Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat, the new normal

Options

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    If I followed that chart, at 138lbs I would look like a meth addict and that's even going by the large frame and I am actually medium. They don't account for body composition obviously. Ditch the chart.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Boo. I thought this was going to be a debate on the HAES/NAAFA movements. :/
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Interestingly it is pretty equivalent to current BMI charts for 5’4 woman. The older chart ranges from 108 to 138 lb. BMI normal is 110 to 145. Pretty close, I’d say.

Of course, my index finger and thumb don’t touch - but I doubt I’m particularly large framed. I just have short fingers.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have long and skinny fingers, can easily stretch 10 keys on a piano and a frenemy in jr high claimed my hands looked like daddy long legs (I do have only 5 fingers on each hand, for the record, including my thumbs). I don't think I actually have a small frame, but apparently my long fingers mean that I am fat at 125 (I'm 5'3) and need to be 113 or less.

I think I'll stick with BF% and BMI, but thanks.

Finger twin! I definitely have pianist hands
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have long and skinny fingers, can easily stretch 10 keys on a piano and a frenemy in jr high claimed my hands looked like daddy long legs (I do have only 5 fingers on each hand, for the record, including my thumbs). I don't think I actually have a small frame, but apparently my long fingers mean that I am fat at 125 (I'm 5'3) and need to be 113 or less.

I think I'll stick with BF% and BMI, but thanks.

Lol, yeah and I had trouble stretching an octave with my short stubby fingers. Don’t believe that I’m actually large boned because they don’t touch.
  • stormcrow2
    stormcrow2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    or you might just have short fingers.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the purpose of this is. Is this intended to be a rejection of BMI in favor of a method with less supporting objective evidence?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    NIH has standards for measuring frame size: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/imagepages/17182.htm However, the majority of weight is stored as fat and soft tissue.. not bone. Bones don't have large weight changes from small to avg frame size. Also--- for my height, 6'0, BMI says I can weigh 137-183 lbs. That's pretty much the same scale as that chart anyway.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    While I agree that we are starting to accept higher and higher weights and bigger sizes and this is becoming a health issue for our society as rates of obesity are climbing, at an alarming rate.

However, here's where it's a hard sell: I have done a few Bod Pod sessions which are the ones where you sit in a capsule and it measures your weight and volume to determine your BF%. I am 5'10 and I have about 160lbs of LBM on me. On all of those scales, even if I could get down to 0% BF I am pushing the limits for what I should weigh. And body composition is important to consider when looking at someone's health. I am obviously not a petite woman, but I strongly believe 160 - 170lbs is unrealistic for someone with the body comp I have.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Is this only about women?
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    While I agree somewhat with the title of this post, that being overweight has been more normalized in today's society, that initial chart is pretty hilarious to use as the standard for your point. What the "fingers around the wrist test" seems to tell me is whether someone has long fingers or whether someone has short fingers. ;)

As a "small framed" individual by those standards (no way am I small framed) weighing in at 143 pounds and approximately 17% body fat, i'm considered overweight for the small frame category and nearly overweight in the large frame category. It would be physically impossible for me to diet down 20 pounds to get to just the top end of that small frame range.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, currently 149 and my fingers overlap. But I have skinny wrists and long fingers. My shoulders and hips tell a different story though. After doing some logical digging I've determined that I'm "medium framed" and weigh the perfect amount.

I've been down to 143 before and I look sick. And it's hard to maintain. So if the whole fingers overlapping thing is true, I'd need to be MUCH lighter to be normal.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

The chart in the OP is women-specific, yes. Is that your question? I mean, I'm sure body type by finger length and wrist girth is equally idiotic for men though. #feminism #shortfingersmeanimfat
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Apparently. I'm not sure I've ever seen the "wrap your fingers around your wrist" test applied to men (maybe it has, and I've just missed it). Combined with the chart in the OP "most people" seems to be a euphemism, for "most women".
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    What a load of hogwash. This chart gives a 5'8" woman with a large frame a maximum weight of 143 lbs.. or a BMI of 21.7 . There's NO statistical evidenced that a woman's weight needs to be that low. None. This recommendation skews to the lowest end of the healthy range of the BMI chart. Not even Asians, who have the lowest recommended body weights, have *quite* that low an upper limit.

89rgvozaur3y.jpg

It's pretty clear there's increased morbidity and mortality associated with very low body weights. And your charts recommend body weights low enough to be on the steep up-curve of morbidity and mortality, and say that weights that are clearly in the lowest morbidity/mortality region are overweight. (Lancet 2009; 373: 1083–96)

To illustrate how bad that chart is, this is me. I'm still overweight by that chart you've posted.
    7ote2ayxei2c.jpg

Its sillier than that, actually, when coupled with the truly idiotic finger/wrist test. It seems, per this test, I am large framed (I have large wrists, but a narrow pelvis). So this is underweight: