Hello, anyone doing keto or LCHF?

Options
All advice appreciated.

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome to MFP!

I'd suggest doing a quick search of the forums for "keto". There are some AMAZING and informative threads on here about that topic, and you're sure to find an awesome and supportive community of people who are going through the same journey!
  • cleesj
    cleesj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • photogmkr
    photogmkr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Dietdoctor.com
  • effiegetsfit
    effiegetsfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Reddit/keto! they have a huge community and so many questions and answers.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for Groups here, not so much in the general forums.......
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Options
    Exactly 5 months of doing keto today. I'm down over 90lbs.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Reddit/keto! they have a huge community and so many questions and answers.

We have a huge community here. Not sure why OP would want to go elsewhere.

Ten page thread discussing it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/40521662#Comment_40521662

338 page group with daily check ins: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • photogmkr
    Options
    OP might want to go elsewhere like diet doctor to get the facts and not the bro-science that is offered across the web. There is great information and knowledgeable people on this site and others, but getting a solid foundation from doctors and experts is always the best.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    photogmkr wrote: »
    OP might want to go elsewhere like diet doctor to get the facts and not the bro-science that is offered across the web. There is great information and knowledgeable people on this site and others, but getting a solid foundation from doctors and experts is always the best.

.........it still depends upon the doctor though. Some doctors are selling something (Dr. Oz) and will shill anything for a buck.
  • rae1721
    rae1721 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Exactly 5 months of doing keto today. I'm down over 90lbs.

Wow that's impressively amazing...... I just started the keto lifestyle a week ago and I have to say it's very challenging. You definitely have to be ready to be committed and determined to restrict yourself from carbs and sugar's. i've been able to lose 8 pounds so far and I have to say the start of the second week has been a lot easier.
  • photogmkr
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

.........it still depends upon the doctor though. Some doctors are selling something (Dr. Oz) and will shill anything for a buck.

Agree! Spend 10 minutes on that site though and you'll quickly see that no one is pushing anything. When I started my keto journey I ended up on that site early, did a ton of research there, and have been able to quickly figure out if something I'm reading is good advice or bad, or bro-science which is the worst.
  • cleesj
    cleesj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have any of you also taken exogenous ketones while on?
  • nspiredx3
    nspiredx3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto! I find a lot of good tips on pinterest. I just realized today my grapes have a LARGE amount of carbs :(....Keto can be a little tricky. I ended up printing a list of accepted foods on pinterest. Also, if you would like some recipes or food ideas I have some good ones i have recently made.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Agree! Spend 10 minutes on that site though and you'll quickly see that no one is pushing anything. When I started my keto journey I ended up on that site early, did a ton of research there, and have been able to quickly figure out if something I'm reading is good advice or bad, or bro-science which is the worst.

I don't do low carb (no medical issues) and elimination diets aren't a lifestyle change for me, but the little I did see is there is a monthly fee. They are certainly selling something, but perhaps it's legit.
  • TClark2850
    TClark2850 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as exogenous ketones. I took pruvit for about a week and gave it up. Some products are helpful for a jump start but in my opinion, anything that has the wording "along with diet and exercise" isn't worth spending money on. Any time anybody starts to diet and exercise, they will lose weight. The Keto Lifestyle works. My energy is up, my weight is down a bit but I do have a long way to go. Just stick with it and you'll reap the benefits in ways you couldn't imagine. Take care and good luck.
  • hesterific
    hesterific Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    cleesj wrote: »
    Have any of you also taken exogenous ketones while on?

No need for expensive pee, your body produces them like crazy all on its own. Plus, when you consume them, your body won't use the ones it's making. They're a money making ploy.