Treadmill Couch to 5k (c25k) Challenge

Options
Who wants to start a treadmill couch to 5k? You can jump in and join at any time. I thought with this insane heat we have been seeing lately (where I am) it would be a good idea to start a program that can be done indoors! :) No weather excuses.

You can find the plan here:

http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html

I just want to get in good shape and lose a little weight.

Ready... set.. GO!

Replies

• blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I JUST started this today and completed 1:1 feeling great about myself. There are sooo many people doing this; even another friend of mine on MFP started it today so that we can keep each other on track.

Good luck to you!
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    Hello! I started the c25k treadmill version last week (just the first day) sooo i would love to join this challenge.
  • vet2be3
    vet2be3 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck to you, too. Seems like you are already off to a great start!
  • vet2be3
    Options
    Great, Cindy. Glad to have you!
  • Hoteffinmess
    Options
    Good luck to you all! I just finished Week 3, day 1 (for the second time....ugh)

My advice is to not let it intimidate you! I learned that I have to slow my running speed. I was doing it at like 5.0 mpg but now that I do it between 4.0 and 4.5 mph, I am able to get more distance.

Get some good music and go for it! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    Options
    I was wondering what other people walked and ran at on the treadmill version. I didn't find 5.0 too bad, but we'll see how I feel about it as time goes on haha
  • blueeyedtraveler
    Options
    Oh, and anyone can feel free to add me as a friend to keep each other updated on our progress :)
  • cindymarguerite
    Options
    i usually walk at 3.5 and run at 5.0 (: i could definitely run a little faster but i'm afraid of burning out too quickly. so for now i'll stick with that! here's a question for you guys~

do you have fancy running shoes? or regular beat-up sneakers?
  • vet2be3
    Options
    Well, from the times I have used the treadmill in the past, I usually walk at 4-5 and run at about 7-9. I use running shoes, but they are a few years old. They are sort of cheap running shoes, to be honest. But I have heard that without running shoes you do risk injury.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi I just did W1D1 today on the c25k... really enjoyed it!

I'm doing it on the treadmill until it gets to spring here (I'm in NZ) so then will make the transition to running outside. My walk is 6.1ish and run was 8.3. Today I did just over 3k which I was pleased with for a first attempt. My goal is to be able to do a 6k run here in Auckland in April.

I have some cheap-*kitten* running shoes, but my mum is treating me to some Asics Kayanos which I totally can't wait for! Completing the programme will mean I can treat myself to some really cool running gear ready for my outside adventures :)
  • vet2be3
    Options
    Ok. My memory must have been really poor, because I ended up doing today's with 3.5 as the walking speed and 5.0 as the running speed. Or maybe it was just that last time I was on a treadmill it was only 15 minutes. So we are doing the same pace, Cindy.

The really annoying thing for today was that the treadmill kept on shutting off and saying something like "user undetected." No clue why.

I might end up reducing the running speed as the weeks go on to compensate for the longer duration. I can always build up speed after I have the endurance. :)
  • vet2be3
    Options
    I just found a thread that addresses running shoes and potential problems with running. Pretty useful. Here is the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/295466-advice-for-new-runners
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing C25K, but I'm doing the podrunner interval training for 5k (I love it!). I am currently in week 4 but I started at week 3 because I've already been running for a while, but wanted to increase my distance without pushing too far too fast.

My walk is at 4.3 and my run is at 6.1. I hope to increase speed eventually but I shin splint pretty easily so distance is enough for me :)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I did W1D2 today... :)

Again did not feel particularly 'puffed out' when I did it so I ran through the programme twice - does anyone else do this?

H :)
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you all - I did the C25K recently, gone from thinking I wouldn't be able to run more than 5mins to completing a race for life - and managing to run it all.
    Think it is excellent how it builds up in gentle stages....keep going with it, it really is worth it. :-)
  • KristinL19
    KristinL19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just finished W1D1 !

I have been trying to get into the habit of running, but I always got too tired, and could only run for about 8 minutes at a time. So, I'm really hoping that this program helps me.

Good luck to all of you!! Feel free to add me as a friend so we can supporrt each other!
    -Kristin
  • vet2be3
    Options
    Glad you are joining us, Kristen. I'm hoping this will increase my stamina, too. Best of luck!
  • meplunk
    meplunk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started this today but began with week four since I do run/walk a few days a week. It was good and I like to have a structured plan to measure improvement. I would love to be an outside runner, but have a mental block with it. Love the constant feedback from a treadmill to keep me going. Also helps that by going to the gym to run someone watches my three little ones.
  • KristinL19
    KristinL19 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Are you guys doing this 3 times a week? More? Less? Just curious. I'm going to try the recommended 3 times a week, and do strength or other cardio on the other days ... i might try starting the 30 day shred again.
  • becky_turcotte
    Options
    I just started week two, again. I've been back and forth with this program for a while, the furthest I've made was week 3. So heres to another try. LOL