Scale not moving despite trying EVERYTHING! HELP!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but don't assume that you can't lose weight because you are 40. I had a doctor too, that told me I should lose all the weight I can before age 40 because afterwards it would be impossible. I am female and she was too. Well I started on MFP and in 2 months lost 17 lbs. tracking my calories--eating back all of my exercise calories and measuring with cups and spoons. I have a lot to lose, which makes it easier at first, but I wouldn't have as much to lose if I hadn't believed that doctor for 10 years. I didn't expect anything by counting calories but it has worked, and I'm 51 going on 52. I just got a scale to weigh my food so as I lose I will get more accurate with the logging, which is important.

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    One more thing, OP, have you had your thyroid tested? That is the one thing that my current doctor said could affect inability to lose weight. I had mine tested and suspected there was nothing wrong, and there wasn't. Shortly afterwards I started on MFP and have been very pleased with the results.
  • EllyAHJ
    EllyAHJ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the debate. I think the clear thing is the scale v. measuring cups/spoons for tracking, as well as eating to my 'earned' calories. Exercise cals are off. The digital scale is here. Let's see what this next couple of weeks bring...

It's worth pointing out that I am sugar- and grain-free. And, eek, nearly 41...as my doctor so "helpfully" pointed out, I may be feeling demain ageing in the mix. Bleurgh!

When you say 'sugar free' what do you mean? Do you mean no sugar at all, like you eat no fruits and vegetables? Or are you just talking about limiting foods that contain added sugar? Big difference.

Either way, if your calories in are less than your calories out you will lose weight, so sugar and grains aren't really a factor.

I am completely sugar free, i.e. no refined, honey, agave, or other 'natural' sugar replacements; no breads or pasta; no starchy veggies; only berries and the occasional apple and pear for fruit.

I think portion control is truly looking like the culprit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I appreciate the debate. I think the clear thing is the scale v. measuring cups/spoons for tracking, as well as eating to my 'earned' calories. Exercise cals are off. The digital scale is here. Let's see what this next couple of weeks bring...

It's worth pointing out that I am sugar- and grain-free. And, eek, nearly 41...as my doctor so "helpfully" pointed out, I may be feeling demain ageing in the mix. Bleurgh!

When you say 'sugar free' what do you mean? Do you mean no sugar at all, like you eat no fruits and vegetables? Or are you just talking about limiting foods that contain added sugar? Big difference.

Either way, if your calories in are less than your calories out you will lose weight, so sugar and grains aren't really a factor.

I am completely sugar free, i.e. no refined, honey, agave, or other 'natural' sugar replacements; no breads or pasta; no starchy veggies; only berries and the occasional apple and pear for fruit.

If you're eating berries, apples, and pears, you're not sugar-free (not that you need to be in order to lose weight).
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    Everybody is different, but don't assume that you can't lose weight because you are 40. I had a doctor too, that told me I should lose all the weight I can before age 40 because afterwards it would be impossible. I am female and she was too. Well I started on MFP and in 2 months lost 17 lbs. tracking my calories--eating back all of my exercise calories and measuring with cups and spoons. I have a lot to lose, which makes it easier at first, but I wouldn't have as much to lose if I hadn't believed that doctor for 10 years. I didn't expect anything by counting calories but it has worked, and I'm 51 going on 52. I just got a scale to weigh my food so as I lose I will get more accurate with the logging, which is important.

I definitely wanted to SCREAM MY HEAD OFF when my doctor dismissed me with his middle age fear mongering!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

If you're eating berries, apples, and pears, you're not sugar-free (not that you need to be in order to lose weight).

I am actually eating MORE sugar now than before I started losing weight. I never had a sweet-tooth before but have been adding fruit to my diet and randomly got into the habit of having a handful of jelly beans before bed. No idea what that's about. It certainly hasn't effected my weight loss.
  • EllyAHJ
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    One more thing, OP, have you had your thyroid tested? That is the one thing that my current doctor said could affect inability to lose weight. I had mine tested and suspected there was nothing wrong, and there wasn't. Shortly afterwards I started on MFP and have been very pleased with the results.

Yeah, just did that too. All normal...I think reaching out on here has been the kick I need to be really, really strict for a while and see what I can accomplish! Rrrrawwwr!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I am actually eating MORE sugar now than before I started losing weight. I never had a sweet-tooth before but have been adding fruit to my diet and randomly got into the habit of having a handful of jelly beans before bed. No idea what that's about. It certainly hasn't effected my weight loss.

Yeah, between fruit, vegetables, grains, and foods with added sugar, I had many days that I exceeded MFP's sugar goals when I was losing weight. It was never a problem for me, it always came down to the calories.
  • EllyAHJ
    Options

Berries and the occasional apple and pear is as dessert, very rarely. Sugars of all kinds spike crazy food cravings for me, so these are eaten very rarely.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Berries and the occasional apple and pear is as dessert, very rarely. Sugars of all kinds spike crazy food cravings for me, so these are eaten very rarely.

I'm not calling you out for eating fruit, I'm just pointing out that they do have sugar (as do many vegetables).
  • EllyAHJ
    Options

I'm not calling you out for eating fruit, I'm just pointing out that they do have sugar (as do many vegetables).

Totally! Didn't feel like you were calling me out at all