Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat, the new normal

Options
cjpnh
cjpnh Posts: 78 Member
Wrap your thumb and forefinger around your wrist, if the tip of your finger and thumb overlap you are small framed. If they just touch, you are medium framed. If they don't touch you are large framed.

We have come so accustomed to overweight being the new norm that most people won't accept that these are their healthy weights. They want so bad for it not to be accurate.

7efv5lxzl32j.png

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about female weights, but 128-147 for a 5'8" woman doesn't seem "fat" to me. (picked that point because it's somewhat "average" height and frame
  • cjpnh
    cjpnh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    4xhe1c0g2adr.jpeg
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Your point?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    BMI is a reasonable guideline to look at, but there have to be other considerations. I'm by no means a body builder, but I'm fit and athletic..I'm overweight per BMI by about 8 Lbs...I'm not fat. BMI should be used in conjunction with BF%.

Except thise charts aren't even accurate for bmi. The first chart is so off it's funny. It says be ause i can overlap my thumb and finger that at 5'8 131 (bmi 19.9) is the max weight I should be. I'm in the 18s atm but 20 isn't fat

Yeah, it gives my max weight as 116. 116 is a perfectly acceptable weight for someone my height, but that doesn't mean that if someone is 120 at my height they're overweight.