and my brain can't accept the fact that I should buy the next size down in tops. Even though after a few hours it's obvious what I have is baggy.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It happens to most of us.

It takes a while for the brain to catch up.

• sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

I've lost over 100 and still feel obese. Because I am. But only 5 or so pounds away from being overweight, although I doubt I will feel different then.

I'm 15 pounds away from "normal weight."
    I think I'll probably still feel obese.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I focus on what I can DO now, and the way it feels to move. Bend over to pick something up and straighten up with ease, stand longer without longing for a chair, jog from the car to my destination instead of walking. I love noticing these things, and it's so motivating. These are what help me to know that my body is very different from when I started.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45 pounds. I can barely see a difference. I'm down two pants sizes, but I don't see a difference unless I really look at my progress picture. If I just look in the mirror I still see the same old me, even though my shirts are smaller.

I was 150 pounds overweight though, so 45 pounds isn't as big a change as it sounds.
  • lucypstacy
    lucypstacy Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Same here honestly. I've lost 49lbs, but I still feel like I look the same. It's odd how you mind can work against you really. I know I've lost weight. The scales, my clothes, and friends all say so, but I have trouble seeing it. Pictures do help though.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options

That's an amazing loss, well done you should be proud of yourself! Keep up the great work :)

I'm actually pretty lean now, which makes it more frustrating because other people tell me I'm in good shape, but I often don't feel it